Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus kill off the GX for a new CUV (TX)?
Yes
41.24%
No
24.74%
I think there is room for both vehicles in the Lexus lineup.
34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 09:43 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it wont sell though... GL doesnt sell well. They already have LX for that.

They need something like JX..
GL is the #1 selling Large Luxury SUV in America I believe...
Old 07-30-13, 10:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Star
But the GL is not a crossover, its an SUV.
GL is on a unibody chassis, so it is indeed a crossover. It is based on the M Class architecture.
Old 07-30-13, 11:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
But the GL is not a crossover, its an SUV.

I think the TX is meant to compete with the R-class type segment (which is kind of dead now, but maybe Lexus can revive the segment).

I can't wait 4 years for a damn TX though. I wish Lexus rolled out products faster...but I know they want to produce a good product.
Regardless of what this TX is, it needs to ooze luxury, class, and refinement. It needs to be innovative, safe, technological and efficient. My biggest concern is the cost cutting is still evident throughout Lexus. The GS tricked us into thinking the issue was taken care of. The ES and IS are proof cost cutting is alive and well despite them gaining new merits and credibility vs respective competitors.

Originally Posted by spwolf
it wont sell though... GL doesnt sell well. They already have LX for that.

They need something like JX..
GL and Escalade sell well for their class. LX not so much. But we don't even know the size or purpose of this TX/GX thing. All speculation and wants for now.

Originally Posted by pbm317
The opinion of one enthusiast minded person doesn't reflect any sort of real-world business case and the great buying public. I'm sure lots of people at Toyota/Lexus corporate would want to punch every salesperson in the face at some point.
Of course not, but it doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong either. It's a valid point, if you're buying a "luxury" make then you'd expect first rate materials and quality. Does it make sense for a business to try and net as much profit as possible at the expense of thinning out their offerings vs doing what's best for the customer by offing what is promised to them by those who wear a luxury badge? Well that's just the age old question. I'd like to think that a company that started out with such good intentions and mindful of quality would still uphold those laurels
Old 07-31-13, 05:02 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a fully redisigned RX to me, nothing like the GX or LX. Totally different vehicles, each are ment for different market segments.
Old 07-31-13, 07:27 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone thinks the GX will be killed off? It's based on the Land Cruiser Prado / 4Runner so they already have something to build it on.
Old 07-31-13, 08:31 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Of course not, but it doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong either. It's a valid point, if you're buying a "luxury" make then you'd expect first rate materials and quality. Does it make sense for a business to try and net as much profit as possible at the expense of thinning out their offerings vs doing what's best for the customer by offing what is promised to them by those who wear a luxury badge? Well that's just the age old question. I'd like to think that a company that started out with such good intentions and mindful of quality would still uphold those laurels
I agree that a luxury make should have first rate materials and quality, but look around! BMW 3 series interiors are pretty shoddy in terms of materials. The plastics feel thin and cheap. ***** rotate with minimal dampening. Audi, while great in design, has sat on their laurels a bit. The slush molded dashes and door panels that they debuted way back when are still quite common throughout their lineup, including the RS5 that I just checked out. No leather stitching or softer touch materials.

"Best for the customer" really is determined by the market. And a business is in fact designed to make as much profit as possible for themselves and their shareholders. Yes, in a consumer product type of industry, they need to cater to the needs and desires of the customers, but they also look to make the best return for their investment. In the automotive world, this often is correlated to volume.

Market for something closer to the Infiniti JX is MUCH larger than for something more akin to the Mercedes GL.

I love that there's this much speculation from a TX trademark application from Toyota. I see TX more aligned with the Tacoma TX series that has had a few special editions.
Old 07-31-13, 09:31 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I agree that a luxury make should have first rate materials and quality, but look around! BMW 3 series interiors are pretty shoddy in terms of materials. The plastics feel thin and cheap. ***** rotate with minimal dampening. Audi, while great in design, has sat on their laurels a bit. The slush molded dashes and door panels that they debuted way back when are still quite common throughout their lineup, including the RS5 that I just checked out. No leather stitching or softer touch materials.

"Best for the customer" really is determined by the market. And a business is in fact designed to make as much profit as possible for themselves and their shareholders. Yes, in a consumer product type of industry, they need to cater to the needs and desires of the customers, but they also look to make the best return for their investment. In the automotive world, this often is correlated to volume.

Market for something closer to the Infiniti JX is MUCH larger than for something more akin to the Mercedes GL.

I love that there's this much speculation from a TX trademark application from Toyota. I see TX more aligned with the Tacoma TX series that has had a few special editions.
You're absolutely correct, and the biggest issue is that "sheep" aka customers allow this sort of shoddy behavior from Luxury makes. If we actually stood up and didn't buy their product until they offered something first rate, well that would force their hand. As it stands I can't imagine organizing something with so many variables (people) - same reason why there is no world peace

I always say, I like individuals and hate people (masses - mob mentality).
Old 07-31-13, 01:51 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I know with the Trunda Texas edition it says "Texas" and not "TX". Also awhile back a Lexus official said that they were looking into a larger 7 seater crossover and that one of Lexus' truck based SUV maybe dropped for a car based CUV.
Old 07-31-13, 02:00 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I also posted the same info and pics on other forums and some people though it was a brand new concept from Lexus. Someone even made a comment saying that the HPX is a rip off of the CX9, but everyone here knows it predates the Mazda.
Old 07-31-13, 02:56 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I know with the Trunda Texas edition it says "Texas" and not "TX". Also awhile back a Lexus official said that they were looking into a larger 7 seater crossover and that one of Lexus' truck based SUV maybe dropped for a car based CUV.
The Tundra "Texas" edition is not actually made by Toyota. It's a package that's developed/installed by the distributor of Toyota's for that region.
Old 07-31-13, 06:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I'm a huge huge fan of the GX. Most under-rated, under-appreciated vehicle in the Lexus lineup in my opinion. Tons of luxury, tons of utility/capability, and tons of value (if you carefully option the base model and keep it under $60k).

Loaded body-on-frame vehicles are cash cows for manufacturers. Just look at all the "lux" pickup trucks padding bottom lines of the domestics. Luxury body-on-frame vehicles (even loaded 4Runners) do the same for Toyota.

The body-on-frame SUV has a place in the Lexus lineup. I hope they keep it. It's a poor man's LX/Land Cruiser. Current GX could easily be my next car.
Old 07-31-13, 06:39 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I'm a huge huge fan of the GX. Most under-rated, under-appreciated vehicle in the Lexus lineup in my opinion. Tons of luxury, tons of utility/capability, and tons of value (if you carefully option the base model and keep it under $60k).

Loaded body-on-frame vehicles are cash cows for manufacturers. Just look at all the "lux" pickup trucks padding bottom lines of the domestics. Luxury body-on-frame vehicles (even loaded 4Runners) do the same for Toyota.

The body-on-frame SUV has a place in the Lexus lineup. I hope they keep it. It's a poor man's LX/Land Cruiser. Current GX could easily be my next car.
I don't find the barn door very intuitive at all. More of a hindrance
Old 08-01-13, 04:23 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually from someone who has been using the "barn door" for 9 years I find the new generation door hinge much better than the first generation one. I know it gets a bad rap but it works fine and really I have never had a problem with it. It is very easy to open. The size of the door would make it very hard to open if it was a lift gate style door. It would need to be a split style door like the X5 or LX. The only issue I have had is when parking when I know I will need to open the back to make sure someone does not park too close to me from behind or I will not be able to open it. That has never really been an issue because I park very far away from everyone. On the new generation the back glass can open up allowing you to put items in the back without having to open the full door which is nice.
Old 08-01-13, 06:02 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

So do you own one??

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Actually from someone who has been using the "barn door" for 9 years I find the new generation door hinge much better than the first generation one. I know it gets a bad rap but it works fine and really I have never had a problem with it. It is very easy to open. The size of the door would make it very hard to open if it was a lift gate style door. It would need to be a split style door like the X5 or LX. The only issue I have had is when parking when I know I will need to open the back to make sure someone does not park too close to me from behind or I will not be able to open it. That has never really been an issue because I park very far away from everyone. On the new generation the back glass can open up allowing you to put items in the back without having to open the full door which is nice.
Good to know.
Old 08-01-13, 07:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i love the ultimate version of Prado.. i think it is much better buy than LC/LX.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX / GX / TX speculation