Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 12:57 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

These aren't really upgrades. They essentially eliminated the base model and cheapened the premium model and made that standard. Not defending the ILX because I agree with others here that it is pretty awful...
Old 05-14-13, 01:11 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My big gripe about the ILX is why in the hell would I buy one when I can get a V6 Accord, with more power, more room, more refinement, better ride, and all the same tech for about the same $$$$$. It makes no sense to buy this overpriced Civic.
Old 05-14-13, 06:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
My big gripe about the ILX is why in the hell would I buy one when I can get a V6 Accord, with more power, more room, more refinement, better ride, and all the same tech for about the same $$$$$. It makes no sense to buy this overpriced Civic.
Well same question could be asked when it comes to CT200h, why would you get it when you can get Auris Hybrid or Camry but that is not the point. Point is that these cars are supposed to be your initiation to luxury club so its all about the badge. Only difference is that Lexus has a badge weight while executives in Acura are clueless by thinking that their badge has some meaning at all. It would not surprise me that just nameplate Legend has more to it than the Acura name and I wont even discuss the NSX which a brand for itself.

The biggest problem ILX has is not that it is a dressed up Civic, that is actually a good thing because Civic is a good car, but it's problem is that it is not properly dressed up Civic. Its should have been a hatch but instead its a small sedan. That just doesn't fly in a luxury segment and there is a reason why BMW 1, MB B are not sedans but hatches instead. If you ever got a chance to see MB CLA on the road you would be surprised how big that car actually is, it's as big as C.
Which brings me to CT200h comparison, CT200h has some flavor both outside and inside to be considered premium and ILX does not. ILX has more technology inside and its better equipped inside but days that those things will get you luxury pass are long gone but execs at Acura do not recognize that or .. Or they simply cannot do nothing about it because of the big boys in Japan hq.
Old 05-14-13, 09:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well same question could be asked when it comes to CT200h, why would you get it when you can get Auris Hybrid or Camry but that is not the point. Point is that these cars are supposed to be your initiation to luxury club so its all about the badge. Only difference is that Lexus has a badge weight while executives in Acura are clueless by thinking that their badge has some meaning at all. It would not surprise me that just nameplate Legend has more to it than the Acura name and I wont even discuss the NSX which a brand for itself.

The biggest problem ILX has is not that it is a dressed up Civic, that is actually a good thing because Civic is a good car, but it's problem is that it is not properly dressed up Civic. Its should have been a hatch but instead its a small sedan. That just doesn't fly in a luxury segment and there is a reason why BMW 1, MB B are not sedans but hatches instead. If you ever got a chance to see MB CLA on the road you would be surprised how big that car actually is, it's as big as C.
Which brings me to CT200h comparison, CT200h has some flavor both outside and inside to be considered premium and ILX does not. ILX has more technology inside and its better equipped inside but days that those things will get you luxury pass are long gone but execs at Acura do not recognize that or .. Or they simply cannot do nothing about it because of the big boys in Japan hq.
Don't forget to mention the CT has met and exceeded sales goals. Until the CT a luxury hatch was an automatic fail in the USA. It has been a smash hit for Lexus. At the time it offered 40MPG and no other Toyota/Lexus product did. The dash is quite luxurious. You can switch wood trims. It has worlds first bamboo speakers and eco-grade plastic trim. It debuted Nu-Luxe seats. It also offers over 80 LED lights including a full LED headlight option. The drivers select mode is something the CT also offers.

Then we have the CT F-sport. Lexus seems to have figured out the CT on its first try which again is pretty amazing since small luxury hatches sold in America usually flop.

There is simply no reason to buy an Acura ILX over a Honda Accord. That is a huge problem that continues to plague Acura.

Old 05-14-13, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It's their reliability and build quality that keeps them thriving.
Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. People buy them, despite parrot-beak grilles and odd styling, because they want cars that don't break. But build quality is not everything.....the ILX and ZDX still sit unsold on lots, despite their excellent build-quality. With the ILX, part of that is a simple lack of refinement....which I'll address below.

Now having said that, they have dropped the ball on both the ILX & RLX and it is painfully obvious. IMO, they need to be as proactive with the RLX in making quick changes as they were with the Civic & ILX. Will it help sales? probably not by much. First impressions are everything. The smartest thing they can do at this point is NOT drop the TSX. It will be a huge mistake if they do.
The ILX, like all Acuras, is quite well-built, but they tried to compete with the Buick Verano without doing their homework on refinement, noise-isolation, and interior plushness.....all areas where the Verano is simply knocking it out of the park.
Old 05-14-13, 11:12 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Don't forget to mention the CT has met and exceeded sales goals. Until the CT a luxury hatch was an automatic fail in the USA. It has been a smash hit for Lexus. At the time it offered 40MPG and no other Toyota/Lexus product did. The dash is quite luxurious. You can switch wood trims. It has worlds first bamboo speakers and eco-grade plastic trim. It debuted Nu-Luxe seats. It also offers over 80 LED lights including a full LED headlight option. The drivers select mode is something the CT also offers.

Then we have the CT F-sport. Lexus seems to have figured out the CT on its first try which again is pretty amazing since small luxury hatches sold in America usually flop.

There is simply no reason to buy an Acura ILX over a Honda Accord. That is a huge problem that continues to plague Acura.
CT200h is the benchmark luxury hatch period.

I just wish it had both power and cooled seats as well
Old 05-14-13, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
CT200h is the benchmark luxury hatch period.
Although the CT does have nice NuLuxe trimmings inside (better, IMO, in some ways than real leather) and a well-engineered hybrid powertrain, I don't think you can call it a benchmark luxury-hatch. It's clearly an entry-level car by luxury standards, and, despite the BMW 550 GT's low U.S.-market sales and awkward rear-end styling, it is a true luxury car inside and out, in every sense of the word. The CT, in turn, compared to a 550 GT, is a mere econobox.
Old 05-14-13, 12:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although the CT does have nice NuLuxe trimmings inside (better, IMO, in some ways than real leather) and a well-engineered hybrid powertrain, I don't think you can call it a benchmark luxury-hatch. It's clearly an entry-level car by luxury standards, and, despite the BMW 550 GT's low U.S.-market sales and awkward rear-end styling, it is a true luxury car inside and out, in every sense of the word. The CT, in turn, compared to a 550 GT, is a mere econobox.
Surely he meant in its class. Who would compare a 30-40k car to one TWICE the price???? Not to mention the 5GT has been a huge flop.

Smh

Old 05-14-13, 12:36 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha, because Lexus can't be the benchmark in anything. EVER!

(Is it telling that this topic has shifted away from the ILX? )
Old 05-14-13, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Surely he meant in its class.
Agreed. Maybe I should have clarified that....but I was simply going by the all-inclusive term "luxury", which, like "premium" amd "upmarket", covers a multitude of sizes and body-styles.

Who would compare a 30-40k car to one TWICE the price???? Not to mention the 5GT has been a huge flop.
I wasn't trying to do a direct one-on-one comparison based on price, or offend any CT owners (and, as I said in the post, I agree the 550 GT has been a sales flop in the U.S.market). I was merely pointing out that, as a luxury hatchback, I thought the GT was simply more of a benchmark. In fact, in the U.S. market, unlike in Europe, there are very few luxury-class hatchbacks/wagons, period....and one of the best ones to date, the Cadillac CTS SportWagon (a gorgeous-looking car, IMO), was dropped this year.
Old 05-14-13, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mordecai
Hahaha, because Lexus can't be the benchmark in anything. EVER!
OK, since you want to publically insult Lexus, then just what, in your view, is a benchmark......a Smart-for-Two?

(Is it telling that this topic has shifted away from the ILX? )
OK, you might have a point with this one. Back to the ILX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-14-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 08:07 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic and pointing out that you seemed horrified at the idea of Lexus being a benchmark in anything. The benchmark post was somewhat unclear, you're right, but common sense says he was talking about the CT in its class.

Anyway... back to the ILX.
Old 05-14-13, 09:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a joke to top a joke? Its like they aimed for the 1997 Infiniti G20.
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I still don't know of another corporation or company that can continually make large-scale mistakes and still survive. We are going on almost ten years of failures, blunders, and falters from Acura/Honda.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... if I created such problems for my company, I would have been fired long ago.
Honda is really an incredible case study of a company so out of touch and full of failure, a company that continues to be propped up by sheepish fans. That's the only reason the company still survives.

I've said it many times before, and will say it again, Honda needs to exit out from the automotive business and stick to motorcycles and little lawnmower engines.
Old 05-14-13, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mordecai
I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic and pointing out that you seemed horrified at the idea of Lexus being a benchmark in anything

Nothing of the sort. Just the opposite. I have a lot of respect for the Lexus brand (in fact, a lot more respect than some others on this forum). I owned an IS300 for almost 5 years......that's how I originally joined CL. I've reviewed and/or test-driven most (not all) of Lexus's products. I'm just being honest and objective, though, and giving my own opinions......I'm generally not quite as impressed with the latest generation of Lexus products as I was 10-15 years ago, in the late 1990s and early 2000's, when I thought Lexus did most of their best products.

Anyway... back to the ILX.
I reviewed an ILX last year, and felt it was well-built but lacked some refinement and noise-isolation. When the newest ILX models, with the projected improvements, hit local Acura shops, I might check one out from curiosity and see how it (now) compares with the Verano, its closest competitor (I own a Verano).
Old 05-14-13, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Honda is really an incredible case study of a company so out of touch and full of failure, a company that continues to be propped up by sheepish fans. That's the only reason the company still survives.
Why call them sheepish? I'm sure that, like most people, they work hard for their money. And if they feel that, for those hard-earned dollars, that Honda gives them the best product for their needs, then who are we to call them dumb or naive?

For example, I myself happen to have a very low opinion of the Chevy/GM Colorado/Canyon medium-sized truck...IMO, by modern truck-standards, a POS. But I have respect for those who disagree with me, feel that it is a good buy for the money, and will congratulate them on their purchases, wishing them good luck with them. That's not having a double-standard....just being polite, tolerant, and courteous.

Quick Reply: Acura ILX