Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

March 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 08:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota is going to have to pull some moves at the refresh, IMO. I actually don't mind the Camry and think it looks pretty decent, but it will need more than the standard nip and tuck to remain competitive. Good that Toyota is seeing the Fusion and Altima rise in the sales charts right now...turns up the heat!
Old 04-10-13, 01:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Maybe it's you getting older, me staying younger, or who knows what else, but I must strongly disagree with you on that one .

Having seen the new Accord, Fusion, Altima and Mazda 6 in person, I will say that IMHO NONE of them look "amazing" in comparison to a Camry. There are some luxury sedans that look amazing in comparison to a Camry yes, but none of the Camry's competitors look that amazing IMHO.

The Fusion in-person looks very awkward and ill-proportioned. They messed up terribly with the proportions on the Fusion. It looks too tall and not wide enough, almost like the car got crushed from the sides. The Altima looks like a bloated, wavy bar of soap, and frankly I'm shocked as to why it's so popular. Usually consumers shun such bloated looking sedans, or at least they have historically.

The Accord does look good overall, but the LEDs in the headlights detract from the overall look of the car as they are quite tacky. Overall though it looks quite refined, and I would put it equal to the Camry in terms of an elegant exterior.

The Mazda 6 does look quite good as well, but it's still a bit too tall and awkward-looking in person. They should have made the car lower, and made the fender flares better proportioned.

The Camry specifically in SE form looks quite good IMO. In base form it looks more generic, but a lot of the competitors in base form look generic as well.
hahah, I am getting older I'm not saying the Camry is bad, I think its fine and the hybrid tech is impressive. I don't think it ugly either. That said when I see the cars I mentioned I think they do a great job offering style for the price, this segment has really jumped in style the last 10 years.

Toyota as we know has had much success with the SE model but if I was 18 again looking for a car at this price range, the Camry would be way back. Heck I didn't mention the Optima or Sonata either.

Old 04-10-13, 06:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree with Mike.The new Fusion, Accord, Altima, 6 and they look amazing for family sedans, the Camry just looks blah in comparison and I owned a '07 Camry XLE and '11 Camry hybrid.
The new Camry is so ugly,a lot of cost cutting,rides harsher and the interior noise is high compared to the last generation.
Is there a Toyota/Lexus vehicle you actually don't like?
Disagree, but to each their own. The current Camry improved quality in many ways over the previous generation. Yes it does have some flaws compared to the previous generation, but also many improvements.

Yes, I don't like the current Matrix, never did. I much prefer the styling of the 1st-gen Matrix. I also don't like the styling of the current Sequoia. That and the 2014 Tundra refresh I feel mixed about. I like that they made the styling more athletic and rugged, but I absolutely hate the front grille on the 2014 Tundra, it's way too big in comparison to the headlights. Also the current Corolla, while I respect the car, I never really liked the styling of it much. I never hated it, but the styling is very average for me.

I haven't genuinely liked the styling of any Corolla since the 90s.
Old 04-10-13, 06:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Disagree, but to each their own. The current Camry improved quality in many ways over the previous generation. Yes it does have some flaws compared to the previous generation, but also many improvements.

Yes, I don't like the current Matrix, never did. I much prefer the styling of the 1st-gen Matrix. I also don't like the styling of the current Sequoia. That and the 2014 Tundra refresh I feel mixed about. I like that they made the styling more athletic and rugged, but I absolutely hate the front grille on the 2014 Tundra, it's way too big in comparison to the headlights. Also the current Corolla, while I respect the car, I never really liked the styling of it much. I never hated it, but the styling is very average for me.

I haven't genuinely liked the styling of any Corolla since the 90s.
Ok TRD,for awhile now I didn't think there was a Toyota product you didn't like.I was wrong.
I may be wrong again but it seems you reply to threads where you feel Toyota needs to be defended, Not so much for just general non-Toyota car talk.
Old 04-10-13, 06:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ok TRD,for awhile now I didn't think there was a Toyota product you didn't like.I was wrong.
I may be wrong again but it seems you reply to threads where you feel Toyota needs to be defended, Not so much for just general non-Toyota car talk.

If you take a look around, you can see that I reply to a lot of non-Toyota threads.

Given this is a Lexus forum though, and seeing as I'm a Toyota/Lexus fan, it's only common sense that I would be replying mostly to Toyota/Lexus threads.

Why else would there be a point in being part of ClubLexus if I wasn't a Lexus/Toyota fan ?
Old 04-10-13, 07:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you take a look around, you can see that I reply to a lot of non-Toyota threads.

Given this is a Lexus forum though, and seeing as I'm a Toyota/Lexus fan, it's only common sense that I would be replying mostly to Toyota/Lexus threads.

Why else would there be a point in being part of ClubLexus if I wasn't a Lexus/Toyota fan ?
Ok,I do notice you do knock other brands when anything is compared to a Toyota product.I'm a Toyota/Lexus fan too.I have owned many of both.
I guess you're a bigger fan.
Old 04-11-13, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

was on the highway behind a new camry. saw the standard flapping lower sides of the rear bumper... and pointed this out to someone else in the car. they were shocked a manufacturer would get away with that.
Old 04-22-13, 09:24 AM
Oliveoil
Driver School Candidate

I think Lexus are not so worried about BMW's sales as Toyota and BMW are in a long term partnership now. Besides which BMW make some gorgeous cars that deserve good sales. Its BMW and Audi Lexus need to shrug off