Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM, Isuzu planning new truck development

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 09:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default GM, Isuzu planning new truck development

GM, Isuzu planning new truck development

General Motors and Isuzu had a long and drawn-out break up that resulted in the loss of Isuzu passenger cars in the US, as well as heavy-duty truck operations for GM. Now it appears that both automakers are in talks to produce pickup trucks once again, after signing a memorandum of understanding for a new joint venture. There are really no details to go with this announcement, although The Miami Herald indicates that this could be a move to expand in emerging markets.

It is unclear if this move will have any effect on the next-generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, which will be built in Wentzville, MO. Production for the Colorado was confirmed in 2011, and the closely related GMC version was confirmed back in September. At one point, GM owned as much as 49 percent of the Japanese automaker but sold off the remaining 7.9 percent of its ownership by 2006.

Isuzu-GM Joint Development of Next-generation Pickup Truck

Tokyo, Jan. 10, 2013 - Isuzu Motors Limited (TSE 7202) and General Motors Company (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) signed a memorandum of understanding to begin talks on the potential joint development of next-generation pickup trucks.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/10/g...k-development/
Old 01-11-13, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

An almost moot story. For its last few years in the American market, Isuzu didn't even sell sell any of their own designs. The Ascender was a rebadged and decontented Chevy Trail Blazer, and the I-series pickups were equally decontented and rebadged versions of the (IMO) pitifully poor Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon. For a company with Isuzu's long (ands reasonably proud) history, their last couple of years in the American market was an acute embarassment....I'd say even ignominious.
Old 01-11-13, 09:16 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The Isuzu D-Max which is sold overseas still looks a lot like the Colorado/Canyon.
Old 01-12-13, 09:16 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An almost moot story. For its last few years in the American market, Isuzu didn't even sell sell any of their own designs. The Ascender was a rebadged and decontented Chevy Trail Blazer, and the I-series pickups were equally decontented and rebadged versions of the (IMO) pitifully poor Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon. For a company with Isuzu's long (ands reasonably proud) history, their last couple of years in the American market was an acute embarassment....I'd say even ignominious.
don't forget the rebadged frontier!

they still sell diesel box-trucks here?
Old 01-12-13, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
don't forget the rebadged frontier!
No. The rebadged Nissan Frontier is the Suzuki Equator, not an Isuzu. The Equator's American sales have been almost zero. Suzuki, of course, is also leaving the American market.....but at least they still had some of their own designs, like the excellent Kizashi sedan and the joint-Suzuki/FiatAWD SX-4.

they still sell diesel box-trucks here?
Yes, Isuzu (apparantly) still has an American-market commercial-truck site:

http://www.isuzucv.com/
Old 01-12-13, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The Isuzu D-Max which is sold overseas still looks a lot like the Colorado/Canyon.
I generally don't like to diss new vehicles (it goes against my nature), but the Colorado/Canyon, IMO, was one of the most cheaply-designed and sloppily-built pickups I'd seen in years....more so than even older Dodge Dakotas, which were known for quality-lapses. I can't comment on the Diesel version, which I haven't seen, but the last I-series gasoline pickups I saw in the U.S., before Isuzu packed up and left, being rebadged Colorados, were no more impressive. I don't see why the diesel version would be any different, unless Isuzu made some improvements to it after it left the American market....which isn't likely, since it is basically a GM design.
Old 01-12-13, 03:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe the Colorado/Canyon was a joint venture between Isuzu and GM. And I agree, they sucked and were not competitive AT ALL. For the same $$$$ you could buy a full size Silverado, which was a vastly more powerful, more capapable and better built truck.

I'm thinking the two companies are teaming up to build medium duty commerical trucks. GM has been absent in that market since they discontinued the Kodiak/GMC TopKick when they went bankrupt.
Old 01-12-13, 05:45 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I've always liked the Isuzu I-290/Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, I like it that they have 3 upgrades. Wonder which one is the highest superior upgrade...Marshall?

Last edited by SC400slide; 01-12-13 at 05:45 PM. Reason: added an "L"
Old 01-13-13, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I've always liked the Isuzu I-290/Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, I like it that they have 3 upgrades. Wonder which one is the highest superior upgrade...Marshall?
No problem. I respect your opinion, and realize that these trucks may be attractive so some people. But they aren't, and never have been, very impressive in my book. They seem to have been designed and built to a strict budget.........with a loosely-assembled feel, thin lightweight parts, and a dearth of power from the in-line 5 engine. Consumer Reports, BTW, agrees with me.

I like your Romans 3:23 signature, BTW.........It's the truth.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-13 at 02:22 PM.