Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 03:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Indeed. The rest of us live in squalor..
Pull yourself out of the gutter, man!
Old 03-14-17, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Pull yourself out of the gutter, man!
Like I said, you guys misunderstood what I was saying.
Old 03-14-17, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

We should start a GoFundMe page to help JDR out of that hellish domestic car surrounded midwestern existence.
Old 03-14-17, 03:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
We should start a GoFundMe page to help JDR out of that hellish domestic car surrounded midwestern existence.
LOL...that would be a Pacific Northwest existence, but I'll still take the GoFundMe page... We may have to help out LexBob though.

I think higher end cars just aren't as rare as they used to be. In my work parking lot, there are 2 S550s, 1 750i, 3 Teslas, too many 3 Series, IS250/350s, 5 series, C Class, etc. to count. Oh and someone just picked up a new S8. And Tacomas. People here (myself included) love Tacomas. Maybe it's the local name.

No Continentals though (see, I'm back on topic).
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If I had more disposal income I'd be in, but......
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
LOL...that would be a Pacific Northwest existence
Then you get nothing!

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If I had more disposal income I'd be in, but......

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-14-17 at 03:31 PM.
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because this area, like Silicon Valley and parts of the L.A. region, has a huge amount of disposable money to spend on new cars, and lots of folks can afford top-level Teslas. You also see Astons, Maseratis, and even an occasional Bentley or RR...how many other places can say that?
i don't think you travel much out of your area, but all vibrant major cities in the u.s. have all those high end vehicles. downtown atlanta? check. miami? check. seattle? check. even smaller areas like naples and boca raton here in florida... TONS of wealth. hell i was in highlands NC recently, a small town where i saw a mclaren 650s (a million dollars?), bentleys, s class, teslas, range rovers, and on and on...

dc has a lot of wealth for sure, due to that giant fed govt, lobbyist, lawyer and contractor money sucking machine there, but that hardly makes it only in a class of 3 with silicon valley and LA like you said.

and when i travel to europe i am always amazed at the wealth in cars in major cities like london and paris, and cars there of course cost WAY more than in the u.s.

travel is enlightening.
Old 03-14-17, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

100% right...
Old 03-14-17, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Logically it makes sense that most Telsa registrations will be in the larger cities. But almost every major US or Canadian city is going to have Telsa owners. All the small cities and towns in between are obviously not going to have as many. California is going to have a lot of owners that is for sure.

As for the Continental, very likely it will follow the same type of trend that bigger cities have more owners.
Old 03-14-17, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

As for the Continental, very likely it will follow the same type of trend that bigger cities have more owners.
You said earlier you were busy.....but, if you get the time (it shouldn't take that long) definitely test-drive a Continental. It's not the out-and-out best luxury car I've ever driven (and some of my favorite American luxury cars were actually from the 1960s and 70s LOL)...but I don't think you will be disappointed. The Genesis G80 and G90 are also impressive...if you get a chance, try them, too.
Old 03-26-17, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I just love this car!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/linco...ad-up-display/

Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road

Lincoln wants you to keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road and is introducing a fancy head-up display for the Continental. The Motor Company claims it will be the biggest and brightest display size in its class.

Lincoln says it’s the first to use Digital Light Projection (DLP) technology, the same tech employed at your local cinema. We are excited to give it a look when it rolls out next month.

Digital displays that are projected on the windshield of your vehicle have been around for many years, but they have experienced a recent Renaissance among a number of manufacturers.

Some simply project your speed before you in the lower windshield that hovers slightly above the hood. Others can tell you the local speed limits and warn you of other vehicles approaching you from behind in your blind spots.

Lincoln’s system is centered on the windshield above the steering wheel and is customizable to allow the driver to select the information they want to see in the head-up display.

Thanks to its DLP tech, the display is visible in more ambient lighting conditions even while the driver is wearing polarized sunglasses Lincoln claims.

“We’ll be using a DLP chip from Texas Instruments, while many other automakers use a different technology that doesn’t get quite as bright,” said Anthony King, Lincoln product design engineer in a statement, adding, “That’s what sets us apart.”

Everything in the display can be controlled by the steering wheel in order to achieve the perfect viewing position. Drivers can choose to see every available component, choose what they want, or here’s the best part — turn the damn thing off completely.

Only the phone and navigation system information automatically will appear in the display when in use. Outside temperature, lane-keeping system, adaptive cruise control, fuel level, and the time can be turned on or off.

Sounds good to us, but we’d like to know when we can get our baseball scores and stock market reports on it too.
Old 03-26-17, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I just love this car!
Still finding panel-gaps on them? That was the one complaint you had on the first one you saw.

I agree it's a very impressive car inside and out. The only thing I generally disliked was the electronic button for the inside door-release.
Old 03-30-17, 11:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen seeing a lot of Contis... as UberBlacks and town cars. They're the new Town Car.
Old 03-31-17, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
I've seen seeing a lot of Contis... as UberBlacks and town cars. They're the new Town Car.
It's what the Town Car replacement clearly SHOULD have been, and wasn't. Except for its nice AWD option that the Town Car lacked, the MKS was a joke. But, despite a lot of arguing, I couldn't convince the Lincoln people of it at the time...they were determined to market it. And they paid the price.
Old 03-31-17, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Arguing to reps at the DC Auto show who have nothing to do with anything at Ford HQ doesn't equate to "trying to convince the Lincoln people" about anything

Paying the price is relative. The MKS always sold fine, strong fleet sales.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental