Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gumpert declares itself provisionally insolvent

Old 08-31-12, 12:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Gumpert declares itself provisionally insolvent

Gumpert declares itself provisionally insolvent

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/gumpe...photo-4870598/

Once asked by Adam Carolla what this blogger's two favorite cars were, I replied the Lamborghini Murcielago and the Gumpert Apollo. Proving that this August is the cruelest month as far as niche German carmakers are concerned, the latter company, Gumpert, just filed paperwork to begin provisional insolvency proceedings in Altenburg, Germany. This month has seen fellow Teutons Artega and Melkus file for bankruptcy.

The ten-year-old company had apparently been trying to break into the Chinese market and the move didn't pan out. It's not over for Gumpert – an administrator has been appointed, and we're told he sees the chance of recovery as extremely positive, so now the makers of the Apollo will return their attentions to the European market while they seek new investors.

Super sports car manufacturer in provisional insolvency

Altenburg (Germany)-based manufacturer for super sports cars, Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur GmbH, had applied for insolvency proceedings, after expected sales volumes in the major target market China couldn't be realized. Local court in Gera (Germany) appointed lawyer Mr. Görge Scheid as provisional insolvency administrator. After a first factory inspection and talks with all 30 employees, Mr. Scheid considers the business' chances of recovery as extremely beneficial.

"The super sports car "apollo", developed by Gumpert is technically mature and holds superior
performance figures compared to all other cars. Now it's essential to reactivate the European market, which has been neglected over the past years."

First discussions with potential investors take place this week.

The highly-experienced Audi-Manager Roland Gumpert, who has set up his own business ten years ago and founded Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur on January 8 2004, has created with the apollo's
development and production a worldwide street-homologated sports car, which has been unbeaten by its competitors on the Nürburgring for more than three years now.

"The Apollo has gained an exclusive fan base throughout Germany and Europe. Now we have taken care of this customer base intensely. Production continues and we hope to sell the first vehicle within this week."
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/30/g...lly-insolvent/
Old 08-31-12, 01:12 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that interior is just pathetic. You have to be real gear head to be able to live with that kind of interior.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-31-12 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 08:30 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think one of the key success to break into the Chinese market is adjustable seat... since Chinese tends to be shorter than Germans lol.

2nd most important is to deck everything out in super expensive leather, I mean what kind of corrupt, money laundering, bribe accepting government official will want to roll in a car with no leather and wet pits?
Old 08-31-12, 10:21 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
I think one of the key success to break into the Chinese market is adjustable seat... since Chinese tends to be shorter than Germans lol.

2nd most important is to deck everything out in super expensive leather, I mean what kind of corrupt, money laundering, bribe accepting government official will want to roll in a car with no leather and wet pits?
Even an interior as wonderful as the LFA Nurburgring Edition's has so far been ALL configured with leather trimmed panels instead of the default spartan-looking bare carbon fiber ones when actually built to order. Yeah it's nice that the Apollo and the LFA NE are marketed as the fastest 'Ring running production cars in the world, but that doesn't mean the potential owners want to live with the exact setup that runs the fastest lap times. They'd rather sacrifice a tiny bit of performance and be cuddled with soft leather everywhere. No one buys these cars to set lap records himself after all.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-31-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

there was only one customer, batman, that had expressed an interest.
Old 09-01-12, 08:58 AM
Bdubs
Driver School Candidate

I think it was the mouse fur interior that did them in
Old 08-30-13, 06:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Gumpert rescue falls through, company goes under

Gumpert rescue falls through, company goes under

Oh Gumpert, say it ain't so! After breaking into the supercar market eight years ago with the ugly uniquely styled and blazing quick Apollo, the German boutique automaker is finally calling it quits, World Car Fans reports.

A year ago, Gumpert declared insolvency after a disastrous foray into the Chinese market, but it seemingly was saved by a mystery investor and started focusing on the European market again. But more recently the investor reportedly stopped funding the automaker, and there also was a lack of new-car orders – a combination that can quickly kill low-volume car companies.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/30/g...usiness-video/
Old 08-31-13, 11:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think I warned about this coming very recently. These small boutique manufacturers are dropping like flies.