Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw the 2014 Chevy Impala today for the first time....wow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 06:38 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a black 2014 Impala at a local auto show last month. I wasn't able to get in the vehicle, unfortunately. It looks pretty nice form the outside, but it looked better in photographs. I like the front end. It looks aggressive. The rear overhang is huge. That's something you don't typically see in today's world of FWD vehicles. I'm sure that leads to a giant trunk space as it has in the old W-Body platform vehicles.
Old 02-07-13, 07:09 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to see it at SEMA last year....its a huge jump from the current model (capt. obvious here)
Old 02-07-13, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
compared to the current car, this is a HUGE improvement.

nice! back looks 4GS'y or Sonata'y

interior looked rather 'busy' but again, big step up.
Old 02-07-13, 08:11 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Rear is a rather blatant copy of the new Hyundai Azera with the sweeping arch starting ahead of the rear wheels giving haunches to the car. I am impressed with the overall design and the interior appears to be quite upscale compared to previous offerings but where Chevy really lacks is in the the long term quality department such as NVH, rattles, and depreciation.
Old 02-07-13, 08:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
There was a black 2014 Impala at a local auto show last month. I wasn't able to get in the vehicle, unfortunately. It looks pretty nice form the outside, but it looked better in photographs. I like the front end. It looks aggressive. The rear overhang is huge. That's something you don't typically see in today's world of FWD vehicles. I'm sure that leads to a giant trunk space as it has in the old W-Body platform vehicles.
The side profile and rear overhang look similar to the Caddy XTS which is on the same platform. Not its best angle IMO but a big leap for the Impala.
Old 02-07-13, 08:20 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

the SS looks promising. i always liked the pontiac G8, i hope they make the caprice a similar style car,

arent their some caprice models that are being sold for police use only?
Old 02-07-13, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
Rear is a rather blatant copy of the new Hyundai Azera with the sweeping arch starting ahead of the rear wheels giving haunches to the car. I am impressed with the overall design and the interior appears to be quite upscale compared to previous offerings but where Chevy really lacks is in the the long term quality department such as NVH, rattles, and depreciation.
Chevy's newest models, of course, haven't been out long enough to have established long-term reliability records. But, as new cars, their fit/finish (except maybe for the Spark) is impressive.
Old 02-07-13, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Why is it that GM interiors usually has such cheap plastic looks and gaudiness?In this car,the dash pad,console,dash itself,steering wheel etc.
It's a shame because the exterior design is really nice.
I find even the higher cost GM vehicles have dash boards that are overdone cheap looking wood and plastic gaudy look.Especially Buick.
Today's GM interiors, in general, run the whole gamut between excellent and awful, depending on the model. But, compare the average GM interior today with that of the 1990s and early 2000s, and I think you'll agree there is no comparison.
Old 02-07-13, 09:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Today's GM interiors, in general, run the whole gamut between excellent and awful, depending on the model. But, compare the average GM interior today with that of the 1990s and early 2000s, and I think you'll agree there is no comparison.
I do agree.
Old 02-07-13, 09:58 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
wtf is so Camaro about this???

compared to the current car, this is a HUGE improvement.

The headlights, the rake angle of the headlights as they meet the grille. The cut of the nose of the hood where it meets to grille. Even the creases in the hood somewhat.

Last big cue is the gauge cluster surrounded by huge chuncks of shiny faux-chrome plastic.

Now, I'm not complaining about the estblishment of common design themes throughout Chevy's model range, I'm noting that those design themes seem to be evolutions of the language presented first in the Camaro.
Old 02-07-13, 09:19 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good! this is a proper full size sedan clocking in at 201 inches.

it's as big as the lexus LS460.

the new malibu looks pretty beefy on the streets...Chevy knows how to make cars look big!!

Love the stuff american car co's are doing. chrysler 300, ford taurus, chevy impala and buick lacrosse.

so much better than the cookie cutter asian euro stuff right now. they sure starting to look all alike.

Last edited by Tantrix; 02-07-13 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 10:55 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

The market that is going to be cross shopping the Avalon, Impala, 300, and Lacrosse are going to have a hard time picking between very attractive/tempting models. How i do (not?) envy them .

I hope there will be a comparison soon. Will be a great read.
Old 02-08-13, 07:50 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I wonder if this new Impala fixes the problem with most Chevy sedans - being large on the outside but tight on space inside.
Old 02-08-13, 08:32 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I wonder if this new Impala fixes the problem with most Chevy sedans - being large on the outside but tight on space inside.
This is the same platform as the Cadillac XTS, so it is plenty roomy inside. The Avalon is slightly smaller, but is the main competitor along with the Taurus.
Steve
Old 02-08-13, 09:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
This is the same platform as the Cadillac XTS, so it is plenty roomy inside. The Avalon is slightly smaller, but is the main competitor along with the Taurus.
Steve
Glad to hear. I've been in the current Malibu and previous Impala and they were pretty smallish inside, especially in the back seat.

Quick Reply: Saw the 2014 Chevy Impala today for the first time....wow.