Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

current generation 4Runner question

Old 06-19-12, 05:06 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default current generation 4Runner question

when do you guys think Toyota is going to upgrade the motor on this particular model? the 4.0 v6 is ancient, thirsty and underpower. i like everything about the current 4Runner except the motor.
Old 06-19-12, 06:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have better luck trying your question here. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

There's nothing wrong with the 4.0L V6.
Old 06-19-12, 06:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see it happening. Similar to how Ford soldiered on with their Cologne 4.0L V6 from 90-10' IIRC. My biggest disappointment is the lack of the 4.6L V8
Old 06-19-12, 06:23 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't see it happening. Similar to how Ford soldiered on with their Cologne 4.0L V6 from 90-10' IIRC. My biggest disappointment is the lack of the 4.6L V8
I have to agree with you on the lack of V8.
Old 06-19-12, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If your budget can handle it, check out the 4Runner's upscale cousin, the Lexus GX. It comes with a V8....and much better interior trim.

However, I tend to agree with STIG....there's nothing wrong with the V6.

Originally Posted by STIG
There's nothing wrong with the 4.0L V6.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 06:32 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If your budget can handle it, check out the 4Runner's more expensive cousin, the Lexus GX. It comes with a V8....and much better interior trim.
so the current GX and 4Runner share the same platform? GX sure looks way larger compare to the 4Runner.
Old 06-19-12, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
so the current GX and 4Runner share the same platform? GX sure looks way larger compare to the 4Runner.
Yes, as I understand it, the 4Runner, GX, and FJ Cruiser all share the same basic platform, though the FJ's body and interior are clearly different from the other two. But the similarities between the 4Runner and GX are there if you look closely. The GX, of course, has the V8 engine you want primarily due to two reasons.....higher price and heavier weight due to more equipment/trim.

The 4.6L V8 was a 4Runner option, BTW, until the latest-generation model, when it was dropped. Toyota is often tight-lipped about their marketing decisions, and, to my knowledge, has not fully explained why the 4Runner V8 was dropped....though it could have been for gas-mileage, as CAFE standards wll soon apply to trucks/SUVs.
Old 06-19-12, 08:10 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, as I understand it, the 4Runner, GX, and FJ Cruiser all share the same basic platform, though the FJ's body and interior are clearly different from the other two. But the similarities between the 4Runner and GX are there if you look closely. The GX, of course, has the V8 engine you want primarily due to two reasons.....higher price and heavier weight due to more equipment/trim.

The 4.6L V8 was a 4Runner option, BTW, until the latest-generation model, when it was dropped. Toyota is often tight-lipped about their marketing decisions, and, to my knowledge, has not fully explained why the 4Runner V8 was dropped....though it could have been for gas-mileage, as CAFE standards wll soon apply to trucks/SUVs.
Actually it was the 4.7L V8
Old 06-19-12, 08:16 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

If your budget can handle it, check out the 4Runner's upscale cousin, the Lexus GX. It comes with a V8....and much better interior trim.

However, I tend to agree with STIG....there's nothing wrong with the V6.
Well a distant cousin, maybe...read on...

We will get to that...

The GX is actually based almost entirely off of the Land Cruiser Prado, found in middle east and asian markets.

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado is a model designation used in Japan, Australia, South Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia and Latin America as well as other parts of the world for light-duty, mid-sized four-wheel drive cars in the Toyota Land Cruiser line. They are produced by the Japanese car maker Toyota Motor Corporation. The car is marketed in many other parts of the developing world, such as the Caribbean and large parts of Africa.
http://www.cars-directory.net/galler...94334_9_p.html

Whether it shares a basic platform with the 4-runner or not, i guess its possible.
Old 06-19-12, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

when do you guys think Toyota is going to upgrade the motor on this particular model? the 4.0 v6 is ancient, thirsty and underpower. i like everything about the current 4Runner except the motor.
The 4.0 V6 found in the 4Runner was actually upgraded for the 2010 model, its a very good motor for the 4Runner and gets up to 22 MPG highway in the part time 4wd form.

The V8 was dropped because the 4Runner would just not sell all that much of the V8 models. There is only a 25 hp difference between the V6 4Runner and V8 Lexus. Most people who need to tow sure won't likely use a 4Runner to do it.

I actually think the GX would sell bettter if it had a V6 instead of a V8.
Old 06-19-12, 09:12 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Well a distant cousin, maybe...read on...

We will get to that...

The GX is actually based almost entirely off of the Land Cruiser Prado, found in middle east and asian markets.

http://www.cars-directory.net/galler...94334_9_p.html

Whether it shares a basic platform with the 4-runner or not, i guess its possible.
Toyota Prado to GX460 is like Toyota Camry to Lexus ES. Prado comes in diesel, which I wish we have here!!
Old 06-19-12, 09:29 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

as usual, we get the low-tech junk while the rest of the world gets the good stuff from Japan. I have no desire to buy the current-gen brick-shaped 4Runner or the GX, but would snap up a diesel Prado in a heartbeat
Old 06-19-12, 11:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hope Toyota and Lexus come out with new V6 and V8 soon, all the engines in their lineup are getting old and ancient, most models recently come out have carry over engines, cost saving? Maybe there is nothing wrong with them, but they are no longer competitive or efficent.
Old 06-19-12, 11:17 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I really hope Toyota and Lexus come out with new V6 and V8 soon, all the engines in their lineup are getting old and ancient, most models recently come out have carry over engines, cost saving? Maybe there is nothing wrong with them, but they are no longer competitive or efficent.
The 3.5L V6 in both DI and non DI is still relevant. The 4.6L V8 (truck engine i.e. GX, Tundra etc.) lacks power, rated at 301hp 329lbft. The 4.6L V8 in the LS however makes 380hp 367lbft
Old 06-20-12, 12:58 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've got one in the family that we've had since the first week of its release, and haven't had any issues with the 4.0 V6 (dual VVT-i). I don't think its under-powered, especially if you're not going to do anything like heavy towing or anything with it. I think it drives fine and fits 5 people and all their luggage for trips without fail. Our 2010 has nearly 60k miles already and motor has had 0 issues so far, just regular scheduled maintenance.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The 4.0 V6 found in the 4Runner was actually upgraded for the 2010 model, its a very good motor for the 4Runner and gets up to 22 MPG highway in the part time 4wd form.

The V8 was dropped because the 4Runner would just not sell all that much of the V8 models. There is only a 25 hp difference between the V6 4Runner and V8 Lexus. Most people who need to tow sure won't likely use a 4Runner to do it.

I actually think the GX would sell bettter if it had a V6 instead of a V8.
I have to disagree, I think the GX & LX should always be V8!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: current generation 4Runner question