Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watch out for deer...it's that time of year again.

Old 10-21-16, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Watch out for deer...it's that time of year again.

Most of you are probably well-aware of the hazards of deer on our roadways, but it's especially important this time of year, which, in many parts of the U.S. is deer-mating season (typically at its peak in November). Along with mating season comes a suppression of their usual caution in dashing out into traffic. If you see a female (doe) without antlers run across the road ahead of you, be aware that a male (buck) with antlers may be close behind. In some cases, young bucks may not have visible horns or antlers, either. So, be ready to slow down, hit the brakes, or swerve on a split-second notice...and, of course, keep your speed down to start with. A collision with a deer, especially a big full-grown buck, can be quite an impact, and deer-collisions account for a significant portion of insurance claims/medical expenses each year. A friend of mine, for instance, had a Nissan Quest minivan that was not much more than a year old, and hit a big buck. There was enough damage to total even a vehicle that new (well into five figures). His wife suffered cuts that required a number of stitches, because the air bags didn't go off...the deer hit the front fender at a point that didn't trigger the sensors, and bounced up on the windshield. So, the dangers of a collision are quite real.

This year, it seems to be starting in my area (D.C. suburbs) even earlier than usual. Today, for instance, I had two fairly close calls. The first was with a solitary doe (or young buck?) running right across the road in front of me, on an off-ramp from a major highway into a shopping mall. I missed her by around maybe 20 feet. The second was on a major highway with four lanes of traffic, and cars on both sides of me, but no one in front for a while. A doe ran out into the road, stopped right in the middle of the multi-lanes for a second or two, and then continued all the way across...sure enough, a buck, apparantly looking for a little romance, ran out a couple of seconds behind her, and more or less repeated the same thing. I had to brake moderately hard and swerve to the right (mindful of traffic in the adjacent lane) and back around...I noticed traffic behind me, in the mirror, doing likewise. Fortunately, no cars hit either of them. As we get into the peak of mating season, of course, one can expect more of this.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-21-16 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 06:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw one while I was walking on the greenway earlier today, huge doe. Also the road I live on is just lousy with deer, its all wooded and backs up to the back side of the airport. Of course all that land is owned by the airport authority, so no hunting. See them all the time driving at night, usually grazing in this one guy's yard.
Old 10-22-16, 09:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hit a deer head-on a couple of months ago.

On my motorcycle!

Kept the bike upright without crashing, but it bashed my fender and front mudguard.

Stupid deer.

Old 10-23-16, 12:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ Did you end up with some good venison ?
Old 10-23-16, 03:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I hit a deer head-on a couple of months ago.

On my motorcycle!

Kept the bike upright without crashing, but it bashed my fender and front mudguard.

Stupid deer.

Thank goodness you yourself came out of that one OK....especially on a bike, with little if any protection.

Yeah, it's easy to say stupid deer (as with stupid squirrels and other wildlife)...but that is their instinct, not only hunting for food, but especially during mating season. They don't always understand the dangers of traffic......and studies have shown that deer are sometimes mesmerized or entranced by headlights at night, and don't get out of the way sometimes, even when they have a chance to.
Old 10-23-16, 03:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^^^ Did you end up with some good venison ?
Many people do, especially in rural areas, where deer meat is a staple. I myself don't eat red meat or pork, though, for health reasons......and that includes deer and lamb.
Old 10-23-16, 08:38 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I was in Annapolis and one ran right in front of my car and I missed it by a hair. I couldn't believe it didn't hit my 3 month old IS350.
Old 10-24-16, 06:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

We just returned from a road trip on the Great River Road along the Mississippi. On both sides of the river in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin we saw a couple of deer that had been hit and a BIG group in a field in Wisconsin. I was on high alert especially at dusk and after dark. A lot of nice driving 2 lane roads BTW.
Old 10-24-16, 09:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for this. There was a horrible accident in my town last week--a driver swerved to miss a deer, and ran down a father and a daughter walking home from a local town event one evening. The 7 year old girl was killed. Sometimes, avoiding the accident can be just as devastating. Everyone drive safe!
Old 10-24-16, 09:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I am fortunate enough (or unfortunate enough) to have deer in my neighborhood year round. Our road is a winding one and deer in the road is a frequent occurrence that can really take you by surprise as you round a bend. I hope I never hit one, but I try to be very alert and ready.
Old 10-24-16, 11:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 10-26-16, 09:41 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Friends used to trailer their touring bike up to the Texas Hill Country NW of Austin (the ride from Houston being an absolute bore) where they'd unload and ride the beautiful Highland Lakes area. About this time of year on a winding road (FM 2769) down to Volente on Lake Travis, they encountered a spike buck who was determined to cross the narrow 2-lane directly in front of them. The deer was in mid-leap when the man caught the little guy who had managed to poke his head between the man's right arm and the tank, but didn't quite knock the bike and now three passengers down. With his wife screaming from the back seat, he managed to hold on until he got the bike stopped . . . but now what do you do? He had a tiger by the tail, with the little guy's sharp horns twisting back and forth as he attempted to escape the headlock my friend had on him. After a few seconds of this, in desperation he simply threw the spike away from him, hoping not to be gored in the process. As the buck staggered backwards he quickly gained his footing and executed a neat jump over the bike and disappeared into the woods at the edge of the road none the worse for wear. He probably wasn't nearly as shaken as my friends who thought for years they'd dodged a very large bullet.

Of course there are things out there a few sizes larger than deer . . . and they demand the right of way . . .

Elk Crossing, Hwy 101 North of Klamath, CA
Old 10-26-16, 11:04 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are everywhere in the state of Iowa....and yet we have such a small window to extract them legally.
Old 10-26-16, 11:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by airgas1998
they are everywhere in the state of Iowa....and yet we have such a small window to extract them legally.
My sister lived in Cedar Rapids and a few years ago the city hired hunters to thin out the population. I guess the program helped, but don't know if they repeated it or not.
Old 10-26-16, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Thanks for this. There was a horrible accident in my town last week--a driver swerved to miss a deer, and ran down a father and a daughter walking home from a local town event one evening. The 7 year old girl was killed. Sometimes, avoiding the accident can be just as devastating. Everyone drive safe!
I see you are in PA. That state (and adjoining WV) both have huge deer populations...arguably the largest East of the Mississippi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watch out for deer...it's that time of year again.