Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on new Avalon ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-13, 01:45 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
No one will ever be happy, people always called the Avalon boring and an "old man's car", but as soon as Toyota made the care firmer and a little more driver oriented, people still *****.....no way to make everyone happy
Nope

Such is life

I like it.
Old 07-03-13, 01:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Nope

Such is life

I like it.
Me too. The new gen is stylish and contemporary looking and selling VERY well.
Old 07-03-13, 08:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good points, and certainly a quieter design is better than just adding weight by trying to cover it up.

on a related note hondas have always had pretty quiet engines, but very little sound insulation, so there's lots of road noise that comes into the cabin. they've been using active noise cancellation in recent years - not sure how well it works, but in the pilot i was in a while back, it was pretty worthless as far as i could tell.

in recent years, the direct injection in lexus engines produce a lot more (ticking) racket than older engines, in the interest of performance and fuel economy. this is masked generally by sound insulation when the windows are closed.

anyway, i understand what you're saying, but quiet is quiet when you're inside. a ford f-150 truck does not exactly have a quiet engine when you stand beside it, but it's vault-like quiet inside. it's really impressive.

and while the avalon may have a quiet engine and good aerodynamics, the new one i drove recently was not THAT quiet, mainly road noise coming through.

once again, a trade off of cost, what's acceptable, and meeting other goals of fuel economy, performance, noise, etc.
I will always rather take a quiet design over a quiet tuned (no pun intended) vehicle. I was ready over the specs from the quiet tuned Verano I4 and a designed from the ground up Avalon, although the Avalon weighs 130lbs more, and comes with a standard V6, it meets or almost meets the Verano with regard to MPG. The trade offs of a very good design are good MPG.

That is not to say that the Verano is not good, it just is certainly not great. And it not a luxury car either.

As for your ride in the Avalon, everything I have read is that it is on par with the LS for being quiet.
Old 07-03-13, 09:43 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Nope

Such is life

I like it.
I like it too, just saying........you can't please everyone....people will always complain about something. I always liked the Avalon, this generation is awesome in my opinion, I love it!
Old 07-04-13, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
No one will ever be happy, people always called the Avalon boring and an "old man's car",...
a little absolute, no? maybe some will never be happy and people sometimes call the avalon boring...

.....no way to make everyone happy
now that's true!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I will always rather take a quiet design over a quiet tuned (no pun intended) vehicle.
i think that's a false dichotomy, as both techniques are applied by all car makers but by differing degrees of each. i've disliked hondas / acuras for years in the fact that they don't do much sound insulation.

I was ready over the specs from the quiet tuned Verano I4 and a designed from the ground up Avalon, although the Avalon weighs 130lbs more, and comes with a standard V6, it meets or almost meets the Verano with regard to MPG. The trade offs of a very good design are good MPG.
good points. of course the avalon is about 50% more expensive too.

As for your ride in the Avalon, everything I have read is that it is on par with the LS for being quiet.
i find that hard to believe, although it's been a while since i was in an LS.

edit: just did some googling and according to a post in this thread, some surprising info (if correct)...

BMW 535i:
Idle: 39.3 dBA
31 mph (50 km/h): 57.7 dBA
50 mph (80 km/h): 61.1 dBA
62 mph (100 km/h): 64.2 dBA

Lexus LS 600h:
Idle: 42.6 dBA
31 mph (50 km/h): 60.6 dBA
50 mph (80 km/h): 63.0 dBA
62 mph (100 km/h): 66.4 dBA
i wouldn't be surprised, as a 5 i was in about a year ago was extremely quiet.

edit (one more ) - found this which puts ls600hl as quietest along with a bmw and mercedes diesel
http://www.dmv.com/blog/quiet-cars

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-04-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-04-13, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a little absolute, no? maybe some will never be happy and people sometimes call the avalon boring...

now that's true!

i think that's a false dichotomy, as both techniques are applied by all car makers but by differing degrees of each. i've disliked hondas / acuras for years in the fact that they don't do much sound insulation.

good points. of course the avalon is about 50% more expensive too.

i find that hard to believe, although it's been a while since i was in an LS.

edit: just did some googling and according to a post in this thread, some surprising info (if correct)...

i wouldn't be surprised, as a 5 i was in about a year ago was extremely quiet.

edit (one more ) - found this which puts ls600hl as quietest along with a bmw and mercedes diesel
http://www.dmv.com/blog/quiet-cars
It was Edmunds that recored the Avalon Hybrid at 59 dbl for the interior at 70 mph, that would make it quieter than even the LSh. I don't dount their claims as the Avalon is one silent car from everything I read.

You mentioned that the Avalon starts at 50 percent higher than a Verano, and that starting price is why I don't think the Verano or Buick is even close to luxury car or near luxury car. I am not sure that the Avalon is a luxury but it sure has all of the credentials of one.