Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on new Avalon ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 04:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Motor Trend on new Avalon ride quality

"Sad to say,A comfortable composed ride is something the Avalon just doesn't have".
It crashes and bangs over the smaller bumps,then floats away over the bigger ones.
Those crashes and bangs also transmitted a lot of noise through the cabin,leading to a cheap and unrefined feel,according to excutive editor Ron Kiino.

Old 06-25-13, 05:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

from CR....

While trying to make the car sportier to drive, Toyota didn't get the balance quite right. The steering is no longer super light, nor the ride floaty. But the handling isn't good enough that you'd want to hustle the car down twisty roads. Worse yet, the ride is harsh and abrupt with the 18-inch wheels. We favor the 17-inchers on our hybrid model. Dynamically, the Avalon is sending mixed signals.

There is much to like about the redesigned Avalon, but thus far, our testers are wishing for a bit more suspension refinement. Score one for Lexus luxury but it's penalized for a very un-Lexuslike ride.

from Edmunds......

Driving Impressions

The first thought when driving the 2013 Toyota Avalon might be: "Is this really the Avalon?" It seems that the redesign has also provided a personality change. The stiffer body is immediately apparent by delivering an assured ride but one that is still comfortable. Designers have firmed up the steering to provide more road feel, while the brakes are nicely tuned to match the increased responsiveness of the drivetrain.

The engine is smooth and powerful and will provide plenty of acceleration to please most drivers. Although Avalon buyers in love with the previous car's indifferent dynamics might be a little disappointed with the new car, overall we think this sedan offers a nice blend of comfort and useful performance.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-25-13 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 06:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Well how ever it rides,it's selling well.
Old 06-25-13, 06:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Well how ever it rides,it's selling well.
Yes it is. I think there is a pent up demand for the updated Avalon. I test drove one a week ago (had a $550 offer from Toyota). I thought it drove nice, very similar to the ES, no surprise. To me the interior looked better in pictures but in person seemed too shiny and plastic. I can see how it is popular with (old) guys like me.
Old 06-25-13, 06:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes it is. I think there is a pent up demand for the updated Avalon. I test drove one a week ago (had a $550 offer from Toyota). I thought it drove nice, very similar to the ES, no surprise. To me the interior looked better in pictures but in person seemed too shiny and plastic. I can see how it is popular with (old) guys like me.

I haven't driven one but did sit in a loaded Avalon.
Same here on the interior.Seemed to be a bit too plasticy and kind of cheap looking but not too bad.
Wouldn't stop me from buying one.
The ES center console and door panels looked worse to me.
Old 06-25-13, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Just one more example (and there here have been many lately) of something I've said for some time now......automakers trying to make sport-sedans out of cars that aren't supposed to be sport sedans. There are enough BMWs, Audis, Taurus SHOs, Lexus F-models, and other sport-sedans on the road....leave the traditional luxo-cruisers alone for those who want a soft, floaty ride. Unfortunately, with very few exceptions, there are almost no truly soft-riding cars left.....although there are some excellent combinations of a ride/handling compromise like the BMW 335, the new Chevy Impala, and Buick Lacrosse.

Having said that, though, the new Avalon is not a fail by any means...especially if you keep it on smooth roads. It (now), IMO, not only equals, but exceeds, the new Lexus ES350 in interior quality. Its overall fit/finish is first-rate.....and a noticeable step-up from the previous model.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 09:01 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay I've driven the new Avalon for extended period of time now at my job and the ride is nowhere near as bad as the reviews say. The old Avalon was just so soft and boat like that any improvement in handling would make it seem stiffer and harsher.

One thing I don't miss about the old Avalon is having the entire rear end squat with its soft suspension with just a couple passengers in the rear without even loading up my luggage.
Old 06-25-13, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Okay I've driven the new Avalon for extended period of time now at my job and the ride is nowhere near as bad as the reviews say. The old Avalon was just so soft and boat like that any improvement in handling would make it seem stiffer and harsher.
I agree (as I stated above) that it isn't that bad on smooth roads, especially with the 17" wheels. But on rutted pavement, it now approaches sport-sedan-firm.

Actually, the "old" 3Gen Avalon you speak of (the last version), though clearly softer then the new one, wasn't as soft as the 1Gen version that debuted in the U.S. market in 1994. Now, THAT car was comfortable. .......but its interior, IMO, s**ked compared to the new one.
Old 06-25-13, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well at least the new one looks nice
Old 06-25-13, 01:01 PM
mattsti10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The visual appeal of the car is there from the exterior, but the interior feels kinda sorta cheap, but like previously stated, it is better than the ES interior/centerconsole IMO
Old 06-25-13, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i drove a new avalon recently, and it's pretty quiet but not THAT quiet, and (this one had the biggest stock rims i believe, 19's?) the ride was pretty stiff, noticeable on small bumps, but on decent highway it was great. i found the overall interior ergonomics to be poor (especially the ludicrously small 'information' display between the main guages).
Old 06-25-13, 08:05 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Driven it several times, the reviewers are on something. It rides just as nice as my Grandparents 2010, and they never noticed any stiffness either when they drove it.
Old 06-25-13, 08:06 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree (as I stated above) that it isn't that bad on smooth roads, especially with the 17" wheels. But on rutted pavement, it now approaches sport-sedan-firm.

Actually, the "old" 3Gen Avalon you speak of (the last version), though clearly softer then the new one, wasn't as soft as the 1Gen version that debuted in the U.S. market in 1994. Now, THAT car was comfortable. .......but its interior, IMO, s**ked compared to the new one.
I have a '98, it's smooth, it's quiet, it's refined.

It's not as smooth as a gen 3.
Old 06-25-13, 08:10 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

For us car enthusiasts, stiff equals better
Old 06-25-13, 10:31 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.......although there are some excellent combinations of a ride/handling compromise like the BMW 335, the new Chevy Impala, and Buick Lacrosse.

Car and Driver begs to differ regarding the ride/handling balance if the F30 335i :

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...m-sport-page-3

And yet, the M Sport package fails to rectify our complaints about the F30 chassis. There’s more movement from both front and rear axles than expected, more than its predecessor exhibited and, notably, more than either the ATS or the IS displays. Even with the optional suspension, body control falters. Bumps that the Lexus absorbs and the Cadillac shrugs off with a single succinct compression and rebound make the BMW pitch and roll and fight to stay on-line. Compared with the other two cars here, the BMW feels immense and slow-witted.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend on new Avalon ride quality