Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pulled the trigger on a new...*gasp* Nissan LEAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 09:43 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I think the technology exists today for a 300 mile range electric car, Tesla makes one. Now to be able to get that down to an 18k Honda Civic pricepoint isn't going to happen IMO. In fact, due to the horrid sales of the Nissan Leaf, I doubt any car maker is going to even build another cheap electric car. No demand plus they can't make any money on it means electric cars will remain a novetly for the well to do in their Tesla for the forseeable future IMO.
The battery pack in a Tesla Model S costs about the same as a Toyota Camry. I don't see how they ever bring down the costs of electrics to the equivalent ICE cars. No government intervention (tax dollars). Notice that regular home batteries AA's, etc...have never come down in price regardless of the tremendous volume they sell at. In fact, they have gotten way more expensive over the years.

Not saying these car batteries won't get cheaper, they will but only to a certain point. And that point will never be affordable enough for true mainstream success.
Old 07-28-15, 11:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like current EVs are great for leasing .

The silence of electrics and instant torque are two things only an EV (and PHEV) owner will understand and appreciate. Except for the iMIEV, they're decently equipped inside with reasonable plastic quality (Remember that the iMIEV is based on the "i" which is a supermini so expect supermini level plastic quality). Even the Model S has a few quality and expectation issues that aren't befitting of its price (to me), however, the electric experience more than makes up for it.
Old 07-29-15, 12:38 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The battery pack in a Tesla Model S costs about the same as a Toyota Camry. I don't see how they ever bring down the costs of electrics to the equivalent ICE cars. No government intervention (tax dollars). Notice that regular home batteries AA's, etc...have never come down in price regardless of the tremendous volume they sell at. In fact, they have gotten way more expensive over the years.

Not saying these car batteries won't get cheaper, they will but only to a certain point. And that point will never be affordable enough for true mainstream success.
I read an opinion from one of the major financial firms that the battery plant in Nevada that Elon Musk/Panasonic is building will help lower the cost of the battery 30+%. Not sure what that means as I'm not a numbers guy and I'm sure it depends largely on dealer mark up. If the savings to produce a battery is lowered by 30% but the dealer takes that and pockets it them it's a moot point. So we'll see. I think electric will be ready for prime time 2-5 years from now. Especially once that factory starts humming.
Old 07-29-15, 07:22 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The silence of electrics and instant torque are two things only an EV (and PHEV) owner will understand and appreciate. Except for the iMIEV, they're decently equipped inside with reasonable plastic quality (Remember that the iMIEV is based on the "i" which is a supermini so expect supermini level plastic quality). Even the Model S has a few quality and expectation issues that aren't befitting of its price (to me), however, the electric experience more than makes up for it.
Plain old hybrid owners also appreciate these points I'm spoiled by the noise and vibration-free idle on my ES hybrid, the smooth and quiet ride in EV mode and the muscular midrange shove from the electric motor. I kinda hate driving ICE loaners and rentals, once you go electric you can't ever go back.

As for Tesla's Gigafactory, it's supposed to bring down battery prices through huge volumes and lots of automation. A 30% drop in costs would make a Model S comparable to a 5 series without needing government subsidies; a smaller battery pack (150 miles?) could be fitted in a Corolla-sized sedan and priced close to an ICE car. The main selling point would be a much lower lifetime running cost than usual cars.
Old 07-29-15, 11:03 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Plain old hybrid owners also appreciate these points I'm spoiled by the noise and vibration-free idle on my ES hybrid, the smooth and quiet ride in EV mode and the muscular midrange shove from the electric motor. I kinda hate driving ICE loaners and rentals, once you go electric you can't ever go back.

As for Tesla's Gigafactory, it's supposed to bring down battery prices through huge volumes and lots of automation. A 30% drop in costs would make a Model S comparable to a 5 series without needing government subsidies; a smaller battery pack (150 miles?) could be fitted in a Corolla-sized sedan and priced close to an ICE car. The main selling point would be a much lower lifetime running cost than usual cars.
I suppose so (and great for sneaking up on m....). The ESh is much quieter than my Prius too .
Old 07-29-15, 02:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Funny, you should mention this. We purchased a 2012 Civic around the time we bought the Leaf as well (for our daughter).

They were about 2k apart in price, after subsidies and rebates. Things that the Leaf excels in over the civic include city driving, hov lane access, lower NVH, minimal maintenance, and being immune to fuel price fluctuations (which happens a lot in CA). The Civic is great for long distances and handle/carry much more load. Other than that, its ur standard compact ICE, has regular maintenance requirements, and is at the mercy of OPEC. Different strokes for different folks imho, since the leaf is a pure commuter car, while the Civic can serve several purposes. I don't regret getting the Leaf (my wife still lves it). I am disappointed that Nissan has sat on its laurels not updating the Leaf though. We'll probably buy another EV in the nott too distant future, when battery tech catches up.
any reason why you didn't consider the 1G Volt or 2G Volt....doesn't it accomplish both? commuter car and long distance cruiser.

no range anxiety and pure electric when you want it as well.