Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus shows off 2016 flagships in 'Different Routes'

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus shows off 2016 flagships in 'Different Routes'

'Different Routes'

'Shortcut'

Last edited by Hoovey689; 10-22-15 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 11:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The race to the top commercial is kinda cool. Unexpected from Lexus.

Too bad both of the flagships date back to 2006 and 2008 models.
Old 10-23-15, 12:15 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the kind of Lexus commercial I like, none of the avant garde crap that started with the Lexus IS.
Old 10-23-15, 04:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its probably the best ad Lexus has done in a while.

There is one trend in advertising that I wish would go away and that's casting when it comes to hip and premium products. Those two people you saw at the end are your typical stereotypes for ad cast. These people do not exist and if they do they are not relevant at all.
Old 10-23-15, 05:10 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Nice, Glad to have bought one of these.
Old 10-23-15, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's fun to see the LX in action. I'd like to see the how a GL, Escalade and QX80 fair in the same scenario
Old 10-23-15, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
There is one trend in advertising that I wish would go away and that's casting when it comes to hip and premium products. Those two people you saw at the end are your typical stereotypes for ad cast. These people do not exist and if they do they are not relevant at all.
And that is where you are wrong with casting. While the typical stereotype does not exist (you are correct) the target audience and viewer identify with the person as that is usually the lifestyle and person they aspire to be. This is the essential thing with advertising, Apple for example has been effective in marketing in their ads, most people are nothing like the pictures that are on the demo iGadget at the Apple store, but its that lifestyle that they want you to connect with. Look at cigarette ads from the past, look at the lifestyle portrayed by Viginia Slim's vs the lifestyle portrayed by Marlboro etc.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-23-15 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 09:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I know nothing about marketing, but I think it was pretty good at portraying the life I would want....
Business attire climbing up the hill to my contemporary mansion.

Let's see the downhill version. YEEEE HAWW

Old 10-23-15, 10:34 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vladi
Its probably the best ad Lexus has done in a while.

They do exist.Perhaps not in great numbers. But they are sprinkled within our society. Most are in banking, silicon valley, and Wall street.
Old 10-23-15, 10:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I know nothing about marketing, but I think it was pretty good at portraying the life I would want....
Business attire climbing up the hill to my contemporary mansion.

Let's see the downhill version. YEEEE HAWW
Technically a hotel at the top you can see the bellman and the luggage trollies
Old 10-23-15, 10:40 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Nice, Glad to have bought one of these.
You know I'd love to have one. UNFORTUNATELY, it won't fit in the garage. Lol My neighbour has one and it's the only vehicle in his garage within a family of three cars. It's huge.
Old 10-23-15, 11:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

My neighbor managed to park his LX570 AND Range Rover sport in his two car garage lol.
Old 10-24-15, 03:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And that is where you are wrong with casting. While the typical stereotype does not exist (you are correct) the target audience and viewer identify with the person as that is usually the lifestyle and person they aspire to be. This is the essential thing with advertising, Apple for example has been effective in marketing in their ads, most people are nothing like the pictures that are on the demo iGadget at the Apple store, but its that lifestyle that they want you to connect with. Look at cigarette ads from the past, look at the lifestyle portrayed by Viginia Slim's vs the lifestyle portrayed by Marlboro etc.
I don't know why I even posted that because ad is superb. Don't need to be nitpicking at all although in my opinion advertisers should calm down a little bit from that plastic feeling looks and go more organic, not just in casting but in production as well with color grading, light leaks and flares, etc.

What you said is absolutely right, propagating the lifestyle is a pitch to your client and a message to their customer, its an easy pitch that always flies and gets green lighted. Without hijacking the thread here I will be very short regarding the casting. I was just referring to naïve one dimensional characters and that there was no need to water things down especially when your ad features $100k products. People owning cars like LS or LX are more aware of their surroundings so presenting them flatten stereotypes is most likely something that will not impress them. In my conclusion this ad's major audience is not potential LX or LS soon to be owners but owners of CT, IS, RX and maybe GS who are still far away from dropping 100K on a car. This ad reinforces L brand for sure.

Anyhow what ad people did right here and they did it really good is to present the products in the coolest way they could and they delivered. They were really careful not to outshine LX with LS here, LS takes the back seat to the true new born star LX is. And product demonstration for LX was done freakin right and that's the whole point of the ad. It gets you pumped by seeing new LX, that couple in the end is irrelevant so I apologize for starting the unnecessary discussion.
Old 10-24-15, 11:55 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
My neighbor managed to park his LX570 AND Range Rover sport in his two car garage lol.
Well you know with life & family comes a TON of "stuff". my neighbour has kayaks, kids bikes and truthfully needs( as we all do I'm sure) either another storage area or a three car garage. Next home I purchase will have four car garage. One for repair & detailing, one for storage and the other two for the tree cars....er, FIVE car garage! Hurmph!
Old 10-24-15, 12:04 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I love that new LX grill.

Originally Posted by mordecai
This is the kind of Lexus commercial I like, none of the avant garde crap that started with the Lexus IS.
Yep,

Quick Reply: Lexus shows off 2016 flagships in 'Different Routes'