Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 09:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why call them sheepish? I'm sure that, like most people, they work hard for their money. And if they feel that, for those hard-earned dollars, that Honda gives them the best product for their needs, then who are we to call them dumb or naive?

For example, I myself happen to have a very low opinion of the Chevy/GM Colorado/Canyon medium-sized truck...IMO, by modern truck-standards, a POS. But I have respect for those who disagree with me, feel that it is a good buy for the money, and will congratulate them on their purchases, wishing them good luck with them. That's not having a double-standard....just being polite, tolerant, and courteous.
I say that, because consumers aren't punishing Honda for their failures. Yes they make reliable cars with good quality, but that's it. Toyota also makes reliable and quality cars for example, as does Nissan.

So what meaningful and logical reason is there for people to keep buying Honda over other brands, when Honda continues with mistake after mistake, blunder after blunder?

This isn't about respecting other people's opinions, this is about why consumers aren't punishing Honda.

The Colorado/Canyon sales have been dismal, and that is an example of consumers punishing a company for a bad product.
Old 05-14-13, 10:23 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I say that, because consumers aren't punishing Honda for their failures. Yes they make reliable cars with good quality, but that's it. Toyota also makes reliable and quality cars for example, as does Nissan.

So what meaningful and logical reason is there for people to keep buying Honda over other brands, when Honda continues with mistake after mistake, blunder after blunder?

This isn't about respecting other people's opinions, this is about why consumers aren't punishing Honda.

The Colorado/Canyon sales have been dismal, and that is an example of consumers punishing a company for a bad product.
Honda the brand does not continue to make mistake after mistake. However they have in some instances dropped the ball with Acura. Consumers are punishing them for those mistakes though. Nobody bought the RL or ZDX. The ILX isn't meeting sales goals. The TL isnt selling as well as the previous generation. So I don't understand how you could say that the consumers aren't punishing them for those mistakes, they are. The MDX, RDX, & TSX are great products though and have sold well for good reason.
Old 05-14-13, 11:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Honda is really an incredible case study of a company so out of touch and full of failure, a company that continues to be propped up by sheepish fans. That's the only reason the company still survives.

I've said it many times before, and will say it again, Honda needs to exit out from the automotive business and stick to motorcycles and little lawnmower engines.
I could not agree more. It is the same thing happening with the current lackluster and dated Corolla. People still (sheepishly) buy it because of it's reputation and reliability. I believe it's the same thinking that sprouts Civic sales.

Maybe in reality Honda and Acura are now "normal." We could have seen their best days when the first Integra and Legend hit, with things blowing up then and now coming back down to what most other brands produce- hit and miss average models. Like we could spend the next ten years putting down the company when in fairness they are just putting out average products like their peers (GM, Chrysler, Ford- no premium brands). Thoughts?
Old 05-15-13, 03:53 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I still don't know of another corporation or company that can continually make large-scale mistakes and still survive. We are going on almost ten years of failures, blunders, and falters from Acura/Honda.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... if I created such problems for my company, I would have been fired long ago.
Two words. Brand loyalty.
Old 05-15-13, 01:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Honda the brand does not continue to make mistake after mistake..
lol wut
Crosstour
Insight disaster
CR-Z disaster
Ridgeline
Element

Agreed, but Acura still has the perception of being more reliable than most other brands. It has built its reputation over the past 25 years and in many ways they offer exactly what customers want (especially with their bread and butter products). I myself am not passionate about them, but they are excellent as daily drivers. I still miss my 2005 TL

Acura has 4 products that are stellar and sell well - the MDX, RDX, TL, & TSX. Then they have the 3 products that are not stellar and do not sell as well - the ZDX, RLX, & ILX. So it's a mixed bag. I'm glad to hear they axed the ZDX and after this year it will be gone. The RLX can be fixed by lowering the price and making it AWD standard and offering it loaded. If they want to offer a hybrid option as well, fine, but pricing it at 70k or even 60k is ludicrous for them. The ILX is selling ok, but they need to lower sales expectations and offer a more powerful engine choice. However, it cannot and will not replace the TSX no matter what options they offer. They need to realize this fast or their overall sales are going to drop. Mark my words. Most of those potential TSX buyers are not going to move up to a TL or down to an ILX, they will simply move on to another brand.
More misinformation
The MDX sells well
The RDX sells well
The TL is a complete sales failure. The goal was 70k a year and they have never sold HALF that number.
The TSX flopped and did not sell as well as the previous model. Thus one of the reasons it will be discontinued.

The ILX IS NOT selling okay, the goal was 40k and they are on pace for 24k. How is that selling okay? Mind you this is a car you can lease for $200 a month and costs 26-34k so it is very very obtainable.

Exactly as evidenced by the guy above, tons of people like that and it is a point that even the new reviewers have stated with the ILX and RLX, its like the company stopped trying and is happy just selling average to their loyal customers that don't question anything. That malaise kills a brand. Amazingly the Accord didn't get hit by it.

I mean the RDX sells really well and has anyone actually experienced it or seen the features? A Ford Escape or Kia Sorento offers more tech and features. Its amazing how it sells to loyal fans. I guess though we can say that about a lot of cars, the last gen Camry and even this gen gets screamed for it.

Old 05-15-13, 01:58 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
More misinformation
The MDX sells well
The RDX sells well
The TL is a complete sales failure. The goal was 70k a year and they have never sold HALF that number.
The TSX flopped and did not sell as well as the previous model. Thus one of the reasons it will be discontinued.
The TSX flopped?? It was their highest selling sedan for months. It is not being discontinued because it "flopped". They are trying to position the ILX in its place and have a 3-sedan structure and renaming strategy, which has not worked as planned thus far. Furthermore, it is not yet official if they will in fact discontinue the TSX. Acura has said they are keeping it "for now". They would be very foolish to discontinue it IMO, because it has been an absolute sales success. The current generation is also 5 years old now and cannot be expected to sell in the numbers it did back in 2008. The fact that it sells in the numbers it does 5 years later and is almost tied with the ILX in monthly sales speaks volumes about how well it has been received by the public. They are everywhere here in New York. Unbelievable misinformation that you would call the TSX a flop
Old 05-15-13, 02:01 PM
LexFather

The TSX flopped?? It was their highest selling sedan for months. It is not being discontinued because it "flopped". They are trying to position the ILX in its place and have a 3-sedan structure and renaming strategy, which has not worked as planned thus far. Furthermore, it is not yet official if they will in fact discontinue the TSX. Acura has said they are keeping it "for now". They would be very foolish to discontinue it IMO, because it has been an absolute sales success. The current generation is also 5 years old now and cannot be expected to sell in the numbers it did back in 2008. The fact that it sells in the numbers it does 5 years later and is almost tied with the ILX in monthly sales speaks volumes about how well it has been received by the public. They are everywhere here in New York. Unbelievable misinformation that you would call the TSX a flop
The TSX used to sell 40k units a year. Now its on pace for what 15k a year. Yeah that bodes well.
Here ,let me help you read
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

As posted in the other thread

Of the projected annual TL volume of 70,000 units, Acura only predicts five percent—or 3500—will be the TL SH-AWD with the manual transmission.

Old 05-15-13, 02:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, but the new TSX is a complete and total flop, and I don't know how anyone in their right mind would even consider buying it. Its not a good car, and its not a good value. They wouldn't be discontinuing it if it was successful.

Acura itself is a history of failure, and here is a list of its discontinued nameplates, at least the ones I can remember.

Integra
Legend
Vigor
SLX
ZDX
RL
RSX
NSX
CL
EL (in Canada)
CSX (in Canada)

Soon to be TSX and ILX.

This is a brand that has no sense of trying to build up brand history and keep flipping on their own statements. I've seen politicians that are more consistent than that.
Old 05-15-13, 02:20 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

The TSX used to sell 40k units a year. Now its on pace for what 15k a year. Yeah that bodes well.
Here ,let me help you read
WRONG.
Here, let me help you with some actual facts.
Here are the yearly sales figures of the TSX since 2003:

2003 18,932
2004 30,365
2005 34,856
2006 38,035
2007 33,037
2008 31,998
2009 28,650
2010 32,076
2011 30,935
2012 28,865

This is a "sales flop"??
The truth is the TSX has consistently sold well for it's entire existence.
FYI, the previous generation had a starting MSRP of 26k and the current generation has a starting MSRP of over 30k, which goes to show you how well the current TSX in reality has sold
Old 05-15-13, 02:22 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Sorry, but the new TSX is a complete and total flop.
Please refer to my sales chart above. You may not like the TSX, but it has always sold well and I can't fathom how anyone could call it a sales flop
Old 05-15-13, 02:24 PM
LexFather

WRONG.
Here, let me help you with some actual facts.
Here are the yearly sales figures of the TSX since 2003:

2003 18,932
2004 30,365
2005 34,856
2006 38,035
2007 33,037
2008 31,998

2009 28,650
2010 32,076
2011 30,935
2012 28,865

This is a "sales flop"??
The truth is the TSX has consistently sold well for it's entire existence.
FYI, the previous generation had a starting MSRP of 26k and the current generation has a starting MSRP of over 30k, which goes to show you how well the current TSX in reality has sold
Are you sober? You just proved our point. The car peaked with the first gen at 38,035 sales. The 2nd gen (2009+) had its best year at 32,076.

THis is gold! The car is on pace today for under 20k sales. This is good?

Old 05-15-13, 02:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Prices of all cars have gone up, heck the 3 series is getting more expensive, and there are more and more models that BMW sells, and there are more models from the competition - yet sales of the 3 series continue to increase. There's a huge and growing market for entry luxury cars, yet the TSX sales continue to drop. For instance the 2IS easily outsells 1IS, and 3IS should do even better - but Acura keeps plucking it up.

The first gen TSX was actually a good car for the money and I almost bought one back in 2005. The second gen is a lesser car, with less options, no wood trim, and with no justification for increased price tag. The same could be said for just about any Acura model.

With that being said, the TSX is still the best looking Acura model... not that its saying much.
Old 05-15-13, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

I say that, because consumers aren't punishing Honda for their failures.
punishing? lol of course acura was 'punished' for an RL that wasn't competitive or very interesting. the civic and corolla both sell like crazy, so maybe they're just well-suited to their target sheep i mean market.

most people don't think of an entire brand, and while honda, LIKE ALL BRANDS, makes mistakes and blunders, they also have home runs like the new accord, and of course the cr-v, the refreshed rdx, etc.

those models specifically may not sell well, but that's hardly 'punishing' GM as a whole, which sells a zillion silverados, malibus, and so on.
Old 05-15-13, 02:41 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Are you sober? You just proved our point. The car peaked with the first gen at 38,035 sales. The 2nd gen (2009+) had its best year at 32,076.

THis is gold! The car is on pace today for under 20k sales. This is good?
You said the previous generation sold 40k (wrong) and the current generation would sell 15k. However, this is the first full year that Acura is intentionally trying to sell the ILX over the TSX as its entry level model. So it's currently competing against the ILX, so that is simply an unfair comparison. Taking the first full 4 years of previous generation sales and the first full 4 years of current generation sales, these are the total numbers:

1st generation: 136,293
2nd generation: 120,526

Slight difference (mostly due to significant price increase and stiff competition from other brands), but certainly not the "sales flop" you are trying to make it out to be
Old 05-15-13, 02:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Lexus ES price has increased as well, and its now competing against Lexus own cheaper models (CT, HS, IS) as well as all the new models from Buicks and Haiyondies of the world, that according to some formers on here were supposed to kill the ES - did it drop in sales?

Quick Reply: Acura ILX