Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pulled the trigger on a new...*gasp* Nissan LEAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 05:46 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Thanks for the update. I'm hearing and reading about ranges being extended for these econo electric vehicles to the 200-250 mile range.
Would that have changed your mind or did the dealership sour the experience to the point you wouldn't buy another?
If a Leaf2 could do 200 miles, we wouldnt need to go to the dealer at all!

And yes, I'd get another one in a heartbeat if it was at the same price point!

There are still many advantages for EVs including 1) minimal maintenance 2) instaneous torque 3) HOV lane usage and 4) not reliant on gas prices, but no one has figured out that magic formula for a decently priced and designed car for the average person.
Old 07-26-15, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

There are still many advantages for EVs including 1) minimal maintenance 2) instaneous torque 3) HOV lane usage and 4) not reliant on gas prices, but no one has figured out that magic formula for a decently priced and designed car for the average person.
What I don't understand is how a Leaf can serve some one better than a Civic. The Leaf is so much more costly while the Civic is not that bad on the gas.
Old 07-26-15, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What I don't understand is how a Leaf can serve some one better than a Civic. The Leaf is so much more costly while the Civic is not that bad on the gas.
Alternate-fuel vehicles often qualify for big tax credits and HOV priviledges. During rush hours in large cities, the HOV lanes can dramatically affect commuting times. All-electric vehicles also do not need oil changes, cooling-system service, anti-freeze, transmission service, spark plugs, emission inspections, filter changes, or some of the other services that conventional gas vehicles do.
Old 07-26-15, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Alternate-fuel vehicles often qualify for big tax credits and HOV priviledges. During rush hours in large cities, the HOV lanes can dramatically affect commuting times. All-electric vehicles also do not need oil changes, cooling-system service, anti-freeze, transmission service, spark plugs, emission inspections, filter changes, or some of the other services that conventional gas vehicles do.
If you are an average consumer like most people, what you are saying is not that important as most people are not extreme mileage people.

The cost to run a modern car during the warranty period is minimal.
Old 07-26-15, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you are an average consumer like most people, what you are saying is not that important as most people are not extreme mileage people.
If you saw the kind of rush-hour gridlock that a lot of drivers in the L.A./SoCal, D.C. Metro, and Atlanta areas have to routinely deal with, you'd see how important HOV use is without having to have extra people in the car (or illegally putting dummies/mannequins in the seats to try and fool police and cameras) is.

(yes, some unscrupulous people actually do that).
Old 07-26-15, 08:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If you saw the kind of rush-hour gridlock that a lot of drivers in the L.A./SoCal, D.C. Metro, and Atlanta areas have to routinely deal with, you'd see how important HOV use is without having to have extra people in the car (or illegally putting dummies/mannequins in the seats to try and fool police and cameras) is.

(yes, some unscrupulous people actually do that).
I have a business office in Toronto. I used to have a hybrid that gave me access to the HOV. FYI, Toronto has the busiest highway in NA.
Old 07-26-15, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have a business office in Toronto. I used to have a hybrid that gave me access to the HOV. FYI, Toronto has the busiest highway in NA.
All the more reason, then, not to make the claim that HOV and other alternate-fuel vehicle privileges aren't important.

(I assume you are referring to Lexus CT you once had...where your screen-name presumingly came from)
Old 07-26-15, 08:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

$18k can buy a LOT of gas
Old 07-26-15, 08:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

All the more reason, then, not to make the claim that HOV and other alternate-fuel vehicle privileges aren't important.

(I assume you are referring to Lexus CT you once had...where your screen-name presumingly came from)
Well, the busiest highway in NA is not HOV'd. Also, HOV are good but when they end you hit traffic. They need to run the whole network to be more effective
Old 07-26-15, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the busiest highway in NA is not HOV'd. Also, HOV are good but when they end you hit traffic. They need to run the whole network to be more effective
OK, that part I'll agree with. (and you're right.....oddly, that road is not HOV'ed). One cannot empty a gallon-jug all at once through a small neck.....same effect with traffic
Old 07-26-15, 09:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

OK, that part I'll agree with. (and you're right.....oddly, that road is not HOV'ed). One cannot empty a gallon-jug all at once through a small neck.....same effect with traffic
I have driven D.C. highways many times. Haven't been there for a while but I think the centre lanes reverse during rush hour, is that correct?
Old 07-26-15, 09:44 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Funny, you should mention this. We purchased a 2012 Civic around the time we bought the Leaf as well (for our daughter).

They were about 2k apart in price, after subsidies and rebates. Things that the Leaf excels in over the civic include city driving, hov lane access, lower NVH, minimal maintenance, and being immune to fuel price fluctuations (which happens a lot in CA). The Civic is great for long distances and handle/carry much more load. Other than that, its ur standard compact ICE, has regular maintenance requirements, and is at the mercy of OPEC. Different strokes for dofferent folks imho, since the leaf is a pure commuter car, while the Civic can serve several purposes. I don't regret getting the Leaf (my wife still lves it). I am disappointed that Nissan has sat on its laurels not updating the Leaf though. We'll probably buy another EV in the nott too distant future, when battery tech catches up.
Old 07-26-15, 09:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
$18k can buy a LOT of gas
I think u missed the part where it was heavily subsidized ($10k) by state and federal rebates....the car was selling for $18k after all of that.
Old 07-26-15, 11:36 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

Thanks for the feedback. My work is in discussion to install those 480 V(?) charging system and with the announcement by two car companies that they plan on a goal of reaching 200+ miles per charge that would certainly hit the sweet spot for me as I commute 4k a month. Just waiting for both to to cross paths and I'll then make a decision. Certainly looks promising. Especially if they throw in tomorrows technology into it that dang near makes it a self driving car I'm sold. Lane departure, distance, automatic braking etc. The next few years should be VERY interesting. By 2020 we should be have a 300 mile range econocar.
Old 07-27-15, 04:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I think the technology exists today for a 300 mile range electric car, Tesla makes one. Now to be able to get that down to an 18k Honda Civic pricepoint isn't going to happen IMO. In fact, due to the horrid sales of the Nissan Leaf, I doubt any car maker is going to even build another cheap electric car. No demand plus they can't make any money on it means electric cars will remain a novetly for the well to do in their Tesla for the forseeable future IMO.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a new...*gasp* Nissan LEAF