Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 11:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another goofy-looking Benz with the new styling theme that uses Hyundai-style exaggerated styling cues. No thanks. It seems as though Benz didn't learn anything from the mess of the late 1990-early 2000s, when their models had Asian styling cues and quality dropped and when they had way too many models and variations.
Old 04-17-13, 11:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Another goofy-looking Benz with the new styling theme that uses Hyundai-style exaggerated styling cues. No thanks. It seems as though Benz didn't learn anything from the mess of the late 1990-early 2000s, when their models had Asian styling cues and quality dropped and when they had way too many models and variations.

You act as if the "Asian styling cues" and quality issues go hand in hand. Last time I checked styling has nothing to do with the quality of the car. How would you know Mercedes didn't learn any lessons, quality wise? Their reliability has shot way up from where it was during their dark period.

And way too many models and variations? Show me what competitive car maker hasn't increased the amount of models in its line up over the past decade. If Mercedes is going to stay afloat, it better be creating more models and variations because otherwise the competition will leave it far behind.
Old 04-18-13, 12:10 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed

You act as if the "Asian styling cues" and quality issues go hand in hand. Last time I checked styling has nothing to do with the quality of the car. How would you know Mercedes didn't learn any lessons, quality wise? Their reliability has shot way up from where it was during their dark period.

And way too many models and variations? Show me what competitive car maker hasn't increased the amount of models in its line up over the past decade. If Mercedes is going to stay afloat, it better be creating more models and variations because otherwise the competition will leave it far behind.
Sigh.

I was talking about the general period of time for Benz at that point, during the "dark period" for them, where both quality and design was mediocre.

I didn't say anything about quality being bad now, I was merely making an analogy.

With that said, while quality seems fine for the new Benz models, their interiors are getting a bit too shiny, and they're not exactly class-leading interiors right now (save for one or two models).

I guess you forgot that during the "dark period" Mercedes concluded they had too many models that were cannibalizing sales from each other, and other models were suffering from poor sales. Mercedes then at that point made their model lineup a bit smaller and more organized, yet now they've decided to go against that and reverse direction again!

Just because you CAN make a new model doesn't mean you SHOULD. Many of the new niche models from BMW and Audi are answers to questions that nobody asked, and they're not exactly achieving huge sales. Benz should not be so desperate to follow them.

Having too many models risks diluting your brand, and it also stretches engineering resources more thin.

Benz is not Volkswagen. They should not be aiming for a model for every niche. Benz historically is all about class and luxury. I see very little class in most of their new designs, and desperately trying make to new models for every niche is not luxury.
Old 04-18-13, 12:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sigh.

I was talking about the general period of time for Benz at that point, during the "dark period" for them, where both quality and design was mediocre.

I didn't say anything about quality being bad now, I was merely making an analogy.

With that said, while quality seems fine for the new Benz models, their interiors are getting a bit too shiny, and they're not exactly class-leading interiors right now (save for one or two models).

I guess you forgot that during the "dark period" Mercedes concluded they had too many models that were cannibalizing sales from each other, and other models were suffering from poor sales. Mercedes then at that point made their model lineup a bit smaller and more organized, yet now they've decided to go against that and reverse direction again!

Just because you CAN make a new model doesn't mean you SHOULD. Many of the new niche models from BMW and Audi are answers to questions that nobody asked, and they're not exactly achieving huge sales. Benz should not be so desperate to follow them.

Having too many models risks diluting your brand, and it also stretches engineering resources more thin.

Benz is not Volkswagen. They should not be aiming for a model for every niche. Benz historically is all about class and luxury. I see very little class in most of their new designs, and desperately trying make to new models for every niche is not luxury.
^^^ This is what ive been thinking/saying for the longest time now. Thanks TRDFantasy!
Old 04-18-13, 03:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I do remember that time, a time when Mercedes had Chrysler in the corporate portfolio too. They're going in that opposite direction for a reason. The top level segment is stagnant where all the potential for profit is in the bottom end. Mercedes is well aware they can't play the "I only play in the big leagues" game the way they used to in the past- Audi and BMW have increased their prestige, and brands like Maserati and Bentley are becoming more accessible.

Very little engineering resources are wasted on these niche vehicles as they're using the same components as their platform mates. And those models don't need to sell in big numbers to bring profit to the company, which is the end goal. With the Euro market going softer than ever, these models are very important to the bottom line.

Time to let go of the MB of the past. Times have changed and so must Mercedes. Without these bottom end models bringing money they won't have the funds to keep the S-class as the standard of the world.
Old 04-18-13, 04:58 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MB has more models options than ever before and they have had huge strides in quality from the early 2000s. While also increasing sales. Aside from new tech such as ABC and airmatic suspension and such, much of their quality rep was destroyed by the intro of the M class. That was a reliability debacle.

Their "asian" styled vehicles of the early 2000s, those were the best selling models of all MB history. The new S carries design themes from the Maybach, the W220 and the W221 and has been universally well received as a elegant and beautiful design. I guess MB will never learn...
Old 06-06-13, 04:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Next-ge Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Next-gen Mercedes C-Class spotted under the covers

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5939652/

We aren't expecting to see the next-generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class until the 2014 Detroit Auto Show next January, but our quick-snapping spy shooters managed to catch a prototype being pulled out from under the covers. In these shots, we can clearly see that the new C-Class will take many of its design cues from the larger E- and S-Class sedans – something that's especially noticeable with the more vertical taillamps.

When Mercedes-Benz launches the new C-Class next year, it will reportedly come with a range of gasoline, diesel and hybrid powerplants, as well as a couple of different bodystyles (at least sedan and coupe, anyway). Of course, Mercedes-Benz will need to reposition the C-Class in its lineup, since this small sedan will no longer be the entry point to the brand, what with the fresh new CLA-Class hitting our market later this year.

Still, there should be a lot to like about the upcoming C-Class, and folks from Mercedes-Benz are eager to get this thing on the road. In an earlier Automotive News report, the company's US CEO, Steve Cannon, admitted that, "We were fighting the 3 Series with two arms tied behind our back, and now we will change that."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/06/n...er-the-covers/
Old 06-06-13, 05:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Cant wait. Probably will trade my C class in for this or for the CLA

funny how the headlight design looks like the 2008 one before the mid cycle refresh which they then make slimmer and now its back
Old 06-07-13, 07:25 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another MB with a dull rear end. It all just melds together, absolutely no interesting details on the back of their recent cars.
Old 06-07-13, 07:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^That's because the entire rest of their cars are so overstyled
Old 06-07-13, 08:26 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^That's because the entire rest of their cars are so overstyled
by the time they get the end, they've run out of style
Old 06-07-13, 08:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Infra
Another MB with a dull rear end. It all just melds together, absolutely no interesting details on the back of their recent cars.
Look for that design trend to continue. Apparently its wholly intentional on non-coupe cars.
Old 06-23-13, 09:14 PM
Hoovey689

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5982311/
Old 06-23-13, 11:09 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Perhaps it is the black camo, but the next C looks long..... Almost E class long.

I guess what they say about cars is true: every gen gets bigger, heavier, and costs more.

In 20 years, there will be C classes that are longer than today's LWB S550s.
Old 06-23-13, 11:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Vertical taillights look dumpy. Actually, the whole sloping trunk looks dumpy and feminine. Copying the new S-class here was not a good idea.

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread