Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 02:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the previous camry was very bland, but they made the new one reach a new unique combination of bland AND ugly.

last model:

new model:

especially those 'stick out' fog lights.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
People don't want sportiness when they have kids and old people and groceries in the car.
i don't he said he wants it sporty, just a little more stylish and higher grade. the camry may be well bolted and glued together, but that doesn't make it attractive.

but it sells so well because of reliability, strong resale value, and repeat buyers.

They want spaciousness, ergonomics, durability, cost effectiveness, cheap insurance, cheap maintenance, cheap starting price, and ease of use.
yes, and a lot of people don't care about style whatsoever, but a lot do.

Originally Posted by LexFather
It's a Camry, vanilla, owners are happy, internetz isn't..what's new...
nothing wrong with online enthusiasts not liking a car not designed for them.

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'd pick the new Accord (or the old one for that matter) over the last couple of generations of Camry
me too, or a fusion, altima, mazda 6, etc.

Originally Posted by LexFather
The Camry just minds its business and you would think its the worst car on the planet the way some people make it seem.
i see what you did there, but i don't see anyone saying it's the worst car on the planet, just that, like you said, it could be better.

Except WHEN YOU GET PAST THE FLUFF outside of the Accord they are not as well built
what do you base stating an accord isn't as well built as a camry on?

Not to mention the Toyota dealer network is still one of the best.
really? also, not dealers fault, but in the southeast toyota doesn't even deal with them directly causing limited selection, extra fees and little negotiation.

I think many are confusing more stylish for a better car.
'better' has many dimensions, but being mind-numbingly boring generally isn't better for those on Car Chat.
Old 01-21-14, 02:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I can only comment based on looks - i have not driven myself or been driven in any Camry that i can recall. I have sat inside 1 at an auto show.

Last gen was decent looking esp after the refresh it got LED tails and SE version was nice.

Current gen is downright hideous - so many awkward angles.

Surprisingly the midsize class has many nice designs Imo - i really like the Kia Optima, Mazda6, Fusion, and VW Passat.
My favorite is the new Accord in Sport trim - looks great in person!
Old 01-21-14, 02:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Toyoda isn't mentioning those things as excuses and is pointing solely at the car itself.
can someone link the article where Toyoda craps on Camry that he approved?
In fact, Camry was one of the first cars that Toyota PR pushed as tested and vetted by Akio himself.

What Toyoda is saying is that Toyota should always do better and always strive to build even better cars.

What i am saying is:
- Camry is the best selling Toyota and best selling passenger car despite the competition
- We go through this whenever new Camry is due.
- Toyota is best selling brand in the world.
- 2013 Toyota's record sales year in the history of the company and automotive world
- 2013 Toyota's record profits in the history of the company and automotive world

Now I have to defend my opinion by also saying I would never buy a Camry for myself. Ever. I wouldnt have bought any year Camry, ever.

But that doesnt have anything to do with the above. I also wouldnt buy any Subaru and yet Subaru sells like crazy and their increase of sales is unbelievable. So my personal car prefference has nothing to do with how successful the Camry is. I am not sure I should be the target buyer for the car that sells the most to 55 yr female from California.
Old 01-21-14, 02:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
me too, or a fusion, altima, mazda 6, etc.
Back when 2012 Camry was introduced, it beat Accord and Fusion and Altima and Mazda 6 in most if not every test. It tied for VW Passat only (and Passat is now selling horribly).

Of course, now we have new Accord, new Fusion, new Altima and new Mazda 6.

But certainly it doesnt look that bad, and everyone back in 2011 said that it is way better than 2010 model, especially interior.

Here is nice pic of SE, real life dealer pic, no photoshop.

Old 01-21-14, 02:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's a top of the line CR-V CUV.A not bad one at that.It's ok..
It's the wife's choice of vehicle.A Honda that bites you.

A sedan should have a nicer design than that of the so ugly in and out cost cut Camry.
Styling is subjective but what sedan in it's class is the Camry style nicer than to you?Maybe the Passat?

Maybe you should try and convince Akio in a email or phone call to stay the course on the present Camry design.
I don't have to convince him of anything, I don't start threads bashing the Camry, I don't really think about the Camry and I don't own one or anything in the class. For whatever reason on a Lexus site, people (most of them the same) like to beat the Camry up then you look at their garage and you wonder what grounds do they have to do so. Honestly its perplexing.

No one here has ever said the Camry is some amazing class leader, the best looking or even best in class. What people are saying is its still very solid, has no major flaws and clearly sells in droves.

Somehow that is a bad thing for the Camry but okay for other cars.

Originally Posted by Tantrix
ford fusion FTW. The more I see it, the better it looks. What a desirable looking midsize sedan.

the competition is getting good, many are realizing the holy grail of design. Toyota and nissan better catch on fast.
It looks great inside and out. I rented a LOADED one for a week and was stunned at how boring and bad it drove. The steering was utterly lifeless. It was like driving a 1989 Camry in stunning new bodywork.

I never shared my review but its funny to see people basing their opinions solely on STYLE. I like style like many people but its not the only reason for purchase.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the previous camry was very bland, but they made the new one reach a new unique combination of bland AND ugly.
Yet you posted how the Jetta looks amazing, shall I find your quote? So how is the Jetta so great and the Camry so bad. Please do tell.

Don't confuse people with logins with enthusiasts. Big difference.

Old 01-21-14, 02:33 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem Camry now has is that it really doesn't exceed its competitors in any meaningful way. In fact it now trails a good number if them is some key area, fit and finish being one of them. I've been in several and I think I have to actually classify the interior feel as pretty low-rent. On the other hand, the Accord for one example, feels like a whole class above it
Old 01-21-14, 02:52 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy next door has a 2012 hybrid LE model. I don't like the way it drives at all. When you go over a bump you can really feel it. I had a 2010 for a rental, and I think it drives than the new model.
Old 01-21-14, 03:05 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I own a 2012 camry. Is it the best car in the class? IMHO, no. Do i trust it the most? Yes. Test drove a sonata, wasnt impressed, so I went camry again. Would i be happier if I had waited for Accord? Probably but I don't think about it anymore. It does everything I want very well.
Old 01-21-14, 03:06 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I own a 2012 camry. Is it the best car in the class? IMHO, no. Do i trust it the most? Yes. Test drove a sonata, wasnt impressed, so I went camry again. Would i be happier if I had waited for Accord? Probably but I don't think about it anymore. It does everything I want very well.
Great honest post!
Old 01-21-14, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
The problem Camry now has is that it really doesn't exceed its competitors in any meaningful way. In fact it now trails a good number if them is some key area, fit and finish being one of them. I've been in several and I think I have to actually classify the interior feel as pretty low-rent. On the other hand, the Accord for one example, feels like a whole class above it
well how can it exceed the competition when it is brand new... it exceeded them back in 2011.
Old 01-21-14, 03:26 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
well how can it exceed the competition when it is brand new... it exceeded them back in 2011.
Don't see the relevance of this. It's not like the current car is ancient compared to its competitors.
Old 01-21-14, 06:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
CR considers the Altima the worst new car value. I like the car better than the Camry but a lot of it is based on style. CR doesn't seem that impressed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveo...-cars/4192281/

The Hyundai and Kia don't get advertised MPG, now owners sued to get compensation and their ratings are lowered. Sales are down.

Ford quality isn't great compared to the Camry.

I think we can all agree the Accord is best in class and so good it makes Acura redundant. I'm happy with Toyota/Lexus not having that problem.

Maybe just maybe people like the Camry b/c its not trying to be something it isn't. Its an honest car and surely the new one will be improved.

Considering how much better the competition has gotten, the Camry still is #1 in sales. When the Camry does well in reviews, the internetz come up with every reason why it still sucks.

The Camry is a problem any company would love to have.

Originally Posted by lamar411
Amen lamar!

Old 01-21-14, 06:32 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Camry VS 2014 Camry

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-21-14 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 06:33 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sure, but Toyota also had its own problems and you say Camry sucks... Yet Camry sold 200,0000 more than Sonata.

3 years ago, here in this forum, people were saying how Sonata will take over Camry, possibly in 2012. Last year, people were predicting how Fusion will take over Camry.

All that happened was Camry selling even more and both Ford and Hyundai having huge fleet sales... Hyundai does 2x more fleet than Toyota and Ford does 3x more fleet than Toyota.

But once again, I personally would not buy Camry ever for myself. I would buy it for my wife though.

However, Camry has huge following of people who buy them, and they are not car enthusiasts. If they made Camry like Mazda 6, their sales would tank, even if I personally preffer Mazda 6.

So what I am saying is that people are confusing their personal preferences with market preferences. Next Camry will be "good" for 2014, just like this one was good in 2011, and then 2-3 years later, we will have another thread like this where people will say it sucks big time and it needs to change or Hyundai/Ford/Honda will overtake it.
camry always sold well. that's not the issue here. if sales # are only priority then why even bother trying? that's what happened to corolla for longest time and toyota finally did something about it. and why even bring up sonata? sonata never was a best seller. as far as sales goes they were always middle of the road. they don't even have a capacity to make more than 300k sonatasper year.

camry buyers buy camry even if it looks like a dog crap. just like civic and accord buyers. if camry looks great it's a huge plus. there is a reason why they are bringing this up. it never hurts to improve.
Old 01-21-14, 06:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by hlee12
camry always sold well. that's not the issue here. if sales # are only priority then why even bother trying? that's what happened to corolla for longest time and toyota finally did something about it. and why even bring up sonata? sonata never was a best seller. as far as sales goes they were always middle of the road. they don't even have a capacity to make more than 300k sonatasper year.

camry buyers buy camry even if it looks like a dog crap. just like civic and accord buyers. if camry looks great it's a huge plus. there is a reason why they are bringing this up. it never hurts to improve.
So now Camry buyers buy a car if it looks like dog crap. Thats a very derogatory statement as Lamar stated he owns one. :thumbed:

Sales are the MAIN PRIORITY, its a BUSINESS.

It seems the entire class was pretty forgettable in looks and the others tried to beat the Camry by offering more stylish looks. It didn't work, the Camry is still #1. The consumer has won as the mid-size class now has some stylish options for the average buyer, something that was unthinkable 20 years ago.

The Sonata sales ARE DOWN. So the capacity is there. Their FLEET SALES skyrocketed. So seems style is not the main factor for sales. Maybe not lying about your MPG could be a hint. Stop making excuses for Hyundai and then bashing Toyota who obviously offers a product more people want.

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary