Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q30

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I jsut wish infiniti would come out with a new q45
One that would SELL, of course. The last Q45s just sat around on dealer lots collecting dust and bird droppings, even with big sales-incentives.
Old 06-27-14, 09:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Ok, so the QX30 and the Juke rebadge for China are confirmed to be two completely different models. That's good. So we've seen pics of the Q30 concept and spy pics of the ESQ Juke rebadge, but we have yet to see pics of this QX30. It will certainly be interesting to see how Infiniti is going to juggle the QX30 & QX50 in their lineup, considering how small the QX50 is (unless they're planning on making it larger for the next generation - likely). So I guess it's safe to assume the ESQ Juke will be badged a QX40. Sort of a niche product ala the X6. 6 SUVs/Crossovers is a lot, but people love their SUVs.

I didn't know there was any confusion about that. The QX30/Q30 was always going to be based of the Mercedes platform.

Things we can assume:
1) The ESQ is not coming to the US
2) The QX30 will likely look alot like the Q30 concept (styling wise)
3) We will get a traditional sedan Q30
4) The QX50 will grow in size to do battle with the Lexus NX, Lincoln MKC, etc.
Old 06-27-14, 09:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

QX30 entry-level crossover
CUVs are a hot thing. Infiniti needs this to spark some extra volume and interest in the brand while the real face and change of Infiniti could be a Q90 flagship is planned
Old 06-27-14, 09:52 AM
LexFather

Isn't the EX/Q whatever thing a CUV? Or will that become this? They had a CUV ages ago it just wasn't executed very well and sold very poor.

Old 06-27-14, 09:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
CUVs are a hot thing. Infiniti needs this to spark some extra volume and interest in the brand while the real face and change of Infiniti could be a Q90 flagship is planned
I agree the CUV segment is hot and every luxury and/or upscale brand needs to be in it. X3, Q5, GLK, RDX are all doing very well. Lexus and Lincoln are a little late to the party with the NX and MKC but they too will finds buyers pretty quick.
Old 06-27-14, 10:46 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I didn't know there was any confusion about that. The QX30/Q30 was always going to be based of the Mercedes platform.
While there's been tons of press on the Q30, there's been basically none on the QX30. In fact, a QX30 was all pretty much an assumption up until this point, as there was little to no information regarding its possible existence.

Things we can assume:
Why do you assume the Q30 will be a traditional sedan? All of the Q30 concept pics show a hatch design, not a traditional sedan design. The G37 is morphing into the Q40 for MY2015, so it's safe to assume they are going to keep it in the lineup for the foreseeable future as their entry level sedan. That's not to say they can't offer three entry level sedans (Q30, Q40, & Q50), but that's a lot. So you're saying the concept they've been showing off all this time is actually going to be the QX30 and not the Q30? I suppose it's possible, but I would have thought they would have called the concept the "QX30" and not the Q30. Although I do like your assumption and I hope you're right.
Old 06-27-14, 11:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree the CUV segment is hot and every luxury and/or upscale brand needs to be in it. X3, Q5, GLK, RDX are all doing very well. Lexus and Lincoln are a little late to the party with the NX and MKC but they too will finds buyers pretty quick.
From RDX on the low end to Macan on the high end and everything else above inbetween, consumers have never had it so good
Old 06-27-14, 11:34 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Things we can assume:
1)Correct
2)No it will not. Different model and rather much better looking than the Q30.
3)Possibly
4)Yes, for MY2016.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Isn't the EX/Q whatever thing a CUV? Or will that become this? They had a CUV ages ago it just wasn't executed very well and sold very poor.
Still on sale as the QX50 and will be replaced as early as next year.

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
While there's been tons of press on the Q30, there's been basically none on the QX30. In fact, a QX30 was all pretty much an assumption up until this point, as there was little to no information regarding its possible existence.

Why do you assume the Q30 will be a traditional sedan? All of the Q30 concept pics show a hatch design, not a traditional sedan design. The G37 is morphing into the Q40 for MY2015, so it's safe to assume they are going to keep it in the lineup for the foreseeable future as their entry level sedan. That's not to say they can't offer three entry level sedans (Q30, Q40, & Q50), but that's a lot. So you're saying the concept they've been showing off all this time is actually going to be the QX30 and not the Q30? I suppose it's possible, but I would have thought they would have called the concept the "QX30" and not the Q30. Although I do like your assumption and I hope you're right.
No the Q30 and QX30 are not the same. The QX30 is an Evoque/X1 competitor and is different from the Q30. Think of A-Class to GLA. The Q30 concept does what it's supposed to do, preview only the Q30. The 2016 QX30 is rather much better looking than the production Q30.
Old 06-27-14, 11:44 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
1)
No the Q30 and QX30 are not the same. The QX30 is an Evoque/X1 competitor and is different from the Q30. Think of A-Class to GLA. The Q30 concept does what it's supposed to do, preview only the Q30. The 2016 QX30 is rather much better looking than the production Q30.
That's what I figured. What are your thoughts on the Q40? Sticking around past MY2015? Will it be redesigned? will it morph into a FWD sedan ala the old I35 or stay RWD?
Old 06-27-14, 12:13 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite the handsome car! Infiniti builds some real eye catchers, at least I never lose mine in a parking lot! Waiting to see what they have in store for the new FX35/QX70. Nothing against Lexus, as I've had my share of RX's, but the FX sure beats the RX in handling, ride, and power.
Old 06-28-14, 03:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
1)
Don't fully agree with the statement about Q30 and QX30 being not the same, but agree with the A-class to GLA analogy and the rest.

Q30 is to QX30 as the Impreza is to the Crostrek XV. Straight from Infiniti's mouth below.

So arguably they are "the same" platform, body, interior, etc, with the difference mainly in suspension (height). Much like Volvo does with their V70 and and XC70 and a Legacy Wagon to an Outback. To me, and this is my opinion, this is the modern take on badge engineering and simply beefing up the suspension, tweaking exterior trim and styling cues but with the same roofline, interior, platform, and body panels, interior space, cargo, and powertrain does not make for a new/different vehicle.

http://www.houseofjapan.com/auto-mot...tralia-by-2017

Australia’s luxury small car class is set to grow by 2017 with the arrival of the Infiniti Q30 hatch and the higher-riding Infiniti QX30 SUV.

Infiniti Australia general manager Campbell York said that the new models – which will respectively rival the Audi A3, BMW 1 Series, Lexus CT200h, Mercedes-Benz A-Class and Volvo V40 in hatchback guise and the Audi Q3, BMW X1 and upcoming Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class in crossover form – are currently being planned “for release in around 2016-2017?.

The QX30 – which hasn’t yet been previewed in concept or production form – was described by York as a rugged looking version of the Q30 – “imagine a Subaru XV-style version,” he said.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-28-14 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-28-14, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The EX35 was, IMO, built quite well, and had a very impressive interior with high-quality materials. It didn't seem to share a lot of the cost-cutting that Ghosn was forcing on other Nissan/Infiniti products at the time. It did have two flies in the ointment, though (IMO)...a stiffer-than-necesssary ride and a silly droop-down rear roofline that made the rear cargo area a joke....especially by SUV/CUV standards.
Old 06-28-14, 09:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Even worse, its back seat was even smaller than the G37 sedan. Never understood why they shortened the wheelbase for the CUV.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Don't fully agree with the statement about Q30 and QX30 being not the same, but agree with the A-class to GLA analogy and the rest.

Q30 is to QX30 as the Impreza is to the Crostrek XV. Straight from Infiniti's mouth below.

So arguably they are "the same" platform, body, interior, etc, with the difference mainly in suspension (height). Much like Volvo does with their V70 and and XC70 and a Legacy Wagon to an Outback. To me, and this is my opinion, this is the modern take on badge engineering and simply beefing up the suspension, tweaking exterior trim and styling cues but with the same roofline, interior, platform, and body panels, interior space, cargo, and powertrain does not make for a new/different vehicle.

http://www.houseofjapan.com/auto-mot...tralia-by-2017
Yup. They're going to look quite similar, which is fine.
Old 06-30-14, 08:51 AM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/30/m...ial/#continued

I assume this has something to do with this car....

Renault-Nissan Alliance and Daimler expand cooperation with new plant in Mexico

t's official, folks: After initial reports last week indicated that Mercedes-Benz was preparing to begin assembly at the Nissan plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico, the two parent companies have announced just that. Only instead of using the existing Nissan plant at the site (in operation since 1992), Daimler and the Renault-Nissan Alliance have announced a joint venture to build a new one alongside it.

The latest stage in the growing French-German-Japanese collaboration is part of a new collaboration that will see Infiniti and Mercedes jointly develop and build a line of compact premium vehicles, with the first Infiniti models set to roll off the assembly line in 2017 and the first Benzes to follow a year later. Neither party announced exactly which models that would encompass, but Mercedes already has a robust line of small vehicles (including the A-Class, B-Class, CLA and GLA), and Infiniti has long been toying with the idea of slotting in something smaller below the Q50.

The billion-euro project, split evenly between the two industrial giants, is set to create 5,700 new jobs in Mexico. In addition to the Aguascalientes project, Infiniti and Mercedes are also undertaking joint production of four-cylinder engines (initially for the C-Class and Q50) in Decherd, Tennessee, from which they will be exported around the world. By the time the new factory in Mexico reaches full capacity in 2021, it will have the capability to produce 300,000 vehicles annually. That's on top of the 850,000 vehicles the existing facility is capable of handling.

Old 06-30-14, 11:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

It will for the next gen. The upcoming models are being built in the UK.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q30