Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bulb grease for my sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 02:07 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb grease for my sunroof?

Can I use bulb grease to grease my sunroof tracks?
Old 09-21-13, 10:54 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your sunroof is sticking or grinding when opening or closing, you may have some damage - these things are designed to operate dry on nylon rollers and bearings. You can rub down rubber gaskets with Armorall to keep them supple. If you have an older car that needs a little lube, your best option is a very thin coat of a waterproof white grease like Lubriplate. For fasteners on convertible tops, zippers, snaps, and the like, a tiny dab of pure lanolin (available in bulk from your pharmacist) is a good choice. It won't stain and works well on zippers on your clothing as well. The stuff is a viscous white gel that is used as the base for many fine lotions, and a little goes a long way; a couple of ounces should last you for years. Use it sparingly and work it in by operating the snap or zipper several times to be sure it is well distributed, then wipe off any excess and it into your hands rather than waste it.

Last edited by Lil4X; 09-22-13 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 07:19 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If your sunroof is sticking or grinding when opening or closing, you may have some damage - these things are designed to operate dry on nylon rollers and bearings. You can rub down rubber gaskets with Armorall to keep them supple. If you have an older car that needs a little lube, your best option is a very thin coat of a waterproof white grease like Lubriplate. For fasteners on convertible tops, zippers, snaps, and the like, a tiny dab of pure lanolin (available in bulk from your pharmacist) is a good choice. It won't stain and works well on zippers on your clothing as well. The stuff is a viscous white gel that is used as the base for many fine lotions, and a little goes a long way; a couple of ounces should last you for years. Use it sparingly and work it in by operating the snap or zipper several times to be sure it is well distributed, then wipe off any excess and it into your hands rather than waste it.
its not necessarily grinding, however it does sound dry when sliding back and forth in its tracks. I will pick up the correct lubrication. Thank you!