Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2015 Kia Sedona

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 01:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Next Kia Sedona Minivan

Next Kia Sedona minivan spied

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-6068225/

After skipping the 2013 model year and returning for 2014, the Kia Sedona is getting a full redesign for 2015, which we see for the first time in these new spy shots. The new Sedona isn't going to look as much like the 2011 KV7 Concept as we had hoped, but we definitely see some key styling cues from the Kia concept minivan.

Even though it's covered in heavy camouflage, we can see that some of the KV7's cues on the 2015 Sedona include the vertical front marker lights, the horizontal taillights and the pinched beltline starting at the C-pillar. Kia's trademark Tiger Nose grille is present and accounted for, as is the telltale dip in the windshield.

All in all, the next-gen Sedona already looks to be a significant improvement over the current, generally boring model, which dates back to 2006 and has a striking resemblance to the Ford Freestar. There is no word yet as to what will power the 2015 Sedona, but our spy shooter said that this prototype was most likely powered by a 2.2-liter diesel.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/31/2...van-spy-shots/
Old 07-31-13, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

It's about time the next Sedona came out. This thing should be very competitive to the Odyssey, Sienna, and T&C/Caravan twins.

I'd imagine the 3.3L V6 would power the next Sedona - unless they are the first to offer a turbo 4 in a minivan
Old 07-31-13, 08:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Why all the camo coverings?

Since when was their minivan a threat to the big 3?
They're afraid toyota, honda, nissan, and dodge wil steal their design???
Old 08-15-13, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689

Default Next-gen Kia Sedona drops more camo, shows KV7 cues

Next-gen Kia Sedona drops more camo, shows KV7 cues

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...#photo-474672/

It was just two weeks ago that we saw our first glimpse of the 2015 Kia Sedona testing in full camouflage, but now Kia has stripped away some of the heavy cladding to give us an even better idea what its new minivan will look like. As we pointed out before, the next Sedona doesn't use as many design cues from the 2012 Kia KV7 as we initially hoped, but it should be interesting enough to stand out from the current crop of minivans.

Even though most of the body is still covered with the black and white pattern and the side doors still have cladding, these spy shots show off plenty of details about the new Sedona. Starting up front, Kia gave its minivan a more upright shape that we've seen a lot of on current Kia designs, while the reduced camo also makes the van's new side window shape more obvious. This pinched daylight opening (DLO) along the side is the same as what we saw on the KV7, and the window line dips back down again for the liftgate glass. While we're focused on the rear of the Sedona, that liftgate spoiler looks a lot like what we're used to seeing on the back of a Porsche Cayenne.

Kia has still yet to announce when its new minivan will be unveiled, but as things seem to be pretty far along in development, we'd expect to see something on the 2015 Sedona fairly soon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/15/n...ona-spy-shots/
Old 08-15-13, 03:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

front kinda looks like a tall ford fusion. overall it looks fairly conservative, but not fugly.
Old 08-15-13, 03:33 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Are they seriously going for the ugly odyssey look (rear)???
Old 04-11-14, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2528437/
Old 04-11-14, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's about time the next Sedona came out. This thing should be very competitive to the Odyssey, Sienna, and T&C/Caravan twins.
IMO, it doesn't really compete with the Sienna/Odyssey, both of which are somewhat more expensive. The Sienna, of course, also offers AWD. The Sedona's natural (and closest) competitor, price-wise, is the Dodge Grand Caravan....with the mechanically similiar Chrysler Town and Country, like the Sienna/Odyssey, being in a more expensive class. The Caravan, though, has been plagued with poor reliability for years, and is in sore need of the same kind of design-upgrade that other new Chrysler products have been getting.
Old 04-11-14, 01:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, it doesn't really compete with the Sienna/Odyssey, both of which are somewhat more expensive. The Sienna, of course, also offers AWD. The Sedona's natural (and closest) competitor, price-wise, is the Dodge Grand Caravan....with the mechanically similiar Chrysler Town and Country, like the Sienna/Odyssey, being in a more expensive class. The Caravan, though, has been plagued with poor reliability for years, and is in sore need of the same kind of design-upgrade that other new Chrysler products have been getting.
Maybe right now the Sedona can't compete with the Sienna and Odyssey but you better believe that's who Kia is targeting with this new car. They're pushing their brand up as quickly as possible. They're not going to bargain basement minivan shoppers anymore. I expect a full host of luxury and technology options. No AWD, but should have everything else.
Old 04-11-14, 01:36 PM
Hoovey689

By this logic a Sonata does not compete with a Camry or Accord.

A minivan is a minivan. Seems pretty apples to apples ja.
Old 04-11-14, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I respect your opinion, but don't totally agree. Under the skin, yes, they all serve more or less the same people/cargo-moving function, and in the types of drivetrains that most of them have (except, of course, for the Sienna's optional AWD). But minivans can be quite different from one another in price, trim, interior appointments, standard/optional equipment. Even the Dodge/Chrysler so-called "Twins" are not exactly twins when you look at their major differences in trim, plushness, noise-isolation, equipment, and, of course, price. A base T&C, for instance, starts out some 10K more than a Grand Caravan.
Old 04-11-14, 02:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree. All of Hyundai/Kia's offering compete with other similar vehicles in their segments.
Old 04-11-14, 02:02 PM
Hoovey689

I respect your opinion, but don't totally agree. Under the skin, yes, they all serve more or less the same people/cargo-moving function, and in the types of drivetrains that most of them have (except, of course, for the Sienna's optional AWD). But minivans can be quite different from one another in price, trim, interior appointments, standard/optional equipment. Even the Dodge/Chrysler so-called "Twins" are not exactly twins when you look at their major differences in trim, plushness, noise-isolation, equipment, and, of course, price. A base T&C, for instance, starts out some 10K more than a Grand Caravan.
As pbm317 mentions, this new Sedona is not some bargain basement minivan anymore. Look at Kia's current product line now, guess what they are benchmarking.
Old 04-11-14, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Maybe right now the Sedona can't compete with the Sienna and Odyssey but you better believe that's who Kia is targeting with this new car.
I nominally agree in principle, but let's see where the new Sedona pricing is going to be. If it winds up being substantially more than the old Sedonas were (and with substantially more equipment/options), then you may have a point.

BTW, not that long ago, a Sedona, in the right circumstance, could be a REAL bargain. Some years ago, before I retired, I went shopping with a co-worker of mine (he had asked me for help and advice) for a Sedona. A local Ford/Kia dealership in Annapolis, MD, was running a special clearance on end-of-year 2003 models just as the 2004s were starting to come in. A brand new two-tone 2003 was still sitting on the lot, with no miles on it, a little dirty/dusty and with some tree-grime on it (it was new, of course, but needed a good wash/detail/preparation...I did part of it myself with the SCRATCH-OUT liquid I usually carry with me). It had a V6, 5-speed automatic, full power-package, front/rear A/C, and Captain's Chair seating (which usually cost extra). After it passed his test-drive and mine (looking for defects/problems), he took it home that evening for only 18K out the door......tax/tags/fees, everything.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-14 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 02:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I nominally agree in principle, but let's see where the new Sedona pricing is going to be. If it winds up being substantially more than the old Sedonas were (and with substantially more equipment/options), then you may have a point.
You're not going to have to wait long. Have you been paying attention at all to what Kia has been striving for lately? Cadenza priced right in line with the top of segment Avalon, etc. While giving more technology. So yes there's still some pricing advantage, but they're really hitting execution of product quite well.

Quick Reply: Official: 2015 Kia Sedona