Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tire Tread on Lease Turn In

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 07:45 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tire Tread on Lease Turn In

Does anyone have definitive information on what kind of tire inspection Lexus does on a lease turn in?
I have read different things but the only blurb I have seen from Lexus says tires must meet manufactures spec and can have no cords showing.

I have less than eight months left and the original Bridgestones will not be down to wear indicators.

If I am sure I need to replace the tires, I will replace them now, so I can enjoy them until turn in date.

I am tempted to leave them on the car and take my chances, but I don't want to be charged for a set of tires after I'm through with the car.

Any experience or info would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-15, 08:02 PM
isekii
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alternative is to get a set of tires use them instead of your current and enjoy it. Swap it back and return it with the current tires.

Sell off the temporarily used set for some bucks
Old 12-28-15, 09:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I have 2.5 years to go and my tires are already down to almost at the wear bar.
Old 12-29-15, 09:04 AM
DVADER
Driver

I called lexus financial services prior to signing my lease with the same question you have and was told it has to have enough tread left to pass state inspection.

My previous auto lease ( different manufacturer) said I could turn the tires in bald and still wouldn't get charged. Welcome to Lexus lol.
Old 12-29-15, 10:57 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by DVADER
I called lexus financial services prior to signing my lease with the same question you have and was told it has to have enough tread left to pass state inspection.

My previous auto lease ( different manufacturer) said I could turn the tires in bald and still wouldn't get charged. Welcome to Lexus lol.
Well they do sell a plan that allows you to return the leased car with whatever tire wear level. I declined it because I knew I would need new tires before the end of my lease.

Some Lexus dealers will waive a certain amount of wear and tear stuff at the end of a lease if you lease another car from them.
Old 12-29-15, 12:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

If the car is to be sold as a CPO the tires must have at least 5/32" tread remaining or the Lexus dealer will put on a new set of tires anyway.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-29-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 02:12 PM
DVADER
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Well they do sell a plan that allows you to return the leased car with whatever tire wear level. I declined it because I knew I would need new tires before the end of my lease.

Some Lexus dealers will waive a certain amount of wear and tear stuff at the end of a lease if you lease another car from them.
the plan that covered tires and excess wear and tear up to $7,000 cost $875. I can go and get used tires to replace bald ones for $40-100 each and thats if i need them at lease turn in. The tire and rim package plan from lexus was $15 extra a month or $540 on a 36 month lease but i was told it covered scracthed rims and tire defects but not tread wear.
Old 12-29-15, 06:17 PM
jahdish
Rookie

I turned my car in a couple weeks ago. Had about 12 k on rear and fronts maybe 3k. Had to get them as cords were about to show and I don't like the idea of a blowout at speed. The lease turn in guide just says they cannot have sidewall damage or show cords.

The thing that threw me off when turning the car in is that they did not inspect the car on the spot. Instead they said a third party will inspect and LFS will notify me of anything beyond normal wear and tear. I definitely do not agree with this process. I should have been able to sign off on any and all liability that day.
Old 12-29-15, 06:22 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I just turned in two 2013 Lexus with 36K miles and took advantage of LFS free pre-lease-end inspection. The inspector took about an hour per car, prepared a detailed report, noted that the tires were all below 3/32 and said he did not expect a problem. The cars were turned in that way and neither was billed for any excess wear. I was impressed.

Dave Mac
Old 12-30-15, 08:27 AM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I just turned in two 2013 Lexus with 36K miles and took advantage of LFS free pre-lease-end inspection. The inspector took about an hour per car, prepared a detailed report, noted that the tires were all below 3/32 and said he did not expect a problem. The cars were turned in that way and neither was billed for any excess wear. I was impressed.

Dave Mac
Dave Mac, could you enlighten me on the free lease-end inspection? I have not heard of that.

I appreciate all the replies. I think I will take my chances and keep the original tires.

Has anyone turned one in and been charged for a set of tires?
Old 12-30-15, 09:17 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Dave Mac
Are you planning on going back to Lexus? If so, did you check to see if they would waive the fee if any for the tires?

I leased back in '06 and turned in the Lexus but of course I didn't go back to Lexus at the time. However, my tires weren't bad since I had gotten rims/tires.
Old 12-30-15, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I have read different things but the only blurb I have seen from Lexus says tires must meet manufactures spec and can have no cords showing.
If tires are worn to the point where cords are showing, it's gone beyond a matter of a simple extra charge for wear. At that point, they are clearly dangerous, and need to be replaced immediately.

Old 01-22-16, 04:25 PM
sbaldwin77
Rookie

Dave Mac
I have a scratch on my rear bumper that I got at my child's school. No dent just a scratch to the paint by a reckless parent. I did the pre-inspection and the inspector said it wouldn't be a problem. I was going to pay to get it fixed before turning it in. According to the report I don't have to pay. Has anyone ever got a a report that says normal wear and tear only to get billed for something crazy later?
Old 01-23-16, 01:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by petiepye
Does anyone have definitive information on what kind of tire inspection Lexus does on a lease turn in?

I have less than eight months left and the original Bridgestones will not be down to wear indicators.

If I am sure I need to replace the tires, I will replace them now, so I can enjoy them until turn in date.

I am tempted to leave them on the car and take my chances, but I don't want to be charged for a set of tires after I'm through with the car.

Any experience or info would be appreciated.
Is that what your lease says--tires can have not cords showing? I would expect the lease would have actual wear specs that are required.