Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Old 01-18-14, 08:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Also in an interview Tada-san has said he did not want the new "Supra"/Toyota flagship sports to step on the toes of the 86/FR-S.
Cross shopping a $20k ish car vs. $50k ish car????

I have no interest in the 86/frs whatsoever.
Old 01-18-14, 08:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Cross shopping a $20k ish car vs. $50k ish car????

I have no interest in the 86/frs whatsoever.
You do not understand what I am saying at all.

Other people on this thread wants a $35k base model with a NA V6.

I stated that Tada-san has said he would not like the new Toyota flagship sports car to step on the toes of the 86/FR-S.

That is why I said there will most likely only be one version offered in the $50k-$60k price range. And no $30-$35k base model.
Old 01-18-14, 08:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

You do not understand what I am saying at all.

Other people on this thread wants a $35k base model with a NA V6.

I stated that Tada-san has said he would not like the new Toyota flagship sports car to step on the toes of the 86/FR-S.

That is why I said there will most likely only be one version offered in the $50k-$60k price range. And no $30-$35k base model.
Ah, gotcha
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-18-14, 10:06 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agreed with Whitigir on this. Niche cars will not have high sales, so there needs to be a good price gap.

This is one of the reasons why we did not get the 94-99 Celica GT-4. If offered it would have surely taken sales from the NA MK4 Supra.

The 2015 facelift FR-S is aso said to get a power boost to 250hp. I'm sure that will also come with a price increase.

Tada-san has also said the 2nd gen FR-S will be a different animal. And I'm thinking the sub 86 car will kinda take off where the FR-S started.

I think Toyota will just offer one version of the new Supra. Either with an I6 TT or a V6 TT making 450hp+ and pricing at $55k (That is in between Mr. Kevin Hunter's range).
Spot on!! I think you are correct, and there will only be 1 trim of the Supra, the TT. It will be somewhere below the RC-F. Probably like you said, 55K. Now this will fill it in, and stop people from cross shopping.
Old 01-18-14, 11:04 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't make much sense for Toyota to NOT offer a sports car in the $35-50k bracket...that's just too big of a gap. They need to keep the price of the 'Supra' down closer to $40k, not upwards of $60k, IMO. Fine if that means giving up some features or power. Or make 2 levels of the car: one for around $40k (petrol only?) and one for $50k+ (hybrid?).

They need a competitor for the Z, like back in the '90's. That was the sweet sport for JDM sports car greatness...they have to remain somewhat affordable, otherwise they'll continue to let the Koreans take more market share based on value alone.

And a 'sub-FR-S' car never made sense to me...what, is it gonna have 130 hp? May as well buy a normal DD with the same or more power for the same price and without the other compromises. At least in the US, I don't see much of a market for something with less b4lls than your average commuter car. Remember the MR-S? That's a car that was a fail before it even had a chance because they refused to put even the 2ZZ in it. Made absolutely no sense.
Old 01-18-14, 11:07 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We catch up with CALTY Design Progect Manager William Chergosky for an up close look at the Toyota FT-1 Concept car at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show.
Old 01-18-14, 11:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Initial B
It doesn't make much sense for Toyota to NOT offer a sports car in the $35-50k bracket...that's just too big of a gap. They need to keep the price of the 'Supra' down closer to $40k, not upwards of $60k, IMO. Fine if that means giving up some features or power. Or make 2 levels of the car: one for around $40k (petrol only?) and one for $50k+ (hybrid?).

They need a competitor for the Z, like back in the '90's. That was the sweet sport for JDM sports car greatness...they have to remain somewhat affordable, otherwise they'll continue to let the Koreans take more market share based on value alone.

And a 'sub-FR-S' car never made sense to me...what, is it gonna have 130 hp? May as well buy a normal DD with the same or more power for the same price and without the other compromises. At least in the US, I don't see much of a market for something with less b4lls than your average commuter car. Remember the MR-S? That's a car that was a fail before it even had a chance because they refused to put even the 2ZZ in it. Made absolutely no sense.
The FR-S will most likely go up in price with the facelift and power boost. Tada-San has also confirmed the 2nd gen FR-S will be a different car. It could be that the 2nd FR-S will be going up market to better compete with cars like the Z, Genesis coupe, and that upcoming Kia GT-4.

Nissan has even a lager price gap between the GT-R and Z. A $20k or so price gap is not that big.

Tada-san has already said no hybrid on a new Supra. Its been posted like 10x.

Kevin Hunter along with another Toyota official is hinting at the $50k-$60k so that is what I am going by.

MR-2 also failed because Toyota did little to none marketing for it.
Old 01-18-14, 12:50 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota FT-1: Gran Turismo 6 concept car makes real-word appearance at Detroit show

Toyota FT-1: Gran Turismo 6 concept car makes real-word appearance at Detroit show

As concept cars go, the Toyota FT-1 concept made a good case for star of the show at the Detroit Motor Show 2014. And if you’re gutted that you never actually get to go up close and personal with these types of concepts, then here's a little treat - because you can already "drive" the FT-1 as part of a special download made available for PlayStation racer Gran Turismo 6 (GT6).

Car makers aren’t always known for being particularly responsive, but from our discussions with various makers it seems apparent that they are becoming increasingly worried that a generation of people are more interested in phones and video games, than cars. That’s part of the reason why we’ve seen manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz with its Vision GT Concept and now Toyota, creating concepts specifically for racing games.

And there’ll be more to come. In Detroit, Nissan’s global design chief told us his company was developing something unique for GT6 too. And we've already seen bonkers looking cars such as the BladeGlider.

However, while the Mercedes concept did seem to be a true one-off for the game, the Toyota has other reasons for existence. It shows Toyota’s desire to build exciting sports cars again and, perhaps if you squint your eyes heavily, gives us some hint at a new generation Supra - a famous Toyota name plate that’s been dormant since the 90s.

On the Detroit show stand the FT-1 looked a diminutive thing. Certainly striking, but smaller than it appears even in photos. Its overall proportions and the form reminded us to some extent of the TVR Sagaris. A shame that company no longer makes cars. Whether or not you like the aesthetic, it’s hard to argue with the fact that a brand like Toyota - known for its beige saloons and eco-friendly Prius - is conjuring up things as exciting as this.

It’s a concept of course, so talk of its powertrain is largely academic, but as Toyota pointed out to us during our hands-on session, the FT-1's proportion clearly suggests a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout if it does make road production. One thing that is perhaps a little strange, though, is that this concept was apparently developed independently of the joint venture Toyota has with BMW to develop future hybrid, rear-wheel drive sports cars. Yes that’s right, Toyota says the FT-1 is not a hybrid, which is a surprise given the company’s history and expertise in this area.

Visually there’s a lot to get your head around. A huge McLaren/Bugatti like rear-wing, an F1-like central nose section, flanked by two gaping apertures which, in a cool bit of retro detailing, you could see the fans within. There’s also the racing car signature, the double-bubble roof, and a giant Plexiglas see-through section on the bonnet to look in upon the (non-existent) engine within. Like a Ferrari, but just at the other end of the car.

All manner of scoops and winglets signal the FT-1’s racing intent, but if you’re looking for true futurama, you need to step inside where the cockpit feels genuinely different. The steering wheel, just like contemporary Ferraris, takes its lead from F1 cars, with a pair of paddle shifters attached, various adjustment buttons in its lower segment and a display read out in the very top section of the wheel rim.

Ahead of it, the stalks for things like the lights migrate onto the dashboard, and as the driver your attention is channelled to a centre section, where a portrait screen displaying the race track circuit, and a head-up display above it projects speed, revs and all the normal feedback info.

While your taste might have much to do with whether you actually love or loathe the FT-1, it’s exciting to see a brand like Toyota do something like this. The GT-86, which we love, showed the brand moving in the right direction and trying to engage with the emotional, driver-orientated customer. This is a preview of the next step. Not only is the company trying to excite young people in the brand, but suggesting that they’re seriously thinking about a powerful yet lightweight high performance coupe.

We doubt the FT-1 will make it into production, but however it turns out, as an idea it’s definitely something to get excited about. And to continue that excitement, go switch on that PS3 and fire up GT6 to get the closest experience you're likely to ever get.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1266...t-detroit-show
Old 01-18-14, 12:52 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with supra26. It only make sense for the frs to climb up as the power increase happens. It will be more like Porsche power to weight ratio. More power = more expensive parts. There is no reason why to keep it cheap and take losses
Old 01-18-14, 12:59 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota FT-1 Convertible rendered

The Toyota FT-1 debuted at this weeks Detroit Motor Show and it certainly caused a stir if not stole the show! The car is purely a concept at present and does not even have an engine but features some stunning design elements.

FT-1 stands for “Future Toyota,” and the number “1” represents the ultimate, Toyota’s words not ours! According to its designers, the FT-1 Concept is the defining expression of a Toyota coupe design, building upon Toyota’s rich sports coupe heritage dating back to the 2000GT, Celica, Supra, MR2 and most recently Scion FR-S/GT 86, all fantastic cars in their own right.

We are already seeing renders of the car being published online and this one from xtomidesign certainly caught our eye, a convertible version of the car! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/01/16/r...1-convertible/
Old 01-18-14, 01:55 PM
xioix
Racer

The IS and RC can be the cars at 35-50k while the "Supra" can be the 50-60k can and the RC-F be the 70k+ car.

Or the Toyota version of the BMW Z4 could be the car in the 30-45k range
Old 01-18-14, 02:17 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

There were also rumors going around saying the BMW/Toyota coupe would be the next gen 86/FR-S.
Old 01-18-14, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't care for verts but.. oh herro there
Old 01-18-14, 03:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

It doesn't make much sense for Toyota to NOT offer a sports car in the $35-50k bracket...that's just too big of a gap.
of course they will offer the sports car in 35k-40k... because competition does, and it will take their sales. Nobody exists in a vacuum.

Supra that sells only at $60k level would be a special order car that sells 100 units per month world wide.

If they build Supra, it will start at $35k range thats for sure. And it will start with 2.0t engine.
Old 01-18-14, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

There were also rumors going around saying the BMW/Toyota coupe would be the next gen 86/FR-S.
I heard a rumor that they will build a spaceship to go to Mars together.

Will you ever stop with rumors that make no sense? You kept going on Supra being based on BMW for quite a while. It is getting annoying to get thread derailed on unsubstantiated rumors and personal wishes. Think about what makes sense and post that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1