Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota reaffirms commitment to body-on-frame SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 04:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota reaffirms commitment to body-on-frame SUVs

Toyota reaffirms commitment to body-on-frame SUVs

Toyota sold 121,055 Highlander CUVs in 2012, according to Automotive News. By comparison, it sold 78,457 examples of four different body-on-frame, truck-based SUVs (4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Sequoia and Land Cruiser). One could argue then, that the traditional SUVs aren't pulling their weight from a sales perspective. Yet that isn't stopping Toyota from reaffirming its commitment to a segment that has seen its former champions – Ford, General Motors and Chrysler – abandon it with alarming speed. Ford and GM still offer body-on frame utilities, but only in the very largest offerings, catering to seven or even eight passengers. Everything outside of the Expedition or Tahoe rides now on a unibody.

Toyota's decision to stick with the technology is good news if you're in the market for smaller SUVs that are still capable of heading well off the beaten path. Outside of the Jeep Wrangler, Grand Cherokee (a unibody) and perhaps Nissan Xterra, there's not much in terms of capable SUVs between $20,000 and $50,000. As the Toyota brand's US head, Bill Fay, says, "Clearly, the trend has shifted, but there is still an owner base that is interested in these vehicles."

We don't doubt Fay on that, but it may also be somewhat telling that Toyota's SUV lineup is aging, and we haven't seen or heard much about replacement models in the pipeline. Admittedly, the 4Runner (pictured) has been facelifted for 2014, but it's mostly cosmetic in nature. Despite Toyota's posturing, we still expect its body-on-frame lineup to thin in the coming years as sales dwindle and escalating fuel-economy standards make business cases even tougher. Here's hoping that Toyota manages to keep at least one rough-and-tumble SUV in its lineup in the coming years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/29/t...on-frame-suvs/
Old 07-29-13, 04:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They forgot to mention the GX and LX.

There is a niche market for it, and a definitive need for it. It's going to be sort of a boutique offering, catering to those that are truly off-roaders. For the most part, SUVs are targeted to urbanites, when body-on-frame vehicles are surely for ruralites.

This is a marketing issue...
Old 07-29-13, 07:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not a truck fan so I'm definitely not a fan of body on frame SUV's. But whatever, lots of SUV choices for those in the market.
Old 07-29-13, 08:28 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Toyota should keep those 4 body-on-frame models the way they are.

Within Lexus however, the next GX should be a unibody in order to compete better in its class. That class is not about off-road capabilities or utility anymore. The LX should remain a Lexus Land Cruiser because of its heritage, prestige, and dominance in certain markets around the world.
Old 07-29-13, 09:00 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it funny the AN article mentions Bill Fay say "we'll continue to build the FJ as long as there is demand". Sales are the same and slightly up from the last few years, yet 2014 will be the last year. I hope they reconsider.
Old 07-29-13, 09:14 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^From what I understand, the FJ is back on and will be redesigned soon
Old 07-29-13, 10:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I think Toyota should keep those 4 body-on-frame models the way they are.

Within Lexus however, the next GX should be a unibody in order to compete better in its class. That class is not about off-road capabilities or utility anymore. The LX should remain a Lexus Land Cruiser because of its heritage, prestige, and dominance in certain markets around the world.
GX might become another model.... but Prado will remain, so question is how much building GX costs them.

In Middle East, car sales are growing a lot, and trucks are leading the charge.... Toyota is selling a lot of Prado, Land Cruisers and Lexus versions. They barely sell any RX's there, or Rav4's.

So these models will probably continue, question is will they be offered in the USA?
Old 07-30-13, 12:29 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If they can find ways to increase fuel mileage with the body on frame units, it's plausable to keep them going. I think it was poor gas mileage and high fuel prices that started dooming these.
Old 07-30-13, 12:30 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't really worried, but great to hear nonetheless.
Old 07-30-13, 01:12 AM
Hoovey689

there'll always be a small niche for BOF SUVs
Old 07-30-13, 02:31 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats the benefit of BOF?
Old 07-30-13, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Whats the benefit of BOF?
They tend to be more robust over the long term + off road capabilities

The big exceptions are the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Land Rover Range Rover and their fantastic 4WD systems