Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Post Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy

http://www.leftlanenews.com/in-pictu...rnal&=obinsite

Fact: There are almost no genuinely bad new cars on the market today in the United States. But there are some that clearly don't perform up to the standards we've come to expect in the increasingly competitive new car market.
That said, there are some pretty miserable new cars available for delivery in other markets across the globe, but high buyer expectations and a tightly regulated safety market have done their best to weed out the “crap cars” once easy enough to find in new car dealers.
With this in mind, the editors of Leftlane put our heads together to compile a list of 10 lousy new cars, none of which we can wholeheartedly recommend. Collectively, we put hundreds of thousands of miles on brand new cars in the interest of delivering unbiased reviews, so we like to think that our credentials are up to par.
We looked only at regular series production cars available for the 2012 or 2013 model year produced by mainstream automakers in the U.S.. To qualify for our list, a lousy car needs to be available in dealerships everywhere – or at least in larger cities – and it probably goes without saying that the car needs to be both pretty lousy in absolute terms and genuinely dreadful against its direct competitive set. To help you in your shopping quest, we've also listed an excellent alternative vehicle that you should look at instead.
In no particular order...

The 10 Worst New Cars
Mitsubishi Outlander. Crossovers – SUV-like vehicles riding on comfort-oriented passenger car chassis – are all the rage, and Mitsubishi was actually one of the first to get in on the game. Unfortunately, time has passed the dowdy Outlander by, which leaves it feeling much older than its circa-2007 design might suggest. A new Outlander set to arrive for the 2014 model year can't come soon enough. We hope it shares little other than its name with the current model.
Instead consider... The Toyota Highlander.

Chrysler 200 Convertible. Chrysler refreshed and renamed its Sebring convertible a few years ago, and while the improvements made a difference, they didn't go far enough. Mushy handling, odd interior proportions and powertrains that either under or overwhelm the chassis make this droptop feel really outclassed. It's time for Chrysler to start over completely, hopefully channeling some of the qualities that make the Dodge Charger and Jeep Grand Cherokee such appealing vehicles.
Instead consider... The Ford Mustang Convertible.

Acura ILX. Here's an example of a car that isn't terrible in absolute terms yet comes up awfully short against its rivals. Based on the Honda Civic, the ILX feels exactly like what it is: A Civic with sound deadening and a nicer interior But with a refreshed 2013 Civic just now hitting the road, the gap between the two has shrunk, eroding what little value the underpowered ILX offered. On top of it all, the ILX is only slightly cheaper than the much more upscale TSX, which makes it no surprise that Acura isn't meeting its sales expectations.
Instead consider... The Buick Verano.

Jeep Compass. Jeep did the near-impossible when it unveiled the refreshed 2011 Compass: It made ugly even uglier. If the Compass was a decent car underneath, we might forgive its awkward looks, but there's no disguising a weak, thirsty engine and a dreadful continuously variable transmission. At least its Jeep Patriot sister is cheap and rather good looking, two accolades we can't bestow on the Compass.
Instead consider... The Mazda CX-5.

Toyota Corolla. The poster child of mediocrity, the Corolla embodies so much of what auto scribes and enthusiasts alike lament about mass market vehicles. Mushy to drive, bland to look at and not even particularly fuel efficient, Corolla is the automotive equivalent of eating every meal at Shoney's when affordable farm-to-table restaurants are popping up all over the place. Come on, America: You can do better.
Instead consider... The Chevrolet Cruze.

Lincoln Navigator. Our eyes! People buy these? We wonder that every time we see a Navigator. The big luxury 'ute that was once a rapper's go-to vehicle has become increasingly irrelevant, not to mention hardly worthy of its sky-high price tag. Truth be told, the stronger-selling Cadillac Escalade is not a huge improvement, but at least the crested wreath brand's rival is faster and a bit more tasteful in terms of its gaudiness.
Instead consider... The Infiniti QX56.

Smart ForTwo. What's cool in Europe doesn't always work so well on this side of the pond. A balky transmission and a wheezy engine make the innovative ForTwo a dreadful companion even on the urban streets it was designed to inhabit. Since nose-in parking is generally illegal here, the ForTwo's biggest urban advantage has been ruled irrelevant. At least Scion's copycat iQ rides and drives pretty well.
Instead consider... The Scion iQ.

Volkswagen Jetta S. Spend your way up the Jetta options chart and you'll find an excellent turbodiesel in the TDI and a sporty GLI, but the base S model offers few assets aside from a low price and a big back seat. Cheaply finished inside, its worst attribute by far is an antiquated 2.0-liter four-cylinder gas engine that has the gall to be both slow and not particularly fuel efficient. Rivals offer so much more desirability for about the same price, but that's not stopping VW from selling Jettas left and right.
Instead consider... The Ford Focus.

Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon. Compact pickup shoppers have fewer and fewer choices every day, it seems. We urge you, the buying public, to bypass your General Motors showroom's Chevrolet and GMC twins, which combine lousy five-cylinder engines with cramped, low-buck cabins and iffy ride and handling qualities. With trucks like these sitting on dealer lots, it's no wonder that buyers have abandoned this segment en masse. Neither officially returns for 2013, but you can well bet that there are plenty of leftovers sitting around.
Instead consider... The Toyota Tacoma.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Looking like the kind of golf cart retirees in Florida use to whizz through their gated communities, the i-MiEV is grossly outclassed. Not only does its ultra-short range limit it to staying within shouting distance of an electrical outlet, its cramped, cheap interior and goofy styling do it no favors. The i-MiEV is the worst new car we've ever tested.
Instead consider... The Honda Fit EV.

Read more at http://www.leftlanenews.com/in-pictu...BERTwtzSy4A.99

Old 04-06-13, 08:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations to Chrysler and Mitsubishi for making the list twice.
Old 04-06-13, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Agreeable list. Although I think the base Jetta is a decent ride.
Old 04-07-13, 12:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

New Navigator will be out soon. Looking forward to it
Old 04-07-13, 05:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I can't seem to wrap my head around how the Toyota Corolla can be one of the worst vehicles you can buy, when it is also one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy.
Old 04-07-13, 06:15 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Congratulations to Chrysler and Mitsubishi for making the list twice.
With the exception of the i-miev, at least all of this vehicles have replacements coming soon. And I'm not sure how he thinks the compass got uglier, the new front end looks tons better. Also, the CVT got ditched this year.
Old 04-07-13, 06:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I can't seem to wrap my head around how the Toyota Corolla can be one of the worst vehicles you can buy, when it is also one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy.
the fact that they tried to even mention "enthusiast" in the same paragraph shot down this articles credibility. 30 mpg for a decent sized car is "not particularly fuel efficient"?
Old 04-07-13, 01:58 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Exactly what I thought
Old 04-07-13, 02:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Corolla is one of the top 5 best selling vehicles in the country and the world yet they consider it one of the worst vehicles you can buy.

Just because it doesn't meet the criteria of a typical auto journalist who only cares for excitement behind the wheel, doesn't mean it's a bad purchase. It does great in many of the areas real people favor. Reliability being chief among them. When it comes to our real world money, we want a car that won't be in the shop all the time. How hard is that to understand?
Old 04-07-13, 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

also Toyota Corolla gets one of the best real world mpg's according to FuelEconomy.gov
Old 04-07-13, 04:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder why Ford has chosen to keep using the very dated and somewhat anemic 5.4 when they have released a much better and more modern 6.2 engine with more power. They put all this effort into a new engine, and then limit it to only the F-Series. They should be popping it into the E-Series, Expedition, and Navigator.
Old 04-07-13, 05:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The Corolla cant be that bad since it has sold more copies than any other car in automotive history. Yes, the new ones are mundane but what do you expect from a car that seems as common as a belly button.
Old 04-07-13, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Having either test-driven, reviewed, or static-sampled all of these vehicles except the i-MiEV Mitsubishi electric (which Consumer Reports, ironically, has a low opinion of), I'll add my own two cents (for what little it's worth):

Mitsubishi Outlander. Crossovers – SUV-like vehicles riding on comfort-oriented passenger car chassis – are all the rage, and Mitsubishi was actually one of the first to get in on the game. Unfortunately, time has passed the dowdy Outlander by, which leaves it feeling much older than its circa-2007 design might suggest. A new Outlander set to arrive for the 2014 model year can't come soon enough. We hope it shares little other than its name with the current model.

Instead consider... The Toyota Highlander.
Agreed that it is generally not as nice to drive as some of its competitors, but I'm not sure I'd put it on the 10-Worst-List. And the comparison to the Highlander is incorrect (that was more the case with the larger, now-discontinued Mitsubishi Endeavor). The Outlander, IMO, competes more directly with the Toyota RAV-4.

Chrysler 200 Convertible. Chrysler refreshed and renamed its Sebring convertible a few years ago, and while the improvements made a difference, they didn't go far enough. Mushy handling, odd interior proportions and powertrains that either under or overwhelm the chassis make this droptop feel really outclassed. It's time for Chrysler to start over completely, hopefully channeling some of the qualities that make the Dodge Charger and Jeep Grand Cherokee such appealing vehicles.

Instead consider... The Ford Mustang Convertible.
Somewhat like the Outlander....not the best-driving mid-sized car for road-manners or driving-dynamics, but, again, I probably wouldn't put it on the 10-Worst-List. And it does have some good features, such as a reasonable price, and something you don't often find in ragtops.....a fairly usable rear seat by convertible standards, as long as you don't try and carry NBA guys back there.

I also don't agree with the comparison to the Mustang convertible. The Mustang, unlike the FWD family-sedan-based Chrysler 200, is a RWD pony-car.

Acura ILX. Here's an example of a car that isn't terrible in absolute terms yet comes up awfully short against its rivals. Based on the Honda Civic, the ILX feels exactly like what it is: A Civic with sound deadening and a nicer interior But with a refreshed 2013 Civic just now hitting the road, the gap between the two has shrunk, eroding what little value the underpowered ILX offered. On top of it all, the ILX is only slightly cheaper than the much more upscale TSX, which makes it no surprise that Acura isn't meeting its sales expectations.

Instead consider... The Buick Verano.
IMO, ithe ILX is actually separated a little more from the cheaply-designed 2012 Civic than this description would have you to believe, though I agree that the level of ride comfort and noise-isolation is disappointing. And I agree wth the author that the TSX is probably a better buy.

I also agree with the Verano comparison, price and class-wise. But the Verano, IMO, has a better interior, more refinement, and is substantially more pleasant to drive. It convinced me to part with my own automotive dollars, which is something that is difficult for many new vehicles to do nowadays.

Jeep Compass. Jeep did the near-impossible when it unveiled the refreshed 2011 Compass: It made ugly even uglier. If the Compass was a decent car underneath, we might forgive its awkward looks, but there's no disguising a weak, thirsty engine and a dreadful continuously variable transmission. At least its Jeep Patriot sister is cheap and rather good looking, two accolades we can't bestow on the Compass.
Instead consider... The Mazda CX-5.
Agreed. This vehicle, despite some recent interior and overall fit/finish improvements on the 2Gen model, does belong on the 10-Worst List. To put the hallowed Jeep nameplate on a FWD, Non-Trail-Rated, unibody compact-sedan frame to do little else but grocery-shop at the mall is, IMO, an abomination. And to compare it to the excellent Mazda CX-5 is another abomination.

Toyota Corolla. The poster child of mediocrity, the Corolla embodies so much of what auto scribes and enthusiasts alike lament about mass market vehicles. Mushy to drive, bland to look at and not even particularly fuel efficient, Corolla is the automotive equivalent of eating every meal at Shoney's when affordable farm-to-table restaurants are popping up all over the place. Come on, America: You can do better.
Instead consider... The Chevrolet Cruze.
The Corolla may be dated and bland like fast-food hamburgers and fries, but look at how popular fast-food actually is. The Corolla is not only super-reliable and will last forever wth proper care, but, despite the ancient but smooth 4-speed automatic, offers relative comfort/refinement by small-car standards, and is, even today, exactly what a lot of car buyers want. The six-figure sales numbers each year prove it.

Lincoln Navigator. Our eyes! People buy these? We wonder that every time we see a Navigator. The big luxury 'ute that was once a rapper's go-to vehicle has become increasingly irrelevant, not to mention hardly worthy of its sky-high price tag. Truth be told, the stronger-selling Cadillac Escalade is not a huge improvement, but at least the crested wreath brand's rival is faster and a bit more tasteful in terms of its gaudiness.
Instead consider... The Infiniti QX56.
Both the Navigator and Escalade, though, are classic bling-mobiles, and you would be surprised at how well they (still) sell here in the high-income mass-suburbia of the D.C. region where I live. But, we all know that they are bulky, hard to park, thirsty, and drive like..........(what else)?....trucks.

As noted, the QX56, once known for unreliability and poor quality-control, has improved enormously in the last couple of years, and is indeed now a credible competitor.

Smart ForTwo. What's cool in Europe doesn't always work so well on this side of the pond. A balky transmission and a wheezy engine make the innovative ForTwo a dreadful companion even on the urban streets it was designed to inhabit. Since nose-in parking is generally illegal here, the ForTwo's biggest urban advantage has been ruled irrelevant. At least Scion's copycat iQ rides and drives pretty well.
Instead consider... The Scion iQ.
Definitely belongs on the 10-Worst-List........probably #1. Unless you use it primarily to park and manuver in and out of urban motorcycle-spaces, the Smart is clearly inadquate for American roads. Its driving manners, transmission-shift bucking (on the gas-version) and center-of gravity handling are ridiculous. Crash-protection, even with its Mercedes-designed safety-frame, would probably be a crap-shoot at best. And, to add insult to injury, many versions require premium gas. The warranty on early, Penske-imported versions was only 2/24, even on the drivetrain.

The iQ, I agree is somewhat of an improvemt, but also, IMO, for American roads, belongs on the 10-Worst-List.

Volkswagen Jetta S. Spend your way up the Jetta options chart and you'll find an excellent turbodiesel in the TDI and a sporty GLI, but the base S model offers few assets aside from a low price and a big back seat. Cheaply finished inside, its worst attribute by far is an antiquated 2.0-liter four-cylinder gas engine that has the gall to be both slow and not particularly fuel efficient. Rivals offer so much more desirability for about the same price, but that's not stopping VW from selling Jettas left and right.
Instead consider... The Ford Focus.
I agree that the S model is not the equal of higher-line Jettas, but, like the Corolla, a lot of car-buyers are still scooping them up. It seems to be what many people are looking for.

Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon. Compact pickup shoppers have fewer and fewer choices every day, it seems. We urge you, the buying public, to bypass your General Motors showroom's Chevrolet and GMC twins, which combine lousy five-cylinder engines with cramped, low-buck cabins and iffy ride and handling qualities. With trucks like these sitting on dealer lots, it's no wonder that buyers have abandoned this segment en masse. Neither officially returns for 2013, but you can well bet that there are plenty of leftovers sitting around.
Instead consider... The Toyota Tacoma.
Well-deserved on the 10-Worst-List. The Colorado/Canyon, for a number of reasons (I don't have time to list them all here) were a POS from Day One. Even back then, much less today, most competing trucks were better-done. The Tacoma's generally cheap interior is not a huge improvement over the Colorado's, but, as a whole truck, is far more solidly-built.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Looking like the kind of golf cart retirees in Florida use to whizz through their gated communities, the i-MiEV is grossly outclassed. Not only does its ultra-short range limit it to staying within shouting distance of an electrical outlet, its cramped, cheap interior and goofy styling do it no favors. The i-MiEV is the worst new car we've ever tested.
Instead consider... The Honda Fit EV.
Can't personally comment on the i-MiEV (I haven't seen it first-hand), though few, if any, reviewers have had much of anything positive to say about it. I was hoping to see one at the D.C. show in February, but Mitsubishi pulled out of that show several years ago and hasn't returned. Their closest dealerships to me , though not huge distance away, are still a fair drive....and the electrics aren't typically kept in stock, but special-ordered

I know some people will disagree with me on this, but I also think the Chevy Volt is a questionable purchase for one's money. It has been mechanically reliable, but, IMO, is clearly overpriced even with tax-credits, over-hyped by the MSM, and is poorly-designed inside with awful dash/console ergonomics.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-13 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard
There are cars on the road so ugly that only the mother can love. It looks like they were made hideous deliberately just to stand out and be noticed. The square boxes, the sloping roofs at the nature-defying angles, and these goofy aluminum ornaments on the Acuras are just too painful to look at. BTW, my prediction is that the new Lexus grille will not last very long.
I agree on the Lexus spindle-grilles, which I see as just another gimmick like the grilles on Audis, Acuras, and (admittedly) even some Buicks.

But the square shoebox styling, especially on vehicles like the Kia Soul, Scion xB, and Nissan Cube, though messing up aerodynamics and making the car unstable in crosswinds, does have some good points, too. It adds to interior volume, space-efficiency, and room for both passengers and luggage.

In my opinion, if the design is based on laws of physics and function, it's always pretty. The best example are the military fighter jets where everything, without exception, is a result of physics and function and they are awesome. Same with the Indy 500 cars.
Military aircraft, though, are not built for comfort...they are purpose-designed for military functions, from training to cargo-hauling to bombing to air-to-air combat. Nor are their pilots and crew given much choice about them...they primarily man and fly them under daily orders. Not so with cars designed for public sale......no one is forced to buy or drive them, and they have to appeal to what people want.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 08:44 PM
LexFather

I seriously get good laughs here and it makes for great convo at car meets

Quick Reply: Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy