Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you miss the "old" Lexus ways?
No, sport all the way!
35.09%
Yes, refinement is still king
17.54%
Not sure, I like 'em 50/50
47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Your thoughts on Lexus's new direction?

Old 03-31-13, 11:23 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i am not mistaken, the first IS was talked about not being up to par for a sport sedan. Then the IS F came. Then it was criticized for being too harsh. When it was numbed a bit, people complained it was numbed too much.

Maybe there is no middle ground for Lexus. Lol, jokes of course.
Old 03-31-13, 11:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
If i am not mistaken, the first IS was talked about not being up to par for a sport sedan. Then the IS F came. Then it was criticized for being too harsh. When it was numbed a bit, people complained it was numbed too much.

Maybe there is no middle ground for Lexus. Lol, jokes of course.
I'm starting to wonder these days if this is true for most makes that don't have a pointed tri-star, prancing horse, raging bull, ferocious feline or any badge from the European continent
Old 04-01-13, 01:08 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Actually, the first generation IS was judged to be the equal or superior to the then BMW 3 series in terms of handling and steering.

It was the second generation IS that became softer and less direct in steering and chassis response.

Talking about a palatable middle ground, IMO, the GS450h with adaptive suspension is the most complete sedan at the moment in terms of mixing luxury with sport.
Old 04-01-13, 09:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Motortrend recently posted this in regards to the new CTS:

So no mention of the Germans anywhere. The irony is, even with the GS F-Sport beating out the Germans, and the new CTS also being something to watch out for, suddenly the GS will be too sporty . Just watch, no one without a German badge will get a pass. Even when the Americans and Asians do it right, the Euro's still win, go figure . Hate the masses hah
Wow its great to see the GS get that kind of praise. Now if only trolls could read

Originally Posted by natnut
Actually, the first generation IS was judged to be the equal or superior to the then BMW 3 series in terms of handling and steering.

It was the second generation IS that became softer and less direct in steering and chassis response.

Talking about a palatable middle ground, IMO, the GS450h with adaptive suspension is the most complete sedan at the moment in terms of mixing luxury with sport.
This is true, the first gen IS won a comparo in C&D for being the sportiest and most fun. The 2nd gen became a true Lexus inside but did become larger and less precise but still good, just not better than the 3 series.

Old 04-01-13, 11:00 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hoovey
most makes that don't have a pointed tri-star, prancing horse, raging bull, ferocious feline or any badge from the European continent
Was it really so hard to describe the pseudo-Olympic rings, and propeller blades? Lol.
Originally Posted by blueprint
This is true, the first gen IS won a comparo in C&D for being the sportiest and most fun. The 2nd gen became a true Lexus inside but did become larger and less precise but still good, just not better than the 3 series.
Ya i thought i remembered wrong on the IS timeline. Wasn't too sure.
Old 04-01-13, 11:14 AM
bashli61
Driver School Candidate

i'm having stupid issue like radiator, heat coil, thermostat. now i'm thinking this was a very bad decision on my part,,,no pun intended !!!!
Old 04-01-13, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Not really. The 2Gen IS lost the no-cost, softer-riding/handling 16" wheel/55-series all-season tire option that the 1Gen model had (17" wheels and 45-series summer-tires were standard). I owned a 1Gen model with that option. With the 2Gen model, you were stuck with the larger wheels and 45-series, with no way out short of an aftermarket refit.
Old 04-01-13, 11:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. The 2Gen IS lost the no-cost, softer-riding/handling 16" wheel/55-series all-season tire option that the 1Gen model had (17" wheels and 45-series summer-tires were standard). I owned a 1Gen model with that option. With the 2Gen model, you were stuck with the larger wheels and 45-series, with no way out short of an aftermarket refit.
What? The 2IS wasn't as direct to drive as the 1IS. The IS 300 was a sportier drive.

Old 04-01-13, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
What? The 2IS wasn't as direct to drive as the 1IS. The IS 300 was a sportier drive.
The point I was making is that response on the 1IS (which I owned) depended, to some extent, on tires. That was not the case with the 2IS, which lost the softer-tire option.

One thing I did notice on the 1IS, IMO, was more-solid parts inside the cabon. The 2IS did become more plush and Lexus-like inside, but that added plushness was also accompanied by a lot more plastic parts and the elimination of nice features like the chronograph-gauges and polished-metal-ball shifter (which I really liked).
Old 04-01-13, 12:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Motortrend recently posted this in regards to the new CTS:

So no mention of the Germans anywhere. The irony is, even with the GS F-Sport beating out the Germans, and the new CTS also being something to watch out for, suddenly the GS will be too sporty . Just watch, no one without a German badge will get a pass. Even when the Americans and Asians do it right, the Euro's still win, go figure . Hate the masses hah
i was reading german magazine other day and it was GS450h vs 535d... GS was not the F-Sport (base with base nav i think), while 535d had all possible performance options... Also GS450h managed to spend insane amount of fuel, while 535d was so efficient it seemed they have driven it in 8 gear all the time :-)

so props to american mags
Old 04-01-13, 06:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Was it really so hard to describe the pseudo-Olympic rings, and propeller blades? Lol.
Don't forget Flying B's and a Spirit of Ecstasy

Originally Posted by spwolf
i was reading german magazine other day and it was GS450h vs 535d... GS was not the F-Sport (base with base nav i think), while 535d had all possible performance options... Also GS450h managed to spend insane amount of fuel, while 535d was so efficient it seemed they have driven it in 8 gear all the time :-)

so props to american mags
Wow interesting comparo. Which magazine was this? I'd be curious to see performance and efficiency stats they came up with against both

Agreed. Feels a norm may have been broken. still a long uphill battle
Old 04-02-13, 06:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The point I was making is that response on the 1IS (which I owned) depended, to some extent, on tires. That was not the case with the 2IS, which lost the softer-tire option.

One thing I did notice on the 1IS, IMO, was more-solid parts inside the cabon. The 2IS did become more plush and Lexus-like inside, but that added plushness was also accompanied by a lot more plastic parts and the elimination of nice features like the chronograph-gauges and polished-metal-ball shifter (which I really liked).
I briefly had an IS 300 as well. Most came with the 17" Tire option.