Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Entry level lux car: IS250 still viable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 07:34 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entry level lux car: IS250 still viable?

My sister in law is looking to replace a 14 year old accord. She always liked my IS250 AWD back when I had it. Lexus Canada is giving them away now with a 3000$ cash incentive, on top of any negotiated dealer discount. She likes the price, the styling and the long list of standard equipment.

Is a 250 still worth it today? It's at the end of it's life cycle. The infotainment is a decade old (does it even have a USB port?). It's seriously down on power compared to the American and German competition, though she could care less about acceleration.

I've been trying steer her towards a CT200h, which is more in line with her needs, but she doesn't like hatches.

She test drove the A4, but was put off by it's size, and the low content at base trim levels. The c300 is on her list too, but MB also rapes you on options. She refuses to try the S60 or ATS.

Opinions?

PS: did they fix the carbon issue in the 2013s?
Old 03-22-13, 08:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This should probably be in the IS forum. I think for many the IS250 is still a perfect car to fill their needs. Smooth V6, no turbo lag. And as a Lexus, very reliable, good materials, etc. They have USB and Bluetooth for music connectivity.

As long as she doesn't mind that it'll be replaced in the market within 4 months I would think it's fine.
Old 03-22-13, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If she likes the IS250AWD and can afford one, then, by all means, my advice is to go for it. The AWD will come in handy in those Montreal winters, and it comes with standard all-season tires. The car's only real problem, and something common to all IS models, is the overly-tight rear seat, but if you don't often carry large adults in back, that's not a major issue. The car's reliability and build-quality speak for themselves. True, the relatively small 2.5L V6, with the weight/drag of AWD, is no powerhouse, but that should be no problem if driven sensibly....you already have stated she is sensible and not an aggressive driver.

In my area (D.C. suburbs), the IS250AWD is enormously popular, and, to my eye at least, seems to outsell all of the other IS models here. When I bought my Buick Verano last year, an IS250AWD was on my own Top Five list of consideration.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's at the end of it's product cycle which means it is the best of the breed. All the earlier kinks and TSBs are been ruled out of the equation essentially
Old 03-22-13, 11:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've test driven the 2nd generation IS300 with 3GR-FE engine (no direct injection).

Yup exactly the same MMC facelift version (with LED integrated turn signal mirror indicators and LED tail lights and stuff)

Anyways:

It felt very lively and aggressive for what it is worth.......and reaching 110 km/h (or 65 in mph) inside a a city street was a breeze with ECT mode set to SPORT

Granted, the IS300 has slightly more torque and horsepower than what your IS250 gets (using a 4GR-FSE engine).

Still, I don't think it's that far off and it should still be enjoyable for the kind of driving that you do.

Heck, I even prefer the front headlamp design of the 2IS over the new 3IS.

So imho, no reason to hesitate. Get a Lexus IS (2nd generation) =)

Just my opinion =)
Old 03-22-13, 12:03 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
This should probably be in the IS forum. I think for many the IS250 is still a perfect car to fill their needs.
I've spent 5 years in the IS250 forum. I was looking for a broader competitive appraisal in the market.

FWIW, I would get the ATS 2.0 if I wanted sport, and the S60 T5 FWD if I wanted comfort.
Old 03-22-13, 12:17 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with all the issues the 2.5L motor is getting, I would jump straight to an IS350... 2011 IS350s are ~$35K and wtih the third gen coming out, it's going to further drop in price
Old 03-22-13, 01:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

OP, I think you already have all you need to know. You've already listed out all the pros and cons and you nailed all of them. Beyond that, it's simply your (and your sis in law's) call on whether you feel it's worth it or not. Some people don't mind buying a closeout model, others do. Some people go for something based on sale price, others do not. Again, it's up to where you lay your priorities.
Old 03-22-13, 08:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

considering how ugly the new IS is, I'd get the old is250 if I wanted a small car with no backseat space and a huge discount.
Old 03-22-13, 08:17 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think the IS would be a great purchase. It's a very nice looking car and my favorite of the smaller entry level luxury sedans. AWD is a bonus on top of the good looks.

The new ATS 2.0 is a good choice too.
Old 03-22-13, 08:21 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Just "test" drove it today. Forgot how old the tech was. Ipod integration sucks, center stack still has the 80s VCR LCD display. Need to get navigation to get most of the decent functions. My wife's chevy cruze has a better infotainment system.

Honestly, for my money I would get a Verano. Next week we try the Benz c300.
Old 03-23-13, 12:37 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

A co-worker has an IS250 which had the carbon deposit issue and had to get the engine rebuilt, but I think Lexus ended up picking up most if not all of the tab despite the fact that it was out of warranty. Yeah I'd go with an IS350 (dual injection, both port and direct) just to avoid that too. The 250 in the US is direct injection only.
Old 03-23-13, 08:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
A co-worker has an IS250 which had the carbon deposit issue and had to get the engine rebuilt, but I think Lexus ended up picking up most if not all of the tab despite the fact that it was out of warranty. Yeah I'd go with an IS350 (dual injection, both port and direct) just to avoid that too. The 250 in the US is direct injection only.
Yup correct.
For the 2IS, this was the following breakdown description:

IS350 -> 2GR-FSE = direct injection + port injection
IS250 -> 4GS-FSE = direct injection ONLY (no port injection)

and of course:

IS300 -> 3GR-FE = Electronic Fuel Injection (i.e. NO DIRECT INJECTION here)
Old 03-23-13, 08:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
My sister in law is looking to replace a 14 year old accord. She always liked my IS250 AWD back when I had it. Lexus Canada is giving them away now with a 3000$ cash incentive, on top of any negotiated dealer discount. She likes the price, the styling and the long list of standard equipment.

Is a 250 still worth it today? It's at the end of it's life cycle. The infotainment is a decade old (does it even have a USB port?). It's seriously down on power compared to the American and German competition, though she could care less about acceleration.

I've been trying steer her towards a CT200h, which is more in line with her needs, but she doesn't like hatches.

She test drove the A4, but was put off by it's size, and the low content at base trim levels. The c300 is on her list too, but MB also rapes you on options. She refuses to try the S60 or ATS.

Opinions?

PS: did they fix the carbon issue in the 2013s?
She's driving a 14 year old Accord--a Hyundai Elantra is an upgrade. But--it's up to her personal preference. It would seem to me that she doesn't really care so much about USB ports, or the latest tech, based solely on what she's driving now. But--it's really up to her.

I can't imagine the A4 is any smaller than the '13 IS250.
Old 03-23-13, 08:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I had this done in November on my '07. Warranty covered it all (about $5500 worth). But I don't think the CSP applies to the '13 model.

Quick Reply: Entry level lux car: IS250 still viable?