Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New brakes, now Bad noise ! !

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 07:38 PM
FishinAJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes, now Bad noise ! !

First time on here..

I just got my wife front brakes done a couple days ago on her 09' IS-250 with just over 64K miles.
Now when I drive over raised reflectors, small pot holes, or bumps in the street it makes a loud rattle noise, kind of like large socket in a "metal" can, not a tin can.
I'm going to try a record the sound and post it later.
The noise only happens when going over something as I described above, not over dips in the road .
But I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts? I've read some other post about the noise, but nothing really matches my sound or I just didn't come across that thread.
But there is a story behind this noise starting from after visiting the mechanics shop.....
First took the car in to get the front rotors resurface because the the car had vibrating issues from the rotors when stopping a little hard at faster speeds. Typical rotors needing resurfacing.
I got that done, BUT the next day my wife noticed when she drove down the street the car would make a repetitive noise as if the brake pads were rattling in the caliper. It would only do it when lightly pressing on the brakes but go away when you would press down harder. Also there was no sound while driving.
Took the car back to the shop and I was told the brakes needed to be replaced because they where worn uneven.
I went out to look at the car once it was on the lift and the mechanic showed me the pads. I did see the inside pad on both front brakes was worn at a slight angle and had about 20% left while the outside pads had even wear with about 50% wear. The mechanic said this is the reason for the sound, the uneven inside pad.
I was thinking BS; I'm thinking they tighten something before I saw, but I couldn't prove it.
So since the inside pads, on both sides, had the uneven wear, I had them just go ahead and replace the pads for the safety of my wife.
Miraculously the sound went away.
But wait there's more....
Now 2 days later I'm starteing to hear a new sound when going small potholes or driving over reflectors or road bumps. Like I said earlier the sound is like a socket rattling in a "metal" can, not a tin can sound.
So I pulled the car in our garage to take off the front driverside tire and the idiots at the shop over tighten the lugs to were my air impact gun can't even get them off or me standing on a breaker bar couldn't get them loose and I weight about 215.
So now I have to go back the shop and have these people check again and hear what their "professional" advice is.
I hoping someone might be able to give me some info as to what this noise is prior to me going to the shop.
Thanks

Last edited by FishinAJ; 06-14-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I could be wrong, but I'm going to guess that this was not a certified Lexus (or Toyota) dealership and service-bay.

Did the shop use factory-certified pads or aftermarket ones? That can sometimes make a difference. You also probably should have gotten both the pads and rotors replaced or resurfaced the first time instead of just doing the rotors.....putting worn or damaged pads back in with a new smooth rotor surface is a potential recipe for trouble. Also, do you know if the rotors were properly finished and cleansed after they came off of the metal lathe? You don't just take the rotors right off the lathe and stick them back on the car...they usually have to be cleaned off first and finished properly. And if those bozos overtightened the lug nuts that hard, that might have just caused the rotors to warp again, defeating the very purpose of the refinishing. And this time, they may not be able to be resurfaced again if there is not a minimum amount of metal thickness left on them for safety...the exact minimum amount is indicated in the Repair Manual for that car. If the rotors are (now) too thin for another cutting on the lathe, new ones will be the only answer.....preferably factory ones.

I can't pass total judgement on this shop without seeing it, but, right off-hand, it sounds to me like they don't really know what they are doing. Are their technicians/mechanics even ASE-certified, or don't you know? They seem to be using 1950's shop-procedures on 21st-century vehicles. I know it can be tempting to cut corners and save money on auto service, but sometimes doing that causes more troubler than it is intended to fix.

And, BTW, we have a special forum here on CL for matters like this.....................

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-15 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 10:06 PM
FishinAJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

I could be wrong, but I'm going to guess that this was not a certified Lexus (or Toyota) dealership and service-bay.

Did the shop use factory-certified pads or aftermarket ones? That can sometimes make a difference. You also probably should have gotten both the pads and rotors replaced or resurfaced the first time instead of just doing the rotors.....putting worn or damaged pads back in with a new smooth rotor surface is a potential recipe for trouble. Also, do you know if the rotors were properly finished and cleansed after they came off of the metal lathe? You don't just take the rotors right off the lathe and stick them back on the car...they usually have to be cleaned off first and finished properly. And if those bozos overtightened the lug nuts that hard, that might have just caused the rotors to warp again, defeating the very purpose of the refinishing. And this time, they may not be able to be resurfaced again if there is not a minimum amount of metal thickness left on them for safety...the exact minimum amount is indicated in the Repair Manual for that car. If the rotors are (now) too thin for another cutting on the lathe, new ones will be the only answer.....preferably factory ones.

I can't pass total judgement on this shop without seeing it, but, right off-hand, it sounds to me like they don't really know what they are doing. Are their technicians/mechanics even ASE-certified, or don't you know? They seem to be using 1950's shop-procedures on 21st-century vehicles. I know it can be tempting to cut corners and save money on auto service, but sometimes doing that causes more troubler than it is intended to fix.

And, BTW, we have a special forum here on CL for matters like this.....................

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/
Thanks and I will reply in the correct forum.
Old 06-14-15, 10:07 PM
FishinAJ
Driver School Candidate

MOVED TO

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...ml#post9076585