Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think Lexus should do or will happen in 2014
5th Gen. LS NAIAS-Jan. 2014, 25th Anniv. Edition models, Production LF-LC, NX, RC, 2016 RX
66.67%
Significantly updated/facelift LFA, LFA replacement
20.00%
Previews of all Lexus products for the next 18 months(2014-2015/16)
26.67%
Roadster
26.67%
V12 LS
26.67%
Other; please explain why.
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus 25th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 05:43 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A huge milestone for Lexus. I don't expect anything less than the utmost in luxury, customer-oriented vehicles within the company's lineup. I do feel Lexus will continue pushing not just F-sport but also the F marquee. It is important to keep vehicles like the IS F and LFA fresh in consumers' minds, as it adds to the competition. I remember five years ago when the IS F was not even introduced, and people I knew who had Ms and AMGs were raving about how Lexus didn't have a single performance vehicle in its lineup. Now, the F (IS F and LFA) and F-sport variations have been created and quite frankly well received. A GS F, I believe, should be next, given how much praise the M5 and E63 AMG have been given. Frankly, I know I might be the minority of the group, but I think there should NOT be an LFA II. I have heard that the current LFA owners were a bit peeved about the idea of a second batch of future LFAs, when Lexus had marketed this concept as "only 500 produced." I know I'l probably get some arguments over this, but LFA II simply doesn't have the same aura as when the LFA originated in 2010. I love that Lexus has expanded its lineup and integrated a more sport-based perspective into its vehicles, and would like to see more of what it has upcoming not only for this upcoming momentous occasion but also beyond. 25 years... FTW!
Old 11-10-12, 06:54 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Ah yes, good points, totally forgot about that regarding an "LFA II". You're right, they could shock with a prototype/concept unveiling of an LFA successor, and have it actually come to market in 2016 or later.

As for the 5th gen LS, I don't think we have to wait 3 years for it either. I think at the very least we will see it premiere in about 2 years or so. Look at the Avalon for example. For 6 years it had almost no updates, then it got a nice refresh, and only 2 years later we have a totally redesigned brand new Avalon.

Toyota stated years ago that while product cycles would be getting a bit longer for quality reasons, mid-cycle updates would become more significant and meaningful. So I am absolutely certain that what we are seeing here are some of the first of these significant mid-cycle updates, first with the 2011 Avalon and now the 2013 LS. These models, while not full redesigns, are fairly significant mid-cycle updates. They got big interior upgrades, along with noticeable refinements and exterior changes. And going by the Avalon, it seems the mid-cycle updates are being pushed a bit near the end of the model's life cycle, not exactly in the middle.
Bingo! That Avalon life cycle template was my reference as to when to expect the 5th generation LS. I try my best not to make Toyota references when discussing premium/RWD Lexus models, but I've always felt that the Avalon had an invisible connection to the LS with it being the Toyota brand's flagship sedan. I think what we saw with that and the 2013 LS is a case of internal reevaluation on premium product offerings, thus delaying next generation models. I'd really like for them to bring a very ground-breaking LS to the table, that proves immune to justified criticism. Apparently some people have already seen the next generation LS privately, but are mum about its details for legal reasons and didn't respond to any questions. Before I assumed they were referring to the 2013 model, but clearly they meant a vehicle due in a few years.
Old 11-10-12, 11:24 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'd like to see a V12 LS and a new SC.
Old 11-11-12, 11:50 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Bingo! That Avalon life cycle template was my reference as to when to expect the 5th generation LS. I try my best not to make Toyota references when discussing premium/RWD Lexus models, but I've always felt that the Avalon had an invisible connection to the LS with it being the Toyota brand's flagship sedan. I think what we saw with that and the 2013 LS is a case of internal reevaluation on premium product offerings, thus delaying next generation models. I'd really like for them to bring a very ground-breaking LS to the table, that proves immune to justified criticism. Apparently some people have already seen the next generation LS privately, but are mum about its details for legal reasons and didn't respond to any questions. Before I assumed they were referring to the 2013 model, but clearly they meant a vehicle due in a few years.
While I also thought the same as you guys are for the Avalon, there was also a suspicion in my head that was sorta confirmed by the Chief Engineer on Autoline that said Toyota almost killed the car. The 2011 Avalon seemed more or less like a stop gap while they decided on what to do with the car. Avalon's Chief Engineer said they started work on the 4th Gen in late 2009 and the 2011 refresh came out in February 2010, so clearly there was no Avalon in the works while they refreshed it for 2011.

The LS might very well follow the same template, but likely under different circumstances.
Old 11-11-12, 11:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
While I also thought the same as you guys are for the Avalon, there was also a suspicion in my head that was sorta confirmed by the Chief Engineer on Autoline that said Toyota almost killed the car. The 2011 Avalon seemed more or less like a stop gap while they decided on what to do with the car. Avalon's Chief Engineer said they started work on the 4th Gen in late 2009 and the 2011 refresh came out in February 2010, so clearly there was no Avalon in the works while they refreshed it for 2011.

The LS might very well follow the same template, but likely under different circumstances.
I wouldn't read too much into that. Toyota does not make last-minute decisions like that on volume models. The Avalon is not some ultra-niche model.

I'm sure that at the high level of Toyota executives, the 2013 Avalon had been green-lighted earlier than late 2009.
Old 11-12-12, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

not sure really why 25 years has much significance, but a new ground-breaking LS would be awesome!