Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you buy for a (mostly) track/weekend-fun car?
Cayman GT4, whether or not price was a factor
66.67%
Corvette, ultimately because of the price difference
14.58%
Corvette, whether or not price was a factor
18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 10:59 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman GT4 or C7 Corvette Grand Sport?

Given what I remember about this forum (it's been a while since I posted here since my IS350 got totaled over a year ago), I feel like this may be a relatively unbiased place to ask this question.

Here is all the information I have right now that I consider relevant:

So I'm considering buying a new car within the next year or so. This will be mostly a track toy for HPDEs and whatnot, but also a show-off-on-the-occasional-night-on-the-town car. Therefore features are nice, but not the priority. It's primary purpose will be to go fast and be fun.

Corvette pros (expected drive-out price: $70-75K):
- More powerful
- That American V8 rumble with a more controllable volume level
- More luxury features. I still cannot believe how few features are even available on certain high-priced Porsches, a purported luxury brand with inflated prices. Ex: Keyless entry/ignition, backup camera, configurable digital display.
- Performance data recorder!
- More practical (better gas mileage, more ground clearance, cheaper maintenance and insurance, probably easier to work on myself)
- Cheaper [obviously], including everything from purchase price to maintenance to consumables.

Porsche GT4 pros (expected drive out price: ~$100K):
- Amazing steel brakes. I will honestly likely never have to upgrade them, no matter what track I run or how good I become. I expect to have to upgrade the Corvette's at some point, even with the Z51 package, which would add another $5-6K to that price.
- Just more track ready overall from the factory. Half roll-cage, seats built for a five-point harness, more capable and configurable chassis, fixed wing, etc.
- 400-500 lbs lighter.
- While it has two fewer cylinders, it does rev 1100 RPM higher. I love the sound of a high-strung engine.
- Better balance and more unique handling feel as a result of the rear mid-mounted engine
- Will probably be a better, more unique compliment to my daily driver (a 2015 Mustang GT). The Corvette has a bit too much in common with the Mustang.
- Even though it's a silly reason to buy a car, the Porsche will be more "exclusive" and rare. More of a head turner/conversation starter.
- Better resale value

EDIT: With the announcement of the Grand Sport, the Z51 is off the table, which means the 1st and 2nd advantages for the Cayman above are significantly lessened... though the price gap also shrinks.

What do you think? Let me know if you think I'm missing anything. If you have other suggestions, feel free to throw those out, but I'm obviously pretty heavily leaning towards one of these two.

While I'm here, I figure I might as well show off my new, current ride for anyone who remembers me/cares, heh. Meet Samus, my 2015 Mustang GT PP:

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?-faua9pk.jpg

More here. http://imgur.com/a/rb9nI

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 04-06-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 11:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow that is a tough choice. Sounds like you have the reasoning for each on point though. The Porsche dealer experience will probably be nicer. Vette looks more exotic. The GT4 may be rare, but few will tell the difference(s) unless they are enthusiasts. Honestly best thing to do is just drive both and see which you like better.

Love your Orange GT btw. Samus is the perfect name!
Old 08-09-15, 11:30 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow that is a tough choice. Sounds like you have the reasoning for each on point though. The Porsche dealer experience will probably be nicer. Vette looks more exotic. The GT4 may be rare, but few will tell the difference(s) unless they are enthusiasts. Honestly best thing to do is just drive both and see which you like better.

Love your Orange GT btw. Samus is the perfect name!
I mean even a base Cayman is significantly rarer sight than a Corvette, let alone a GT4. They sell barely a few hundred Caymans (at all trim levels combined) every year.

Although I bet most people can't tell a Cayman from a 911, or maybe even a Boxter, so if you group all of those into one, yeah, a Corvette is no more common. But at least car people will recognize something more unique.

But you're right, I haven't yet test driven either (it's unlikely any dealer will let me test a GT4, but I could at least drive a GTS or something). I'm sure that'll affect my decision, but of course it's hard to gauge exactly how fun/capable these cars are on the street, heh.

And thanks! Love this Mustang more and more every time I drive it.
Old 08-10-15, 12:22 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Track toy? GT4, no question, not even hesitation.
Old 08-10-15, 04:13 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You've broken down the plus/minus really well and truly 2 great cars. In the end I'm aligned with gengar and the GT4.

I think availability of a GT4 may be a concern if you go that route. I sat in one a few weeks ago at a ride & drive event and seem to remember they were pretty much sold out.

GL and subscribed for updates!
Attached Thumbnails Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?-10-dsc04796-gt4.jpg   Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?-12-dsc04799-gt4.jpg  
Old 08-10-15, 04:17 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well if you're considering the 100k Porsche, consider the 80-100k Z06 Corvette. In addition to having way more power than the base model it has bigger brakes, tighter suspension, bigger tires, it would be more ready for a HPDE.

Although have you done HPDE before??? It might be a better idea to start with something a bit slower and lower limits if you've never done this type of thing before.
Old 08-10-15, 10:07 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Track toy? GT4, no question, not even hesitation.
Why do you say that? I agree that the GT4 is fairly significantly more track ready out-of-the-box, but for the price difference, one could make the Corvette just about as track ready. I'm not talking about performance, though, just the ability to withstand the punishment of a track for at least 30-45 mins at a time -- I think the main thing that is necessary is upgraded brakes, although there are one or two other relatively small things the GT4 has on it, too.

When it comes to just performance or fun-factor, I think the conversation becomes more interesting.

Also, while the *main* purpose of the car will be track toy. That certainly won't be the ONLY purpose (or I might save about 60-90K and just buy an old beater to work on, heh). I would like to drive this car around on a night out, or when the Mustang is being worked on, or even to work here and there when I just feel like driving something different.

So I think luxury/practicality are at least some consideration.

Originally Posted by TripleL
You've broken down the plus/minus really well and truly 2 great cars. In the end I'm aligned with gengar and the GT4.

I think availability of a GT4 may be a concern if you go that route. I sat in one a few weeks ago at a ride & drive event and seem to remember they were pretty much sold out.

GL and subscribed for updates!
Thanks. You're right. Availability will be an issue for sure. I was thinking of mentioning that in the OP, but I figured it would be a moot point. If I can't get a GT4, then obviously I can't get a GT4, haha.

A couple weeks ago, I put a deposit down to get on a Premier Porsche dealer's waiting list (I'm 11th). I think the odds are pretty decent that I get an allocation within a year or so, and by then, I should have made up my mind. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you guys posted.

... There are rumors that Porsche may ramp up GT4 production a bit, and also some rumors they might jack up the price to quell demand. If the latter happens, I'm probably out. The price difference becomes too difficult for me to justify if it goes much higher.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well if you're considering the 100k Porsche, consider the 80-100k Z06 Corvette. In addition to having way more power than the base model it has bigger brakes, tighter suspension, bigger tires, it would be more ready for a HPDE.

Although have you done HPDE before??? It might be a better idea to start with something a bit slower and lower limits if you've never done this type of thing before.
Yep, I did a couple HPDEs in my old IS350, and now I'm doing them in my Mustang GT. So I will have some practice under my belt, though I probably won't be close to an advanced driver yet. I also hear both cars (the GT4 especially) are actually pretty easy to drive.

As for the Z06, that's honestly just a little too much car for me, heh. I don't think I need or can handle quite *that* much power. The performance would be 99% unusable on the street, for one, which would just taunt me every time I drove it around town. And even on the track, while the Z will be faster in a straight line (and probably ultimately faster overall), I feel like the GT4 makes the right compromises overall.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 08-10-15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 10:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just love the looks of the C7 (with Z51)....GT4 not so much, especially that ricey spoiler--that is a no-go item for me. ...at least both have manual transmissions.

I actually like the Cayman more than the 911....just not the GT4.

IMO...

Looks - vette
Fun factor - vette
track time - GT4
repair/upkeep costs - vette
reliability - vette

Last edited by bagwell; 08-10-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 10:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Tough choices! I'm biased since I have a few Porsches in the family, but I would take the GT4 over the vette. The GT4 will probably hold it's value better in the long run and may end up being a collector's car. I drove a regular Cayman S and it's VERY good. It boggle my mind to think Porsche can make it even better.
Old 08-10-15, 10:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

I'd take the GT4. It seems like it would be more nimble and fun plus it should run lap after lap on the track without overheating.
Old 08-10-15, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Tough choice between the 'Vette and Cayman, but if you like your Mustang GT that much, why not just upgrade to a Shelby?
Old 08-10-15, 11:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tough choice between the 'Vette and Cayman, but if you like your Mustang GT that much, why not just upgrade to a Shelby?
Good point, GT350 would be nice.
Old 08-10-15, 11:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry--did you really list gas mileage as a potential factor?
Old 08-10-15, 11:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me it's gt4 easy
Old 08-10-15, 12:17 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I like the GT350. A lot. But I wouldn't want it as a daily driver, and to have it as a track toy would be too redundant since I already have a Mustang GT.

Originally Posted by bagwell
I just love the looks of the C7 (with Z51)....GT4 not so much, especially that ricey spoiler--that is a no-go item for me. ...at least both have manual transmissions.

I actually like the Cayman more than the 911....just not the GT4.
A lot of people hate on the wing, but I think we've all just stigmatized them too much thanks to ricers. They were once a legit sports-car/race-car accessory. As a kid, didn't we all think they looked cool? I mean this one is fully functional.

I agree that the Cayman > 911, though. *Especially* the GT4, IMO. You get the engine from a $100K 911 S, the brakes and chassis components from a $140K GT3, and the weight and balance of a Cayman all in one package starting at $84K. It's the closest thing to a reasonable value Porsche has ever had.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Tough choices! I'm biased since I have a few Porsches in the family, but I would take the GT4 over the vette. The GT4 will probably hold it's value better in the long run and may end up being a collector's car. I drove a regular Cayman S and it's VERY good. It boggle my mind to think Porsche can make it even better.
Good point. That's something I forgot to mention in the OP. The Cayman is likely to hold its value very well... although balancing a track car with a car I want to hold its value may be difficult, heh. It's going to be hard pushing the thing to its limits if I'm worried about how valuable the car is.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm sorry--did you really list gas mileage as a potential factor?
It's far from a sticking point, but it's a consideration. Again, the car won't *exclusively* be driven on the track, but even for a track car, gas mileage is nice... Gas gets really expensive at the track. (Although the difference in mileage between these two cars on the track is probably negligible)

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 08-10-15 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?