Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do any General Motors products appeal to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 07:06 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do any General Motors products appeal to you?

I'm wondering if Asian car fans here would consider buying a GM product as there next car. If so what car, if not why have you written GM off

Also where do you think Hyundai ranks with Honda, Toyota, Nissan ?

Thanks for your feed back.
Old 02-21-14, 07:18 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tahoe and Escalade appeal to me, Cruze as well. I would rank them Toyota, Honda, Nissan tied with Hyundai.
Old 02-21-14, 07:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Appealing enough to buy? Not yet today. Has my interest improved towards GM over the last 2-3 years? Yes. If they keep up the release of Lexus-like quality products like the new CTS, miracles may happen.

My appeal from best to worst:

Toyota
Honda/Hyundai (tied)
Nissan

PS, this would make for a good poll.
Old 02-21-14, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

GM is making some excellent vehicles nowadays. The Buick Verano impressed me so much I bought one. The Chevy Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Silverado/GMC Sierra, Buick Regal, LaCrosse, and Cadillac ATS and CTS are all nice competent designs....especially the new 2014 Impala, whose comfort and road-manners are superb. Consumer Reports gave the new Impala 95 out of 100 in its road-test, which is unheard of for a sedan in the 30-40K class that the Impala competes in.

GM, unfortunately, has also recently done a couple of what IMO are flops. I'm not impressed with the Buick Encore, which is too short/stubby, awkward-looking, and underpowered. Nor am I impressed with the Cadillac XTS, which may have a nice interior, but, like the Lincoln MKS, rides too firmly and stiffly to be a true sedan-flagship like the DTS was. The Cadillac CUE system is also awkward to use and has been a source of numerous customer complaints.

Hyundai and Kia products, IMO are still, in general, a better value-per-dollar deal then the Japanese brands. But that lead is generally shrinking as Hyundai/Kia prices have risen markedly and their build-solidness dropped. The Elantra still seems solidly-built (as are most Kias), but many other newer Hyundai products seem to have dropped off on sheet-metal thickness and interior-hardware solidness, which seemed to have reached its peak around 2006. Newer Hyundais since the mid-2000s, besides often having what IMO is awkward styling, seem to have the cost-cutters determining more and more what goes into the materials they use for their production vehicles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-14 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 07:37 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Sure, there are a few. However, each have reasons for me to not consider a purchase.

1. CTS-V - Price for new one too high, and I'd have long term reliability concerns if I kept one awhile or purchased pre-owned.

2. C7 Corvette - I would have seriously considered one if I had a three car garage. A car like that wouldn't be a good DD for me, and I wouldn't want to give up the garage space in winter. I hate scraping windows at 6am!

3. Camaro Z/28 - Even though Camaros have become ubiquitous around here, this one looks really cool IMO. However, it would certainly be impractical at that price point given the lack of driver amenities (like AC!)

-Mike
Old 02-21-14, 07:51 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
[...] if not why have you written GM off
My first two cars were GM products. They were both bad, but the second in particular (a 1990 model bought when it was 2 years old) was so poorly engineered and built I decided I would never again buy a GM vehicle.
Old 02-21-14, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FishBike
My first two cars were GM products. They were both bad, but the second in particular (a 1990 model bought when it was 2 years old) was so poorly engineered and built I decided I would never again buy a GM vehicle.
Yep...that's exactly what I felt like after my POS 1980 Chevy Citation.....and also a lot of bad luck with Chrysler Omni/Horizon and K-cars of the period. The ill-fated GM X-Body FWD compacts were designs that held enormous promise IF they had been done correctly, but their legendary design and production sloppiness set records for numbers of recalls and defects. I kept mine less than two years, and then got rid of it in disgust, selling it off cheap to a guy who didn't mind what problems it had had....I was honest in what I told him.

But times DO change.

The average GM product of today (especially the ones I listed in my post above) is as different from what they were 30 years ago as Molly Cyrus is from a nun.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 08:09 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only care from GM i would consider is the CTS-V. But for that money, there's many other options i would want.

my rankings are:
1. toyota
2. honda/nissan
3. hyundai
Old 02-21-14, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The only care from GM i would consider is the CTS-V.
Do you think the CTS-V is worth what it cost? Yes, it may have some kick-a** road manners and a nice interior, but it also runs some BIG $$$$$$$.
Old 02-21-14, 08:44 PM
LexFather

Yup.. Particularly the C7 vette which is utterly sensational and I enjoyed my time with it. The CtS wagon also appeals to me. The Camaro is lovely and so are the trucks and SUVs. I love that red leather is an option on the ATS.

I'm curious to try out the new impala.

Old 02-21-14, 09:15 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

C7 Vette, Escalade, and CTS V Sport would be high on my list of potential cars in those respective segments.
Old 02-21-14, 11:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Corvette, Camaro, CTS are all very attractive.

I also like the new Silverado/Sierra twins. I enjoyed the 2013 Suburban i drove last summer for work, and the Cruze rental car we had in Hawaii impressed me enough to put it on my short list of cars(though I ultimately bumped up to the mid-size market and bought a Ford).

I think GM has made a good deal of improvement.
Old 02-21-14, 11:25 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C7, ATS and CTS.
Old 02-21-14, 11:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Latest CTS VSport and upcoming CTS-V forsure
Old 02-22-14, 01:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, GM has risen a lot recently. mmarshall summed it up well, as well as the progress of other brands.
I like the new ATS and CTS's body, and the upcoming Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon look very sharp and modern (far more than the new Silverado/Sierra). The new Tahoe/Yukon feature some nice touches, but the boxy and retro side window treatment is a huge turnoff.

A few other areas that leave me cold with the rest of the line-up include the below average reliability, their continued use of gaudy chrome trim all over the dahsboard and buttons, and the lack of conventional manumatic shifting.

Quick Reply: Do any General Motors products appeal to you?