Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Corolla official pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 06:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Toyota certainly needs to catch up on this really tough small overlap test. Toyota did have enough advance warning for this Corolla as the IIHS told automakers 3-4 years ago that it would begin this new test so I'm surprised it only managed a marginal. Fortunately, it wasn't a poor rating.

I wonder how much this test affects peoples purchase decision. The Camry received a similar rating (I believe it was marginal), and continues to be the best seller. The 2014 Corolla was the #1 compact in Sept. before the test was revealed. Not sure if we'll notice much drop off going forward. Probably not.
If I remember, Avalon chief engineer said that Toyota got info from IIHS about the test few months before Avalon started production... which was too late to do anything about it. Remember that Auris started sales 10 months ago.

I think i read that first Toyota built with this test in mind will come next year, forgot what model was it.

Corolla did get excellent score in new, more demanding EuroNCAP.
Old 10-04-13, 06:12 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's any consolation the new Sentra just received a Poor in the small overlap frontal crash test. Just to show how hard the test is for many auto makers to get right even with advanced warnings.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh.../nissan/sentra
Old 10-04-13, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Yeah glad to finally see a non-Poor small overlap rating from a Toyota, a sign that things are being improved. Toyota did have to spend bigger amounts of incentives than ever before on the Camry relative to those of the competition in order to keep it at the top of the ranks, so I'd say it does have some impact in sales. Hopefully they'll crack down the secret to a Good rating before people's perception really catches on.
crash test have no impact on sales at all.

Rav4 for instance got 4* in EuroNCAP when Toyota expected 5*. and sold like crazy in next few years. Avensis and Prius were best scoring cars ever when they were introduced, and yet they sold poorly in Europe.
Old 10-05-13, 08:50 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Toyota certainly needs to catch up on this really tough small overlap test. Toyota did have enough advance warning for this Corolla as the IIHS told automakers 3-4 years ago that it would begin this new test so I'm surprised it only managed a marginal. Fortunately, it wasn't a poor rating.

I wonder how much this test affects peoples purchase decision. The Camry received a similar rating (I believe it was marginal), and continues to be the best seller. The 2014 Corolla was the #1 compact in Sept. before the test was revealed. Not sure if we'll notice much drop off going forward. Probably not.
I don't think these crash test ratings have a great impact on total sales. Unless it is front-page news (and above the fold) or it is the first story on the evening news (accompanied by a lot of blood and gore, or "end of the world!" statements), the news of these ratings will go unnoticed.

Toyota's unintended acceleration recalls from a few years ago did make it onto the front pages and did result in a lot of (unfair and untrue, IMO) "end of the world -- drive a Camry and you die!" evening newscast stories but these crash test ratings have not had such an impact.

Originally Posted by spwolf
If I remember, Avalon chief engineer said that Toyota got info from IIHS about the test few months before Avalon started production... which was too late to do anything about it. Remember that Auris started sales 10 months ago.

I think i read that first Toyota built with this test in mind will come next year, forgot what model was it.

Corolla did get excellent score in new, more demanding EuroNCAP.

Automotive News
August 26, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Toyota Motor Corp. is racing to make its cars stronger in frontal crash tests after some vehicles, including the RAV4 compact crossover, were stung by poor safety ratings.

Engineers at the Toyota Technical Center here have been reworking designs since last year, said Osamu Nagata, CEO of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc. and head of all local manufacturing and r&d.

Toyota plans midcycle vehicle changes so the cars perform better in so-called small overlap frontal crash tests, he said.

In December, the Toyota Camry and Prius V fared at the bottom of the field among mid-sized sedans tested and were rated poor, the lowest designation. In July, the RAV4 racked up another poor rating despite getting updates to improve stability and padding.

"We are now implementing some design countermeasures to improve our small overlap results," Nagata said in an interview.

Fixes will be made "as soon as possible" to the RAV4 and other vehicles, Nagata said. He did not identify other nameplates.

"Each vehicle has its own countermeasure schedule," Nagata said. "As soon as designs are ready and parts are fixed, we'll have running changes for any vehicle, not only the RAV4."

Toyota would not say which vehicle gets the next upgrade. Nagata did not give details of the changes. But fixes likely will include strengthening structural parts, he said.

"We will make sure the customer feels safe," Nagata said. "Some products are still best safety picks under the IIHS recommendations, so this is our additional challenge."

Toyota spokeswoman Cynthia Mahalak said 21 Toyota, Lexus and Scion models were named 2013 Top Safety Picks by the IIHS.

But cars performing poorly in the small overlap test can still receive top-pick status if they perform well in the IIHS's four traditional tests. To get the best rating of Top Safety Pick+, the vehicle needs a good or acceptable small overlap result.

By that measure, only the Scion tC qualifies.

IIHS began using the tests last year but telegraphed the change to carmakers in 2009, institute spokesman Russ Rader said. Some manufacturers, including Honda Motor Co. and Subaru, were quicker to incorporate design changes than others, he said.
Source: Toyota hustles to remedy low crash ratings
Old 03-03-14, 08:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about just having just one big Corolla thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...170-spied.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...od-review.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...o-corolla.html
Old 03-03-14, 08:06 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Toyota Corolla Sprinter In The Works? No Comment, But We Think So

2016 TOYOTA COROLLA SPRINTER

“We do not comment on future model plans.” That’s the pat answer manufacturers give when asked any speculative question about what might be on company drawing-boards.

It’s what Toyota always says.

Be that as it may, there is growing evidence that a Corolla Sprinter Coupe is in the pipeline. We asked Toyota insiders as much at the recent launch of the Corolla sedan in Tasmania.

The answer: “We do not comment on future model plans.”

“So a Corolla Sprinter Coupe is off the table...” we averred. The answer: “No, I did not say that.”

Read into that what you will, but here is the evidence.

Well known is that Toyota boss-of-bosses Akio Toyoda has committed Toyota to designing and building cars with "style that stirs people’s emotions".

The new 86, and latterly, the FT-1 concept, are part of this shift to more driver-focussed cars.

For inspiration, Toyota has been gazing nostalgically backwards, muttering about a “rich sports coupe heritage” dating back to the 2000GT.

And it is this gazing backwards that is responsible for not only the current 86 coupe, but also for its badge which was lifted from the last of the RWD Toyota Sprinters, the AE86 Sprinter 1600 GT.

The new 86 is a redefinition of a long-gone youthful ‘halo’ that Toyota so desperately wants to reconnect with.

And things are stirring: a source at Toyota is reported to have anointed the FT-1 as ‘the next Supra’, and, in the next breath, to have reaffirmed plans for a Toyota sports model to sit below the 86.

According to that source, it will arrive in 2017 with a hot hybrid drivetrain taking care of business.

This puts a Corolla Sprinter Coupe right in the slot.

And what will it look like? We put ace penman Theophilus Chin to the task; we think it will look like this:

Above and top: Theo Chin's take on a new Corolla Sprinter coupe.

The Sprinter badge has a history going back to the 1968 KE15 Corolla Sprinter and fired imaginations with the AE86.

While it may have since been sullied on the rumps of a succession of boring metal lumps, we think there is enough 'white noise' about to suggest plans are afoot within Toyota for a new one.

But this will be a proper Sprinter, something to take the game up to the Golf GTI and Megane RS.

To share the platform of the latest Corolla, we think it’s the logical ‘third sports model’ below the 86.

We think it’s also the most glaring gap in Toyota’s line-up in a global market that has gone nuts for small personal coupes and hot-hatches.

With the departure of the last true Sprinter, the AE86, went the aspirations of a generation of drivers who watched in dismay as Toyota pulled on a brown cardigan and hush puppies.

And, aside from brief signs of life with the MR2 and Supra, sat in them for two decades.

Thank goodness then for the new 86. And for Akio Toyoda.

As for the next Sprinter, watch this space.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/583...ut-we-think-so
Old 03-03-14, 10:10 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Akio Toyoda

Old 03-03-14, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cool looking. Make it happen!
Old 03-03-14, 11:41 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

If it looks close to the photoshop, they are going to sell a ton of these considering it wears Corolla badge.... but what's the point of getting a tC?
Old 03-03-14, 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
If it looks close to the photoshop, they are going to sell a ton of these considering it wears Corolla badge.... but what's the point of getting a tC?
effectively neuters the Scion if you ask me
Old 03-03-14, 12:48 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ +1 ... Just badge the FRS a GT86, and kill scion.
Old 03-03-14, 12:59 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^ +1 ... Just badge the FRS a GT86, and kill scion.
That's what I would do. Why keeps a failed brand? It's gonna cost them more in a long run.
Old 03-03-14, 01:01 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Not GT86, badge it Celica.
Old 03-03-14, 06:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

dont we already have Corolla Hatchback (Auris), why would they make another one, especially with that horribly done rear end.

Just do sporty looking Auris with 3 door version... or do real Coupe. not ugly hatchback.

2014 Corolla official pics!-2lm0ons.jpg
Old 03-03-14, 06:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

As is, I don't think this would sell well at all. The feminine rear clashes with the sleek front, and it's caught between the look of a hatchback and coupe in back. The U.S. does not like cars that are not easy to discern at first glance, nor do they like cars that don't fit into an obvious category. See Malibu Maxx for details. The Corolla would need to have a formal/traditional coupe look (like the current Civic Coupe, Kia Forte Koup, Audi A5) or extend the rear roof out to the end of the body and chop it off like the iconic 1990's Honda Civic hatchback. Too much Malibu Maxx and AMC Pacer in back.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corolla official pics!