Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Supra Render

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 11:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs up New Supra Render

I hope it's not a repost-didn't see one from a search. Please merge if it is.
I hope it comes true

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut..._the_pipeline/

As the Supra, Celica, and MR-S (MR2) progressively disappeared over the last decade, so too did the excitement from Toyota's lineup. But sports cars are back in the Japanese giant's product plan, led by the Lexus LFA and the new Scion FR-S, which is just about to hit showroom floors. And now it appears the green lamp is finally about to be lit on a long-awaited Supra successor.

Toyota MR S
Click to view Gallery
The GRMN MRS prototype
Several years ago, Toyota's U.S.-based product planners pitched a new hybrid sports car with looks, power, and environmental credentials. Unveiled at the 2007 Detroit auto show as the FT-HS, the concept reportedly pointed the way toward a reinterpretation of the Supra.

The financial crisis of 2008 prevented the FT-HS from becoming anything more than an attractive concept. But the spirit of that coupe survived and is reportedly being channeled into the design of the on-again, off-again, on-again Supra project. The edges and sharp angles you see in the attached illustration at top are how one artist interprets the direction Toyota is believed to be heading with its new sports car.

Toyota Supra Rendering Front View
Click to view Gallery
The car's final body is expected to be dropped onto the chassis of the GRMN MRS prototype, which has already undergone testing at Fuji Speedway. GRMN stands for Gazoo Racing Meister of Nurburgring, and was named after Nurburgring expert Hiromu Naruse, Toyota's late godfather of sports car development.

Unlike the rear-drive FT-HS, the new sports coupe (it's unlikely to be called Supra) would employ an all-wheel-drive system and generate upwards of 400 horsepower. The car is rumored to feature a mid-engine-mounted, 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid setup mated to a CVT lifted from the new Lexus RX, but tuned for higher performance. The engine would drive the rear wheels, while in-wheel electric motors would power the fronts. GRMN's expertise would be utilized to help develop the car.

The million-dollar question is when we'll see it in production. It's no secret that company CEO Akio Toyoda -- weekend racer, sports car addict, and the driving force behind bringing the extravagantly priced LFA to market -- is enthusiastic about a Supra successor. Toyota bosses haven't officially approved the project, but if Toyoda has his way and the economy shows continued signs of recovery, the new coupe could be on showroom floors by late 2015 for less than $60,000.
Old 06-21-12, 11:39 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Now THAT is an amazing rendering

Can't wait to see whats in store for toyota
Old 06-22-12, 12:10 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this is ugly as sin. And I lost hope on the supra already, so many rumors and it's never coming back.
Old 06-22-12, 02:16 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd say if most of you are happy with the FRS then you should be pretty happy with whatever 'supra' comes out.
Old 06-22-12, 03:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

eh... for less than $60k? I am sure they know the base model would need to be less than $40k if they wanted to sell it.
Old 06-22-12, 06:09 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh... for less than $60k? I am sure they know the base model would need to be less than $40k if they wanted to sell it.
I don't think you remember the MSRP of the original supra do you?*It is an expensive car now, and it was even more at that time! So it would only be normal that it would come out at 60k if the performance level are up to that level.
Old 06-22-12, 06:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts

If it's price can approach $60K, then make it a Lexus

Some ugliness, but can be fixed to look real good with proper tweaks, it's just a rendering ...
Old 06-22-12, 06:57 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

All wheel drive.... 400HP... WI winters....ahhhh....one can dream, right?
Old 06-22-12, 07:07 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow, this is ugly as sin. And I lost hope on the supra already, so many rumors and it's never coming back.
I'm with you on this!
Old 06-22-12, 01:56 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

if the supra was revived, would the price of MKIV's go up or down?
Old 06-22-12, 02:45 PM
LexFather

While this has been on and off the table for years a major catalyst from my understanding is the Honda/Acura NSX. Remember back in the 1990s it was the Supra Turbo, NSX, GT-R that fought for Japanese Supremacy. Toyota wants a shot at the NSX again.

Now 20 years later the new Supra and NSX will both be V-6 hybrids.

Also to share costs and again this is rumor from me this new Supra will share with upcoming Lexus coupes to share costs. Which one I am not sure of. The GS or even LF LC is a good bet since the LF LC will debut an all new hybrid powertrain and transmission.

Old 06-22-12, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Bring the supra but leave the rendering!
Old 06-22-12, 04:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

If GTR cost 90K, if, and only if there will be a Supra, it would cost at least 70K. I will be happy if it "only" cost 60K.
Old 06-22-12, 04:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The Prius GT300 car in Japan's SuperGT is said to be using a powertrain for an upcoming Toyota/Lexus sportscar/coupe. I'm guessing the knowledge gained in that program will determine the future performance hybrid engines we might see in a car like this.
Old 06-22-12, 06:55 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old "Supra" render.

Quick Reply: New Supra Render