Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 07:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
You're welcome. All the numbers you want are here.
http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/brand/index02.php

Right.. basically all the GS-based Toyotas compete directly with Lexus.

Not sure if it's a win-win as far as building the Lexus brand in Japan goes though. IMHO the Crown really hinders the growth of Lexus in Japan but the Toyota management must be too afraid of the short-term sales drop to let go of the Crown series.
i dont really think so... they are priced so much apart. Lexus is doing awesome if you look at that. Making a lot of cha-ching.

For instance, Crown Athlete 2.5l V6 is 3.6m while GS250 is 5.1m. 40% difference!

Overal goal is not to push Lexus to maximum sales by gimping Toyota, but to make maximum amount of money for TMC overall. So it is very good balance.

New 300h will get Lexus sales up too... Japanese like hybrids but 450h is too powerful/expensive for a lot of sales. With new IS300h and GS300h, and again maybe new RX300h (they sell RX270, cant be better), they might significantly increase Lexus sales in Japan and in rest of the markets. 2013 and especially 2014 might be record sales years for Lexus worldwide.
Old 01-30-13, 07:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You're welcome. All the numbers you want are here.
http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/brand/index02.php

Right.. basically all the GS-based Toyotas compete directly with Lexus.

Not sure if it's a win-win as far as building the Lexus brand in Japan goes though. IMHO the Crown really hinders the growth of Lexus in Japan but the Toyota management must be too afraid of the short-term sales drop to let go of the Crown series.
now that you got me looking, i just noticed how Lexus sells ES300h in Russia and its CO2 is 127g/km under EU rules, while IS300h should be 99g/km or under. Thats pretty big difference since in Japan they are a bit better for ES300h :-).
Old 01-30-13, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Lexus (42,365 sold) did outsell BMW (34,195 sold), Mercedes (33,212 sold) and Audi (21,166 sold) in 2012 in Japan too though, despite competition from the Crown.
thanks for the data

Old 01-30-13, 07:59 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont really think so... they are priced so much apart. Lexus is doing awesome if you look at that. Making a lot of cha-ching.

For instance, Crown Athlete 2.5l V6 is 3.6m while GS250 is 5.1m. 40% difference!

Overal goal is not to push Lexus to maximum sales by gimping Toyota, but to make maximum amount of money for TMC overall. So it is very good balance.

New 300h will get Lexus sales up too... Japanese like hybrids but 450h is too powerful/expensive for a lot of sales. With new IS300h and GS300h, and again maybe new RX300h (they sell RX270, cant be better), they might significantly increase Lexus sales in Japan and in rest of the markets. 2013 and especially 2014 might be record sales years for Lexus worldwide.
True. It may not be the best for the Lexus brand but it should be for TMC overall.
now that you got me looking, i just noticed how Lexus sells ES300h in Russia and its CO2 is 127g/km under EU rules, while IS300h should be 99g/km or under. Thats pretty big difference since in Japan they are a bit better for ES300h :-).
Yeah the new DI 4-cylinder hybrid in the IS300h really nails it and I do expect it to help Lexus significantly in countries that are emission-sensitive. But still I think the IS300h would help Lexus a lot in even the US, where anything 40+mpg is gold to marketing, and unique in the sports sedan segment.
Old 01-30-13, 10:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

True. It may not be the best for the Lexus brand but it should be for TMC overall.Yeah the new DI 4-cylinder hybrid in the IS300h really nails it and I do expect it to help Lexus significantly in countries that are emission-sensitive. But still I think the IS300h would help Lexus a lot in even the US, where anything 40+mpg is gold to marketing, and unique in the sports sedan segment.
yeah, this is a good way to look at it. Prius Liftback sales are down by 20% since introduction of Prius Aqua. Total Prius family sales have doubled since introduction of Aqua :-).

It is crazy but 50% of cars that Toyota sells now in Japan are Hybrid. This is very good as it makes production cheaper for all of us. Same goes for 300h powertrain, more they sell, cheaper it is to build and lower the price of cars will be.

Western Europe, Toyota Yaris and Auris, hybrids, get over >35% of sales as hybrids.
Old 02-19-13, 10:09 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

50% ehh ^ ^ ^...

i live in okinawa and they are poor, car wise, compared to mainland. i do see a lot of mini's, not many bmw's at all, and not many hybrids, compared to the amount of kei cars/vans/mini suv crossover hybrid (not in the engine hybrid sense) things and the kei mini trucks. i call the kei mini trucks the ogi (its a japanese thing) truck, which are hugely popular in okinawa.

i got myself a crown athlete that is on its way to being a decent vip contender.

Last edited by sojah; 02-19-13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 06:00 PM
HotTubTony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan

Do we have a winner for "Biggest Production Grill on a Car?" Or does Audi still hold that crown?
Old 02-21-13, 07:15 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HotTubTony
Do we have a winner for "Biggest Production Grill on a Car?" Or does Audi still hold that crown?
Lexus LS actually holds that crown
Old 02-21-13, 08:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Lexus LS actually holds that crown
well... LX and RX-F maybe :-)
Old 01-09-15, 01:44 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota Brightens Up Crown Sedan for its 60th Anniversary

It might be an unknown quantity in most parts of the world, but Toyota's Crown sedan series has been around for quite a long time – 60 years to be precise.

Introduced in 1955, it's Toyota's longest-running passenger car nameplate while also holding the distinction of being the brand's first car to be exported to the United States back in 1958.

Nowadays, it's offered in Japan and China, and to celebrate its 60th birthday, Toyota created a special edition version of the Crown Athlete that will go on sale in its home market this June in a limited run.

The commemorative edition is available in Sky Blue or Bright Green and has a chrome black front grille and trim work, matte black alloy wheels and a white leather interior among other features.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/toy...n-for-its.html