Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Confirmed: Buick Verano Will Disappear After Brief 2017 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 09:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Confirmed: Buick Verano Will Disappear After Brief 2017 Model Year

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/re...17-model-year/

So GM has confirmed the end of the Verano, I think Cadillac will make a Cruze based version to take its place.
Old 06-07-16, 10:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Quite a bit of discussion about that here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ye-verano.html
Old 06-07-16, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

So GM has confirmed the end of the Verano
Yes, Jill.......I'm quite aware of it.

The next Verano is also going to be based on the Astra/Cruze...they are just not offering it in the American market. The lame (IMO) excuse for dropping it is that they need the factory-space for more SUVs. The Encore and Enclave, for example, are selling head over heels. And the new Envision SUV is going to be Chinese-built.
Old 06-07-16, 03:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe they've changed their mind about having the Envision being built in China, or there might not be enough capacity in China to meet demand for North America and China.

Personally I can see the market for the Verano being taken care of by upper trim levels of the Cruze. I think the real problem is that when gas prices spike way back up in a couple years and combined with a recession, GM is really going to be screwing their Buick/GMC dealers by only having expensive, thirsty SUV's and $30,000+ Regals and Lacrosses to sell. The Buick/GMC dealers aren't going to have anything on their lot that is under $30k and gets a better than 30mpg combined rating when the economy tanks and gas prices go up again.
Old 06-07-16, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Maybe they've changed their mind about having the Envision being built in China, or there might not be enough capacity in China to meet demand for North America and China.

Personally I can see the market for the Verano being taken care of by upper trim levels of the Cruze. I think the real problem is that when gas prices spike way back up in a couple years and combined with a recession, GM is really going to be screwing their Buick/GMC dealers by only having expensive, thirsty SUV's and $30,000+ Regals and Lacrosses to sell. The Buick/GMC dealers aren't going to have anything on their lot that is under $30k and gets a better than 30mpg combined rating when the economy tanks and gas prices go up again.
The Buick Encore at $24,065 (base) gets 28city/34hw gets pretty darn close, but that's about it.
Old 06-07-16, 04:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Buick Encore at $24,065 (base) gets 28city/34hw gets pretty darn close, but that's about it.
That mileage is better than the Verano
Old 06-07-16, 04:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I forgot about that ugly thing. Styled after a potato. No room at all in it, there are much better, bigger SUV's for the same price, and I think its sales reflect that.
Old 06-07-16, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I can see the market for the Verano being taken care of by upper trim levels of the Cruze.
Not even in the same league. Though the Cruze has a nice interior trim, the Verano's cushy, overstuffed seats, sound insulation, transmission smoothness, and overall refinement is far more upscale.

I think the real problem is that when gas prices spike way back up in a couple years and combined with a recession, GM is really going to be screwing their Buick/GMC dealers by only having expensive, thirsty SUV's and $30,000+ Regals and Lacrosses to sell. The Buick/GMC dealers aren't going to have anything on their lot that is under $30k and gets a better than 30mpg combined rating when the economy tanks and gas prices go up again.
Yes, that's my guess, too.....when gas prices go back up, people are going to want downsized luxury or semi-luxury products like the Verano, and the industry will be short of them.
Old 06-07-16, 04:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not even in the same league. Though the Cruze has a nice interior trim, the Verano's cushy, overstuffed seats, sound insulation, transmission smoothness, and overall refinement is far more upscale.

Yes, that's my guess, too.....when gas prices go back up, people are going to want downsized luxury or semi-luxury products like the Verano, and the industry will be short of them.
A new Cruze is coming out for 2017, so we'll see if they push it more upscale in the higher trim levels. I'd argue that they could make the upper level Cruze LTZ(or whatever they call it) more than just leather seats, and actually put more sound insulation, better/nicer trim, bigger engine, and all the stuff your Verano has on it that the current Cruze lacks.

GM is the king of redundancy since they have 2 main dealer networks while every other automaker has one. Sometimes the redundancy can be pretty nice, like your Verano. Other times it leaves you scratching your head, like asking why you'd pay $20k more for an Escalade vs a Denali or an XTS vs an Impala.
Old 06-07-16, 04:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I forgot about that ugly thing. Styled after a potato. No room at all in it, there are much better, bigger SUV's for the same price, and I think its sales reflect that.
I'm not a fan of it either, but it seems to be enjoying this CUV wave here in the States.

Buick

Encore was up 26 percent, marking 29 consecutive months of retail sales growth.
May Sales Thread
Old 06-07-16, 05:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I'm not a fan of it either, but it seems to be enjoying this CUV wave here in the States.

May Sales Thread

Interesting, I guess people will buy anything as long as its a body style/type of car that is "in fashion", even if there are much better options IMO
Old 06-08-16, 04:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Encore was up 26 percent, marking 29 consecutive months of retail sales growth.
Yes, it is becoming remarkably popular. One of my colleagues at my church just got one himself.....I referred him to the guy who sold me my Verano. Though it has a typically nice Buick interior and trim, I myself find the Encore a little too stubby-looking and too small of an engine (1.4L turbo) for my tastes. IMO, it should have been based on the Verano's compact platform instead of the Chevy Sonic's subcompact one. But he loves his new Encore....and that is what matters.
Old 06-08-16, 11:50 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't see the attraction of these new CUVs even though everyone seems to be getting one. They're heavier than sedans of similar length, the driving dynamics are compromised, mileage is a lot lower because of that weight and optional AWD, they cost more, yet they're flying off the dealer lots. The higher driving position becomes pointless when the road is clogged full of tall vehicles. Most buyers never venture off flat asphalt so why are they buying these things?
Old 06-09-16, 04:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A new Cruze is coming out for 2017, so we'll see if they push it more upscale in the higher trim levels. I'd argue that they could make the upper level Cruze LTZ(or whatever they call it) more than just leather seats, and actually put more sound insulation, better/nicer trim, bigger engine, and all the stuff your Verano has on it that the current Cruze lacks.

GM is the king of redundancy since they have 2 main dealer networks while every other automaker has one. Sometimes the redundancy can be pretty nice, like your Verano. Other times it leaves you scratching your head, like asking why you'd pay $20k more for an Escalade vs a Denali or an XTS vs an Impala.
Interesting point about the sound insulation- the Verano actually has real time Bose Noise Cancellation system that works full time in the passenger cabin, pumping in phase inverted sound signals.
Old 06-09-16, 05:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
I can't see the attraction of these new CUVs even though everyone seems to be getting one. They're heavier than sedans of similar length, the driving dynamics are compromised, mileage is a lot lower because of that weight and optional AWD, they cost more, yet they're flying off the dealer lots. The higher driving position becomes pointless when the road is clogged full of tall vehicles. Most buyers never venture off flat asphalt so why are they buying these things?
Why? Most likely because of space efficiency. If you are at a yard sale or thrift-store, for example, and see a good bargain on a piece of used furniture, you might not be able to cram it into a small sedan.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: Buick Verano Will Disappear After Brief 2017 Model Year