Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trouble coming for Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Trouble coming for Lexus?

So in the last year, they've redone the GS, ES, LS, and now IS. We've all pointed out in the last few years how Lexus needed to spread out their model redesigns so there are no "lows" in between. Well, with all their core, bread and butter models now new or heavily facelifted, that means there's going to be another 6-7 year stretch of few new core products. I'm aware of the new mini SUV, upcoming coupes, a facelifted CT and GX, but most of those are niche cars or not the brand's big turn-over models. About the only high-volume model coming up for a redesign is the RX.
This has me worried. Do we foresee Lexus shooting themselves in the foot again with a long stretch of the same sedans? I'm going to assume they have some very wise people making these decision and looking into the longterm. But after extending the 2IS's life as long as they did, I have lost some faith they have full control of the situation.

*Discuss*
Old 01-13-13, 10:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the LS was really a heavy refresh so i expect a new LS in a couple of years.
the LX was a heavy refresh so that will be new in a couple of years probably.
a new RX as you said, and likely a smaller ute will also be very big news.
Old 01-13-13, 11:24 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

There almost certainly will be a refresh for the GS within 1-2 years. Reason being that Toyota/Lexus is beginning to extensively use the new 8 speed gearbox throughout its premium cars ( the upcoming Lexus IS and the just unveiled Japan-only Crown Athlete.)

If both the IS and Crown Athlete, which are both lower down the food-chain compared to the GS, have the 8 speed, stands to reason that the 8-speed for the GS, with some other additional features is just round the corner.
Old 01-13-13, 11:35 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now i hear rumors saying the next gen LC will be redesigned in 2015....which means so will the LX.
I don't know if i should believe this though, it seems too soon?
Toyota likes to extend the LC/LX life cycle..they were in development for 5 years! Twice the development time of a normal passenger vehicle as stated by Toyota.
I would think the next Gen LC/LX will be out around 2017 for the 2018 model year. With another face lift
happening in a couple of years maybe.
That would give the 200 series a model run of 10 years which seems about right for a Land Cruiser/LX.
Old 01-13-13, 11:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

While certainly a welcomed addition, I think it's going to take more than a new transmission and extra features to bring in a flood of business. Sales numbers are boosted the most with redesigned models. This is especially the case with their three main sedans.
Old 01-14-13, 12:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I think they know that things need to stay fresh and current on the market. They are just making sure they do it right the fist time around which is why some of these model are taking longer than others. They know a quality slip around 2007-2010ish caused a problem as well a decline in the quality of materials used in the cabins. 2012 was a big year, LFA production was in full swing and bearing the flag for Lexus. GS came out, CT gained popularity, refreshed RX, refreshed LX, new ES, refreshed LS.

2013 Will be a major year too with the IS really bearing the new Spindle that the LF-LC and LF-CC wear. And with that newest spindle and design language, the GX will represent the last of a generation and chapter of Lexus that we've come to know. The CT, GX and GS will get the full spindles most likely for a refresh for the next model year. And we will soon see a NX small CUV and possibly two coupes one named RC and hopefully with any luck a new SC. Hybrid and Turbo applications will spread throughout the line-up as will 8-speeds. Well that's my prediction anyway ha
Old 01-14-13, 06:19 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The five year cycle is dying. Vehicles must be updated every two or three years to stay fresh in today's environment. We're also seeing extensive revisions as early as one model year after a redesign. Some examples are the Acura ILX, Chevy Malibu, and Honda Civic. I think things are simply going back to the way they were decades ago as consumers demand more from their vehicles.

IMO, the Japanese brands will be left in the dust if they continue a pattern of cost cutting and extended model cycles (ex. Corolla). The badge on the vehicle can only carry you for so long...
Old 01-14-13, 06:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good points made here already, but I will chime in and add a few comments.

From a marketing and PR standpoint, Lexus is considering the GX refresh to be a "new model launch" so I have to believe that they are heavily revising it with a new front end with spindle, bigger wheels, maybe some changes to the rear and interior. Personally, I'd love to see them make the 5.7L available but I doubt that will happen.

Don't forget that the current GX and LX will be the last generations of BOF SUVs that Lexus builds. It was confirmed a while ago that both will move to unibody chasses in their next generations, so I doubt they will follow the LC and LC Prado life cycles. I am guessing that the GX would be based on the GS chassis, and the LX on the LS? Who knows. Either way, a midsize unibody GX would be a very "core" product that could go head to head with the X5 and Q7, and it should be here in the next 3 years or so.

RX will be redesigned in about 2.5 years, and the smaller CUV should arrive well before that. There was talk that Lexus was going with more of an "RR Evoque formula" with the NX to keep it from competing too directly with the RX so if true, expect a focus on design instead of utility and space.

IS lands mid-year and we should have an IS F in 1.5 - 2 years from now.

I think the GS refresh will be more dramatic than what we've come to expect of Lexus, with a full spindle, new front end, new engines and transmissions, and the GS F.

LS will be completely redesigned in the next 2-3 years as well.

CT is getting refreshed later this year, and some expect them to add a 300h model.

Last but not least, Lexus has already confirmed that a midsize coupe is just around the corner and we know they're hard at work on a production version of the LF-LC. Whether it's RC, SC or LC, there are good indications that there are 2 coupes coming down the pipeline.

I think Lexus has correctly realized that they need to expand their core outside of RX and ES, so they are hoping that the IS will continue to succeed, and GS and GX will become more mainstream. CT already sells well and gets a nip and tuck later this year - a second model could be another huge success. NX could add another 1,500 - 2,500 sales a month, theoretically.

Between a mix of new models and refreshes, Lexus will have enough showroom excitement to keep things going for the next 5, 6, 7 years.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-14-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 06:58 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

^ I read that the GX could ditch the body on frame setup, but nothing on the LX. Link?

I would be very sad if that happens.

I can't imagine a Land Cruiser with no solid axle in the rear, it was painful enough when they ditched the solid front end.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 01-14-13 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 07:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

new models didnt land yet and you are worrying what happnes in 2 years from now? :-).

I think Lexus is in very good position this year.
Old 01-14-13, 08:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No trouble coming. As already mentioned, Lexus is making their mid cycle refreshes more extensive, staggering the body and powertrain changes, etc. So there will always be something to keep things exciting.
Old 01-14-13, 08:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
new models didnt land yet and you are worrying what happnes in 2 years from now? :-).

I think Lexus is in very good position this year.
lol, agreed. i don't think lexus is in any trouble now or coming...
Old 01-14-13, 08:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

The way how lexus has been churning out new models for 2013, I don't see any trouble for lexus.

I'm waiting to see what they're going to do with the RC and the SC
Old 01-14-13, 08:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
^ I read that the GX could ditch the body on frame setup, but nothing on the LX. Link?

I would be very sad if that happens.

I can't imagine a Land Cruiser with no solid axle in the rear, it was painful enough when they ditched the solid front end.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ds-lineup.html

Not confirmed, but pretty close.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-14-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The problem with many newer Lexus products, IMO, is that they lost sight of what made them famous and sussessful. The company needs to get back to the way they were designing cars in the late 1990s and early 2000s.....before cost-cutting and the obsession to make everything more sport-oriented kicked in.

Quick Reply: Trouble coming for Lexus?