Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 2015 Dodge Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 02:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Definitely like the redesign, Dodge must be getting better because its reflecting in there prices. Have you ever priced one out? over 40k for the Hemi and over 50k for the SRT 8....

also,, First the 2015 camry and now the 2015 charger... Are these brands already due for a redesign? Its only been 2 to 3 years for the newest models and now companies are already redesigning the whole car? Is this something we can expect every 2 to 3 years now?
Old 04-17-14, 03:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
also,, First the 2015 camry and now the 2015 charger... Are these brands already due for a redesign? Its only been 2 to 3 years for the newest models and now companies are already redesigning the whole car? Is this something we can expect every 2 to 3 years now?
I can't find it now, but ~6 months ago there was an article out about how many manufacturers will be switching to more dramatic refreshes in the future. I remember people commenting on the article were really annoyed about it...but then what I look at cars made in the 50's-60's that seemed relatively common.

Also- these aren't redesigns, just exterior changes.
Old 04-17-14, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Isn't that basically the Pontiac G8?
Yes, it's a somewhat updated version of the same Australian-designed Holden Commodore platform the old Pontiac G8 was based on. But the Chevy SS, IMO, has a far better interior...the G8's had a number of cheap parts inside and had the color-coordination of a coal mine.
Old 04-18-14, 01:41 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I'm really liking the new design. I really want to see how the srt8 version will look like. Good job Dodge.
Old 04-18-14, 09:11 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
^ This is true. If you have not driven the current generation of Chrysler/Dodge/Ram products, instead of bashing them go take one out for a drive. The fit, finish and quality is on par or in most cases better than the other domestics and as good as most of the Asian competitors. I notice when I end up with a Chrysler rental, even with high miles, they are holding up better than thier GM and Ford counterparts. I hope as the miles pile up on my Ram that it also stays tight and rattle free.
What do you consider "current gen"? Chrysler only just introduced the new 200, and Dodge only just introduced the Dart.

Considering they still sell the Avenger, Dodge still has a long way to go to equal Ford.
Old 04-20-14, 11:58 AM
LexFather

Seems a lot of the traditional fans are hating it.

Old 04-20-14, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Seems a lot of the traditional fans are hating it.
same thing happens with every new corvette, every mustang, every camaro, too. and they all sell great.
Old 04-20-14, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
same thing happens with every new corvette, every mustang, every camaro, too. and they all sell great.
You have a point, but in reality, many buyers simply take those cars home for the personality and tradition of the nameplate instead of what they are actually getting under the sheet metal.

Heck, even with used ones, how many guys have bought an old rattle-trap Corvette, with cracks all over its fiberglass body, just to brag that they actually owned one?
Old 04-20-14, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or lexus and toyota... old owners always hate... i dont get it personally.
Old 04-20-14, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
or lexus and toyota... old owners always hate... i dont get it personally.
There's an old saying......if it ain't broke, don't fix it. While some changes, of course, are positive, too often, government regulators and auto designers/marketers railroad a lot of things through that don't really need to be done. Sometimes it backfires on them.
Old 04-20-14, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra

Considering they still sell the Avenger, Dodge still has a long way to go to equal Ford.
Forget the Avenger. It is one of the old classic Chrysler POS'es that is on the way out. It will soon join the (IMO) equally-POS Caliber and Neon in the automotive graveyard.

That's one of the reasons why, in my last post just above, I said that some changes are positive and needed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 06:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So right now it appears Dodge isn't getting a mid-sizer (Avenger replacement) based on the new 200?

Unless it's being put off until 2016. Seems like a poor decision to not have a mid-size sedan in a full-line auto brand lineup. I know the segment is fierce with competition but that doesn't mean you don't compete. Unless Chrysler and Dodge will move forward competing in different segments individually. I guess that's not a bad strategy instead of overlapping everything like they've always done in the past.

Compact sedan - Dodge
Mid-size sedan - Chrysler
Minivan - about to go solo - yet to be announced which one.
Trucks/SUV's - Dodge - Chrysler needs to get an SUV though.
Old 04-20-14, 07:58 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
So right now it appears Dodge isn't getting a mid-sizer (Avenger replacement) based on the new 200?

Unless it's being put off until 2016. Seems like a poor decision to not have a mid-size sedan in a full-line auto brand lineup. I know the segment is fierce with competition but that doesn't mean you don't compete. Unless Chrysler and Dodge will move forward competing in different segments individually. I guess that's not a bad strategy instead of overlapping everything like they've always done in the past.

Compact sedan - Dodge
Mid-size sedan - Chrysler
Minivan - about to go solo - yet to be announced which one.
They are indeed trying to avoid complete overlap. Current plans (although Sergio moves them around frequently) is that Chrysler will be gaining a full size crossover by the end of the decade. Dodge is supposedly getting a cut rate RWD Alfa Romeo. We'll see.
Old 04-21-14, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

Unless it's being put off until 2016. Seems like a poor decision to not have a mid-size sedan in a full-line auto brand lineup.
Actually, it may not be that bad a decision. The Dart's sales need some boosting, and not having the only (slightly) larger Avenger in the way will probably help. Plus, the Dart, IMO, despite a few current drivetrain shortcomings, is, overall, a far better car than the Avenger.

The newer Durango models are selling well enough that Chrysler probably doesn't need a version of it. Remember, Ford tried that with the Mountaineer/Mariner versions of the Explorer/Escape, and ended up dumping Mercury altogether.
Old 04-21-14, 09:15 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't like this redesign. It's like they swung some pendulum from making everything look like a muscle car to making everything look like the Dart. WTF Dodge?

The current model looked great, this one looks like ***.

Quick Reply: Official 2015 Dodge Charger