Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Three Row Crossover / SUV Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 10:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

I ended up with the CX-9 Grand Touring and love it.

As far as price, I'm not so sure you can just "spend a few thousand more" and get a lux SUV. I got my loaded CX-9 for $34,500; .......
This, only Touring
Old 03-31-14, 12:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seems like there's no question the Durango would be the most pleasant one to drive and live with, day to day, though reliability, like with its brother Grand Cherokee, could be a concern. But, I think, to some extent, that they are selling both the Sorento and the Traverse a little short. I did a review on a new Sorento not long ago, and found it very quiet, refined and comfortable, not the harsh-riding sport-oriented vehicle they say it is. And the Traverse, like many newer GM products, has good fit/finish and would appeal to many as a good alternative to the Durango. I agree that the new Ford Explorer is a little disappointing and, IMO, somewhat pricey for what you get. I can't comment on the new full-size Santa Fe's driving experience (they seemed to like it, as it won). But I found the somewhat smaller, less-expensive Santa Fe Sport too firm-riding for my tastes.
I admit I didn't watch the video, so I'm not sure of the criteria. But the Sorrento is, by far, the smallest of all of those SUVs. Many 3 row SUVs have a 3rd row seat that is tight, with little cargo space with the 3rd row in use, even for vehicles that are a foot longer than the Sorrento. The Sorrento may be a good choice if you want to get more for your money, but I just don't see it as a true competitor to these other vehicles.

EDIT--just priced out a Sorrento Limited on Kia.com--$40,000!! Holy smokes...

Last edited by tex2670; 03-31-14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 09:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
EDIT--just priced out a Sorrento Limited on Kia.com--$40,000!! Holy smokes...
because everyone pays the prices on the manufacturer's website. local dealer here is practically giving them away... about $5k+ off that price.