Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 11:33 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Not sure what exactly are you questioning, Civic facelift was maybe year soon but it didnt change the car dramatically... they added a lot of chrome and changed 2-3 materials and colors. Of course they PR'd the heck out of it, just like Toyota will PR this.

Also, Camry is the best selling car on the market, just got rated best quality car in the class and obviously Toyota is very profitable company so Camry brings them profits. Not sure why hasnt it been satisfactory?
I see that I did not properly clarify my main point and came across as vague. That Civic facelift was not as minor as you claim, as it was more than some of the past Camry MMCs itself and instead of being done in 3 years, occurred 20 months after launch. The current Camry has been considered unsatisfactory by the likes of Akio Toyoda and also had poor small-overlap crash results, which has now been fixed recently.

You refuse to objectively see that, by already insinuating by comparison that Honda made insignificant changes to their Civic, when that isn't the case even. I wouldn't have objected to that, if your "chrome, colors, and 2-3 materials" comment didn't match up to the actual level of changes. Moderate sheetmetal alterations took place, which still requires lead time for retooling, no matter how minor. One could say that the rear end of the 2011-2012(MY2012) Civic is quite similar to the 2001-2004 Camry, which received equally moderate by comparison changes in 2004(-06), as did the 2009-2011 facelift.

Just because it sells well, doesn't automatically make it a truly quality vehicle against the competition. The same story with the 2012 Civic, which is only comparable in regards to the automotive media and enthusiasts highlighting low points.

I'd like to see where and how it was stated that the current Camry was "best" in its class aside from J.D. Power's misapplication. I recognize and respect that Toyota justifiably couldn't do the same, as the time period to commence such work was during the 2011 Japanese natural disasters. They were even lucky enough to get the 2012 model launched in time.
Old 02-15-14, 07:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The most interesting part about cars in this segment is... the controversy.

Every time I see a new Passat, I mistake it for a Chevy. They should all be painted white with the word "CAR" stenciled on the side in blue, block letters. The most generic car out there. Like buying beer that says "BEER" on the can.

I don't mind the Camry, particularly in SE trim. Even the factory wheels are decent.

The Accord is the classiest and most desireable car in this segment, to me. My parents bought a '13 EX-L V6 and it's quite a nice car. Excellent bang-for-the buck for the $30K price.

The people who are complaining the loudest probably would not buy any of these cars anyway.
Old 02-15-14, 09:09 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The most interesting part about cars in this segment is... the controversy.

Every time I see a new Passat, I mistake it for a Chevy. They should all be painted white with the word "CAR" stenciled on the side in blue, block letters. The most generic car out there. Like buying beer that says "BEER" on the can.

I don't mind the Camry, particularly in SE trim. Even the factory wheels are decent.

The Accord is the classiest and most desireable car in this segment, to me. My parents bought a '13 EX-L V6 and it's quite a nice car. Excellent bang-for-the buck for the $30K price.

The people who are complaining the loudest probably would not buy any of these cars anyway.
which one?

Old 02-16-14, 05:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Just because it sells well, doesn't automatically make it a truly quality vehicle against the competition. The same story with the 2012 Civic, which is only comparable in regards to the automotive media and enthusiasts highlighting low points.

I'd like to see where and how it was stated that the current Camry was "best" in its class aside from J.D. Power's misapplication. I recognize and respect that Toyota justifiably couldn't do the same, as the time period to commence such work was during the 2011 Japanese natural disasters. They were even lucky enough to get the 2012 model launched in time.
I dont quite get it, what is this JD Power misapplication? JD Power's dependability survey is the quality survey. What else do you want? If anything, quality of materials in 2011 models was worse from 2012 model.

If you think this is major change when it comes to Civic, power to you. Front they barely changed, they changed back a bit and profile is exactly the same with new wheels.
Old 02-16-14, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Every time I see a new Passat, I mistake it for a Chevy.
That was the idea. VW wanted it to appeal to mainstream American buyers, as past ones generally didn't. And, yes, it is working. The mistake-for-a-Chevy Passat is selling.

And, while we're on the subject of Chevy, take a new 2014 Impala out for a spin (preferably with the V6). It is NOTHING like the previous ho-hum, rental-grade Impalas it replaces. Consumer Reports didn't give it a 95 out of 100 rating on its road test for nothing. I reviewed one myself and was stunned with its chassis engineering.
Old 02-17-14, 11:12 AM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink he

I am afraid you have no idea what you are talking about.

By "elegant looking" and "german made perfect balance" are you referring to the cheap plastic rim, window trim, plus the 1980's dash and below-the-bar build quality of the interior?

Oh, you must also be a fan of the 2.5L iron block engine which is very 90ish and nothing-to-mention MPG of your german favorite vanilla?

OK, maybe you are willing to spend more $$ on the WOLFSBURG ED or SE but I have to tell you it is still cheap, very cheaply made and looks.

It's simply not the best vanilla, but at least it is cheap, for the price you paid and what you got.

Originally Posted by hlee12
i agree. Accord is bland. but it's a good bland. it's one of the better looking family sedan. i'll take accord over camry anytime anyday. hell, i'll take accord over passat too. better ride, reliability, and better interior. only thing i like about passat's interior is the huge rear seat.

i repeatedly said Passat is a better vanilla of the two.I find Passat a safe german design that works on many angles. it looks bit more 'dressed up' than camry. and it just feels bit more substantial exterior wise. i'm aware that Passat didn't raise the level. it's probably not the best looking offering. (IMO, mazda6 is). but it's has a good balance of vanilla/elegance. my problem with passat is its lazy interior and so-so quality.

on the other hand camry isn't just a vanilla. i Camry IMO has many issues.

-it's proportion makes it look smaller
-wedge shape isn't for everyone. just funky looking. compare that to passat's hoffmeister kink
- front is tad busy
- rear 3/4 looks off - it looks like it's a compact sedan

am i really bashing toyota? I find Avalon & Corolla very handsome. those 2 are among leaders in their classes. I hate Rav4. but I like highlander. Tundra to me is the best looking truck. I hate scion TC, but i love FRS. so on.

I'm always about product vs. product. as far as family sedan goes Camry is one of the weakest link in terms of design both interior and exterior IMO. I see Mazda6 park next to Camry every day. Mazda6 is making camry look very old and weary. but IMO passat holds its own against mazda6. passat has that safe/elegant/understated appeal to it. but of course, interior is rather cheap and dated.
Old 02-17-14, 12:35 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

How long can an argument over who makes the most boring midsize sedan go on?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-17-14, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
16 pages and counting
Old 02-17-14, 02:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
we had exactly the same thread back in 2011 and we will have one in 2016 :-)
Old 02-17-14, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This is CAR CHAT.........EVERYTHING car-related goes on and on.
Old 02-17-14, 05:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this thread real?
Old 02-17-14, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Hey, what do you guys think of the Camry?
Old 02-17-14, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ok, the thread has run its course. when we know more about '15+ camry, we can merge.

thanks all.