Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw the 2014 Chevy Impala today for the first time....wow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Thumbs up Saw the 2014 Chevy Impala today for the first time....wow.

I got to check out the 2014 Chevy Impala at the D.C. Show, out on the floor and unlocked, today.......Good Golly, that car is nice. Like the new Avalon, it's a stunning improvement in fit/finish and interior refiment from the past model. And it's like the new Avalon in many ways.......about the same exterior size, general similiarity in body shape/styling, interior dash design, nice-looking trim, and excellent fit/finish. I didn't get a chance to sample-drive it there at the show like I did both the Avalon and Avalon Hybrid, but it's obvious that Chevy put some time and attention into this car.

Sure, I could pan it (and the Avalon) for some things...the low , steeply-raked Jaguar-style rear roofline that cuts into rear headroom and entry/exit (makes the car look like a Jag, though), and the optional wheel-package that seems too large (and the tires too low-profile) for a smooth ride. But, I noticed that Chevy, on the new Impala (and also on the new Malibu) must have been reading my reviews...and how I complain about the lack of the former body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection. You will now find them on the Malibu and Impala again...at least on some versions. The ones on the Malibu were body-colored, and the ones on the new Impala were solid chrome.....but, on the Impala, they are mounted a little low for best protection.
Old 02-06-13, 08:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice shade of brown on those seats. Still find the omission of AWD a mistake
Old 02-06-13, 08:51 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice improvement, but I see more 3GS in the C-pillar (minus that kink) as opposed to Jaguar
Old 02-06-13, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robloc93
Nice improvement, but I see more 3GS in the C-pillar (minus that kink) as opposed to Jaguar
Yes that's true, a number of manufacturers are using roofline designs like that...but, when I saw it, the Jag XJ was the first comparison that popped into my mind. Same with the new Avalon.
Old 02-06-13, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice shade of brown on those seats. Still find the omission of AWD a mistake
The shots really don't do it justice. You have to see the fit/finish up close and feel it to appreciate it. Same with the Avalon....though the Avalon had a couple of loose-feeling ***** for the seat-heaters and a couple of other functions.

The inevitavble question on everyone's minds, of course, is another Impala SS. I asked about that today....but, as expected, the Chevy reps were mum on that. They DID say, though, that a big RWD Chevy sedan based on GM's Australian Holden Commodore was coming in the future........(perhaps as the Caprice)?

I agree that an AWD option is nice, but the new Impala looks big and heavy enough that it would have at least reasonably good snow-traction with FWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 10:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The shots really don't do it justice. You have to see the fit/finish up close and feel it to appreciate it. Same with the Avalon....though the Avalon had a couple of loose-feeling ***** for the seat-heaters and a couple of other functions.

The inevitavble question on everyone's minds, of course, is another Impala SS. I asked about that today....but, as expected, the Chevy reps were mum on that. They DID say, though, that a big RWD Chevy sedan based on GM's Australian Holden Commodore was coming in the future........(perhaps as the Caprice)?

I agree that an AWD option is nice, but the new Impala looks big and heavy enough that it would have at least reasonably good snow-traction with FWD.
Chevy exec confirms SS production model reveal at Daytona on Feb 16

The 2014 Chevrolet SS will make its racing debut for the 2013 Daytona 500, but the production version of the car will get its official unveiling on February 16 in Daytona, a week before The Great American Race. According to a report by Automotive News, the reveal has been confirmed by Jim Campbell, Chevy's US vice president of performance and motorsports. With the departure of the Dodge Charger, the new Chevrolet racecar will be the only competitor to feature a V8, rear-wheel-drive layout in both street and NASCAR form.

NASCAR fans will be able to see the new fullsize performance-oriented sedan on display in the festivities leading up to the Daytona 500, but the car won't go on sale until later in the year. The Australian-built Chevy SS will be a low-volume performance model, and it will be priced above the 2014 Impala, which starts at $27,535.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/06/c...aytona-on-feb/
Old 02-06-13, 10:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I see more bmw in the side profile. I think its from that crease that runs from front to rear

Old 02-06-13, 11:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

When I saw it at the autoshow, I wasn't impressed with the hatchback styling, kangaroo leg fenders, and cheesy 1980's "DashMat" dash.
Old 02-06-13, 11:33 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this car is hideous aside from the grille. What's up with that body line in the back doors and that god awful steering wheel that looks like they designed two different wheels then merged them together. And then of course it looks like a bloated, fat pig of a car just like every single recent GM and Ford car. The Avalon looks so much better than this thing.
Old 02-07-13, 04:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't like this car. I really don't like the interior design either.
Old 02-07-13, 05:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw one at the NY Car Show and it did have a very nice exterior but the interior dash and console design is awful.
Old 02-07-13, 05:47 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've figured out Chevy's long-term growth strategy:

Everything Camaro.
Old 02-07-13, 06:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I've figured out Chevy's long-term growth strategy:

Everything Camaro.
wtf is so Camaro about this???

compared to the current car, this is a HUGE improvement.

Old 02-07-13, 06:32 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

most impressive in the aesthetics dept. for Chevy. Let's hope there is quality improvements as well.
Old 02-07-13, 06:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why is it that GM interiors usually has such cheap plastic looks and gaudiness?In this car,the dash pad,console,dash itself,steering wheel etc.
It's a shame because the exterior design is really nice.
I find even the higher cost GM vehicles have dash boards that are overdone cheap looking wood and plastic gaudy look.Especially Buick.

Quick Reply: Saw the 2014 Chevy Impala today for the first time....wow.