Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 11:52 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Review: 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4

2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-2450794/

The Toyota Tundra is the automotive version of off-brand Cheerios: it doesn't dominate the market, and it's not the first model people think of when they hear the term "pickup truck."

Ford, General Motors and Ram dominate the segment with vehicles that offer ridiculous levels of towing and payload capacities and models loaded with luxury items and primed with tech-rich engines. The off-brands, meanwhile, are led by the Tundra, which while still accounting for six-figure sales (112,732 units in 2013, up from 101,621 in 2012), sits well behind the F-150s and Silverados of the world. After our first drive of the revamped 2014 Tundra, we came away thinking this truck is a total underachiever, aimed at placating Toyota loyalists and doing little to win over new customers.

But everybody deserves a second chance, and we thought a week's drive in a different environment might lead to a different – or at least a more fully realized – opinion. While the Tundra might not be an industry leader, it still makes it on many truck buyers' shopping lists. So, should you consider this off-brand pickup truck? To find out, we borrowed a top-of-the-line Tundra Platinum for a week. Read on to see what we found.

The Tundra looks brutish. That big, dominating front fascia with its long, wide, non-functional scoop above the grille and LED headlight accents give it an imposing look. The expansive cabin dominates the profile view, and our CrewMax-bodied tester gives the truck an almost out-of-proportion look, because there's tons of room for backseat passengers. From the rear, the chunky taillights and embossed "TUNDRA" in the tailgate add to the truck's bigger-is-better design philosophy.

In the cabin, our Platinum-trimmed tester has an almost Lexus-like sensibility. The quilted leather on the dash, doors and seat uppers stands out in an increasingly luxury-oriented truck market. It looks good and feels quite nice to the touch. We also note Toyota has opted for a softer leather on the dash and doors, and something a bit more durable on the seats. The painted plastics used on the dash look good and feel solid, while the soft-touch materials on the upper dash and doors make the Tundra Platinum feel more luxurious.

From the driver's seat, visibility is excellent throughout, thanks to the Tundra's high-riding nature, expansive greenhouse and reasonably skinny A-pillars. The tilt-telescopic steering wheel is wrapped in soft leather and is heated, a welcome touch as winter continues to bear down on southeastern Michigan. Power thigh support helps make the front leather seats thoroughly comfortable, too. If you're long-legged, like we are, this is a feature that will prove its worth within the first couple of miles on the road. e'd have no qualms driving long distances in the Tundra.

Anyone we put in the back seat had a similar point of view. The second row on the Tundra's CrewMax body style is absolutely mammoth. There's 42.3 inches of rear legroom, which for comparison, is more than the Chevrolet Silverado crew cab (40.9 inches) and just 0.7 inches less than the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class, a car designed for rich people who like to be chauffeured around. The rear seats aren't uncomfortable, either – they don't feel like second-class jump seats, like in some other pickups. They can also be flipped up, adding a bit of interior cargo space.

Before we get to the heart of the driving impressions, let's talk about the Tundra's oily bits. Under that big hood sits a 381-horsepower, 5.7-liter V8. Peak power arrives at a lofty 5,600 rpm (just 300 revs shy of redline) while all 401 pound-feet of torque are deployed at 3,600 rpm. A six-speed automatic is the sole transmission, and while rear-drive comes standard, our tester was equipped with four-wheel drive. The Tundra sports a live rear axle, complete with leaf springs, while the front axle uses a double-wishbone setup. Unlike the majority of Toyotas, it also retains an old-fashioned hydraulic power-steering arrangement. The brakes, meanwhile, use 13.9-inch vented discs in front and 13.6-inch vented discs in the back. On our tester, the binders arrived shielded by a set of 20-inch alloys wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires.

The Tundra's power figures look strong, but only until you take a peek at the curb weight of our Platinum CrewMax 4x4 tester. At 5,860 pounds, this is not a light pickup, and it shows on the road. Off the line, the 5.7 responds well, leaping ahead with surprising verve for a big pickup, but it struggles as the miles per hour increase. We found an uphill freeway on-ramp a particular challenge, as the V8 struggled to get up to speed in time to merge. The throttle response isn't particularly linear, either, due to a rather dull tip-in. It's more or less something that we'd get use to over time, but it's worth mentioning.

Accompanying the engine at the higher reaches of its rev range is an unpleasant racket. It sounds unrefined and coarse, two attributes we don't normally associate with Toyota V8s. Compounding the issue is the amount of engine noise that enters the cabin. This is disappointing, particularly considering how quiet and composed the truck is at lower engine speeds.

Fuel economy is woeful – another downside to all that weight forcing drivers to run the engine hard. Mike Harley pointed out the Tundra's lack of fuel-saving features in his original drive of the 2014 Tundra, and now that we've driven the truck for a week in the real world, the lack of modern bits like an eight-speed transmission or direct injection are glaring. Our first jaunt in the Tundra, from midtown Detroit to the northern suburbs of Oakland County saw a meager 12.8 mpg. That figure climbed slightly following a prolonged highway run, but only to 13.5 mpg. Attaining the 17 mpg highway predicted by our truck's window sticker strikes as unlikely outside of ideal conditions.

Engine issues aside, the Tundra's six-speed automatic is a really solid gearbox. Upshifts are quick and smooth, while there isn't a lot of hunting on downshifts. And while working the console-mounted gear selector is nice, the Tundra's manual mode is still rather poor. It takes inputs as mere suggestions, rather than commands, and is certainly not our first choice for clutchless, DIY shifting.

As we mentioned, the Tundra makes use of a decidedly old-school suspension setup (okay, old school now that Ram is fitting air suspensions to the 1500). The solid-rear/leaf-spring setup doesn't ride particularly badly, considering it's a carryover item from the pre-facelift Tundra. It can get crashy on pothole-strewn Michigan roads, but feels largely composed and stable at freeway speeds and on smoother surface streets. Bigger bumps and imperfections can send some unpleasant feelings through the Tundra's suspension, but it's not hugely disruptive or out of place for an empty leaf-sprung pickup. There's not a lot of roll here, and the damping on the Tundra copes well with sudden pedal inputs. As is the way with most fullsize pickups, feedback through the chassis is pretty much absent.

Despite its hydraulic power steering, the tiller in the Tundra is still very much designed for a pickup truck. It's light, and doesn't weigh up enough as it's turned. However, its relaxed nature is good for highway cruising. Feedback is limited, although that shouldn't come as a shock considering the type of vehicle. That said, the Tundra's level of communication is better than some of the electric power-steering setups we've tested in other vehicles.

Now, to bring up the Tundra's weight in a positive sense – the brakes were quite good, despite the truck's body fat. The pedal is linear and easy to modulate, giving the Tundra a sense of sure-footedness that belies its heft.

The only way to get a Tundra Platinum is with the CrewMax cabin and the accompanying 5.5-foot bed. This is not an ideal setup for those that value payload or towing capacity in their pickups. The CrewMax is the least able member of the entire Tundra family, managing the lowest overall payload (1,440 pounds) and the lowest towing capacity (9,000 pounds). That tow rating, in particular, pales in front of the five-figure ratings of the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado (11,200 pounds for the F-150 and 11,700 for the Silverado when both vehicles are fitted with their top-end configurations, which feature 6.2-liter V8s, crew cabs and four-wheel drive). That 5.5-foot bed is surprisingly tiny – we barely fit an unassembled chest of drawers from Ikea back there.

Prices for the Tundra Platinum start at $47,600. Blind-spot monitoring with cross-traffic alert and a set of running boards are the sole options at this high trim spec. BSM can be had on its own for $500, or as a package with the running boards for $845. Our truck also included a $365 bed liner, which along with a $995 destination charge brings the as-tested price to $49,805.

At the start of the story, we discussed how the Tundra is an off-brand pickup relative to the competition. A key quality of store brands is that they're usually cheaper than their name-brand counterparts. So, how does the Tundra stack up? With a 2014 Ford F-150 Limited 4x4 starting at $53,830, a Ram 1500 Laramie Limited hitting $51,600 and a Chevrolet Silverado High Country ringing in at $48,800, the Tundra is, however slightly, a value over its domestic counterparts.

Should you buy one, though? While it is nominally more affordable, its poor fuel economy, small bed size and lower towing capacity certainly represent major strikes against it. Still, the Tundra isn't a bad pickup truck. It's a targeted vehicle that's not designed to tackle worksites like the domestics. It's a vehicle for loyal Toyota customers who just want a big, comfortable truck from the brand they're comfortable with. It might not win many converts, but with such a well-crafted interior and a spacious backseat, at least the Tundra isn't likely to disappoint the faithful.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/26/2...um-4x4-review/
Old 02-26-14, 05:11 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical ****ty autoblog review. Blasts the fuel economy and tow ratings, ignoring the fact that the "American" trucks are not SAE certified for their tow ratings creating an apples to oranges comparison and how they never get EPA numbers.

"Wasn't built to tackle work sites like the American trucks"

WTF is this ******* smoking? Toyota pickup trucks tackle FAR MORE HARSH CONDITIONS ALL OVER THE WORLD than any of the sissy trucks Ferd and Chebby spit out to poser's here in America.

Just today my dad sent me a text saying YET ANOTHER front hub on his 2005 Silverado 2500 Duramax with all of 56,000 miles on it has failed for the THIRD TIME. I simply sent a picture of the Tundra from this article with the caption "here's your solution". He agreed. But according to these dumb ****s, that truck is tough and built for hard work while a Tundra is just for those who want a Toyota pickup.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 02-26-14 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 05:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

My money on cars/SUVs has always been on the Japanese vehicles and as much as I like the Tundra, if I had to put my money down on a full-size pickup truck, for the first time ever, I'd be seriously considering the Big Three's offerings.
Old 02-26-14, 06:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Typical ****ty autoblog review. Blasts the fuel economy and tow ratings, ignoring the fact that the "American" trucks are not SAE certified for their tow ratings creating an apples to oranges comparison and how they never get EPA numbers.

"Wasn't built to tackle work sites like the American trucks"

WTF is this ******* smoking? Toyota pickup trucks tackle FAR MORE HARSH CONDITIONS ALL OVER THE WORLD than any of the sissy trucks Ferd and Chebby spit out to poser's here in America.

Just today my dad sent me a text saying YET ANOTHER front hub on his 2005 Silverado 2500 Duramax with all of 56,000 miles on it has failed for the THIRD TIME. I simply sent a picture of the Tundra from this article with the caption "here's your solution". He agreed. But according to these dumb ****s, that truck is tough and built for hard work while a Tundra is just for those who want a Toyota pickup.

Calm down. You clearly don't know trucks if you think anything from Toyota compares to anything from the Big Three. I'll admit that GM has suspension and steering issues.... But find me a truck from Toyota that can pull 15,000 lb fifth wheels like an American pickup.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-26-14, 06:18 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Liking that quilted look above the glove. Nice touch
Old 02-26-14, 06:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Typical ****ty autoblog review.
WTF is this ******* smoking?
But according to these dumb ****s...
don't appreciate you working the post censor so hard. please consider stepping away from the keyboard before ranting so hard, and post with less vitriol next time. it's a vehicle review, with opinions, not the end of the world.
Old 02-26-14, 08:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Liking that quilted look above the glove. Nice touch
That interior...almost looks like I've seen it before....
Old 02-27-14, 01:14 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
That interior...almost looks like I've seen it before....
Haha of course, there seems to be a template to follow in this segment
Old 02-27-14, 08:34 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While I had really looked forward to the Tundra refresh, when i saw it and especially after knowing the specs it is a true disappointment. Toyota seems to think the common truck buyers is an idiot and a simple exterior/interior adjustment is enough. Had Toyota used an 8spd, which they have availalbe, updated the engine, and not going with a dated F150 Interior copy. I would have seriously considered it. Like I told my Lexus service guy, if Lexus built a truck I would have bought it. I say that because I have been so happy with our Lexus expereince, quality, and the service we have recieved.
Old 02-27-14, 08:50 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front end looks like a ridgeline interior out or a f series

Old 02-27-14, 08:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota Motor Co (the japanese overlord) doesn't care for the pickup truck market because it doesn't really exist anywhere else in the world. They'd be just as happy giving up both the Tundra and Tacoma. Hence not a lot of investment budget allocated to the models --> long lifecycles with minor changes here and there, no significant conquest success, etc. Self fulfilling prophecy I suppose. Toyota Japan doesn't subscribe to the if you build it, they will come mentality, they want results without the existing product to back it up. Could also be a chicken/egg paradox.

Anyways, I think the review is pretty spot on, it'll keep the Toyota loyalists fairly happy, but won't win over anyone from the Detroit 3.
Old 02-27-14, 09:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Toyota Motor Co (the japanese overlord) doesn't care for the pickup truck market because it doesn't really exist anywhere else in the world. They'd be just as happy giving up both the Tundra and Tacoma. Hence not a lot of investment budget allocated to the models --> long lifecycles with minor changes here and there, no significant conquest success, etc. Self fulfilling prophecy I suppose. Toyota Japan doesn't subscribe to the if you build it, they will come mentality, they want results without the existing product to back it up. Could also be a chicken/egg paradox.

Anyways, I think the review is pretty spot on, it'll keep the Toyota loyalists fairly happy, but won't win over anyone from the Detroit 3.

You forget about the Toyota Hilux, that never-say-die truck that is driven all over the Third (Developing) World.

I would not say that TMC does not care about pickup trucks. The Hilux is, after all, the standard-bearer for compact pickup trucks over over the world except North America. If they truly did not care, they would not have the Tacoma and Tundra available in North America. I believe that TMC knows that they will not beat the Americans at the full-size pickup game so they throw less resources at the Tundra, preferring to spend money on the Camry, RAV4 and Highlander, their money-makers here in North America.

The Tundra obviously continues to make money for Toyota, otherwise it would be gone. They spend just enough on it so that it continues to sell and make money; spending more is likely money wasted given the volume they know they can sell.
Old 02-27-14, 10:07 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Should have been more clear, they don't care much for the American Full Size Market and as you noted they choose to spend more on Camry, Corolla, RAV, Highlander, etc.

Obviously Hilux does well globally, but that's coming under fierce attack as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both the Tacoma and Tundra phased out by 2020 or so.
Old 02-27-14, 10:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

It is just that American pickups are unique to USA... but in general, Toyota sells a lot of Hilux pickups worldwide. Toyota sells crazy amount of trucks and suv's based on their truck platforms... probably more than 2 million per year and quite likely largest 4x4 and AWD manufacturer in the world. I mean just Land Cruisers sold around 500k last year.

Little know fact, Thailaind, usually a relatively small car market, sells 50,000 pickups every month on average, it is considered the largest pickup market in the world (due to taking up large % of sales). Hiluxs is best seller with 35% market share.