Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 12:54 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black Athlete looks sinister, I like it.
Old 01-03-13, 04:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think some people are better off not commenting at all on a certain topic if they have little idea of what they're talking about.
Knock off the personal commentary please. Just because another member disagrees with your opinion does not mean they shouldn't share their perspective here. Educate without the hate.
Old 01-03-13, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Oh my lord, look at that grill. How does that even make production?
Originally Posted by RXSF
as said, grill is hideous
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Grille looks awful
It looks (more or less) like the grille on a typical Audi...which had no problem at all getting into production. But, yes, I agree.....just like the Audi grilles, that one is a little large for my tastes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-13 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-03-13, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't seen it up close or in person yet (I hope to, if not sooner, at the D.C. Auto Show in a few weeks), but, from the image posted here, that new interior looks quite impressive......better, IMO, than the new Lexus ES350's.
Old 01-03-13, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't seen it up close or in person yet (I hope to, if not sooner, at the D.C. Auto Show in a few weeks), but, from the image posted here, that new interior looks quite impressive......better, IMO, than the new Lexus ES350's.
they aren't even in the same class. it's like saying gs has better interior than es
Old 01-03-13, 10:50 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pink 2013 Toyota Crown Shocks Japan

Source http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/pink...cks-japan.html

Just the Facts:
Toyota created a media firestorm in Japan last week when it took the wraps off a pink version of the 2013 Toyota Crown.
For generations, the Toyota Crown has been Japan's most conservative prestige sedan, aimed largely at executives.
Toyota wants to change the Crown's stuffy image with pink paint, and hopefully attract more women drivers.

TOKYO — Toyota created a media firestorm in Japan last week when it took the wraps off a pink version of the 2013 Toyota Crown.

Some likened it to seeing your grandmother in a miniskirt. Others keep frantically checking the calendar to see that it's not really April 1.

Give Toyota credit for trying something new. For generations, the Crown has been Japan's most prestigious domestic sedan, but with a stuffy old-boy image that stuffy old boys in Japan actually happen to like quite a lot.

The Crown — in pink or otherwise — is not for sale in the U.S.

Toyota dealers love the Crown, too, because it sells in strong numbers, at high margins, and for decades has effectively had no rivals.

But times change. The Japanese market is in the doldrums, and Crown sales are down as the German premium brands continue to step up their attack.

Enter a courageous Akio Toyoda, president and CEO of the Toyota Motor Corporation. As he told the media pack in Tokyo, at the last moment, he authorized a big design change on this latest Crown (which he admits some inside Toyota are against). Design and driving performance, he said, had to step up.

Along with this, he approved this new pink color, something never before seen (or dreamed of) on a Crown. The prime motive, said the Toyota boss, was to mount a dramatic change in the image of the Crown.

At the same time, the hope is to attract some new women buyers and drivers to the Crown family.

While the new pink hue has yet to be signed off for the production version of the car (although Akio Toyoda is personally pushing for it), Toyota has at least achieved one part of its mission, and how.

Japanese TV and media have been all over this new pink Crown in a way few of the preceding 13 generations (since 1955) have managed.

The most talked-about car in Japan in 2013? You may be looking at it right now.

Edmunds says: Genius or crazy? Maybe this new pink Toyota Crown is joyously a bit of both.
Old 01-03-13, 11:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

from carspyshots.net.

Looks good for Japan-only car... even that pink version looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan-04_l.jpg   Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan-06_l.jpg   Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan-08_l.jpg   Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan-01_l.jpg  
Old 01-03-13, 11:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

so who would dig this?
Attached Thumbnails Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 01-03-13, 03:07 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so who would dig this?
Toyota Crown Peptobismol Edition. Comes in a hot peptobismol pink with a year's supply of that hot pink drink.
Old 01-03-13, 03:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Toyota Crown Peptobismol Edition. Comes in a hot peptobismol pink with a year's supply of that hot pink drink.
heh, in better pics it looks really good pink... but it is not actually sold... apparently it is Japanese cherry that symbolizes spring and rebirth... otherwise plenty of pink cars sold in japan, but usually feminine kei cars.

a lot of T haters hated on it but actually I would hope they actually make it like that - for me it would symbolize choice, something that Japanese cars usually lack compared to Europeans. In reality, Crown sells in 6 colors only, 4 of which are variation of black/white.
Old 01-03-13, 05:44 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Hoovey,

You got me all excited with the 555 HP twin turbo talk.

I hit wiki and found a factory limited production version with a 652 HP twin turbo, the Toyota Crown VIP Majesta

Here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Crown_Majesta

I wonder if this car has ever been reviewed?

I also wonder if the mill in the TMG LS is the same one used in this limited production Majesta?
Old 01-03-13, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Originally Posted by rominl
they aren't even in the same class. it's like saying gs has better interior than es
The Crown's interior, in some ways, at least in the pictures, seems closer to the LS than the GS.

I probably should not have made that statement about (possibly) seeing it at next month's D.C. Auto Show. Obviously (and yes, the thought escaped me), there would be no reason to show it off there, if they are not going to bring it to the U.S.

Hyundai, though, showed off their Equus here at the D.C. Show (in South Korean home-market trim) several years before they actually decided to bring it here.
Old 01-03-13, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I admit the shocking-pink looks a little garish, but at least it isn't one of those endless funeral-home shades that so many conservative luxury-cars seem addicted to. The Hyundai Equus, for example, IMO, insults its buyers with only four available colors....black, gray, silver, and white.

And, BTW, in the mid-late 1950s, pink was a hot automotive color.....it wasn't considered effeminate back then. Elvis Presley, for example, used to give away pink Cadillacs as gifts, and owned a couple of them himself. One of them is still on display at his Graceland estate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 07:59 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That engine is pretty amazing-

6.0 L TRD V8 Biturbo 653 hp@3800-4900rpm, 1,125 NM/830lb-ft torque@2000-4000rpm

The engine in the TMG LS is a 5.0 L V8 Biturbo.

Last edited by TF109B; 01-03-13 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 09:14 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TF109B
6.0 L TRD V8 Biturbo 653 hp@3800-4900rpm, 1,125 NM/830lb-ft torque@2000-4000rpm
HOT DAMN!!!

I wanna see this in some future Lexus vehicle (like an LS-F)

Quick Reply: Toyota launches redesigned Crown flagship in Japan