Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 08:10 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura making 1sick right since 2000 Name it the "O'RLY" I'll take a page from the Rock's book...ILX..RLX...etc etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gV-...eature=related

So they will offer a GS 450h competitor 7 years later but with AWD. This engine and AWD system seem to be the preview for what goes in the American made NSX though the RL(X who cares) is made in Japan. Then with no Acura network, this will still be the Honda Legend elsewhere in the world. Why change the name, the name is the least of its problems and RLX sounds no better than RL.

I am going to assume with them going with the electric AWD, they will then offer a FWD RLXdoesn'tmatterwhattheycallit powered by the V-6 only and then the AWD model where the electric motors power the rear so they can offer a FWD flagship for more sales. No doubt it will be a cool system from what we have heard so far.

Bingo. How many names that make no sense will they use?
hahaha that took me back. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT TOOK YOU BACK!!!
Old 03-28-12, 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I am going to assume with them going with the electric AWD, they will then offer a FWD RLXdoesn'tmatterwhattheycallit powered by the V-6 only and then the AWD model where the electric motors power the rear so they can offer a FWD flagship for more sales.
i'd say that's a big assumption - i thought the rl was only avail w sh-awd? and maybe they want the motors on the back just to juice up the torque and give better fuel economy and without going v8. you know, something different like honda has been known for in the past.

so it could be good. not sure it will be, but might as well not trash their plans before we even know what they are.

Bingo. How many names that make no sense will they use?
lf-a makes no sense either, but we're all good with it, right?
Old 03-28-12, 08:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd say that's a big assumption - i thought the rl was only avail w sh-awd? and maybe they want the motors on the back just to juice up the torque and give better fuel economy and without going v8. you know, something different like honda has been known for in the past.

so it could be good. not sure it will be, but might as well not trash their plans before we even know what they are.

well regardless of if FWD will be available - and it only makes sense, if you have S250 CDI, then you can have FWD RL...

... but i have problem with the fact that there will be 300hp on front wheels and 50hp at back wheels.

No matter how you slice it, it wont feel good.

yes, it will spend a lot less fuel and be lighter, maybe even faster, but it will still have 300hp up front and 50hp at the back. No matter how hard they work to eliminate torque steer, you cant - not for what it matters in the "flasgship" car.
Old 03-28-12, 09:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well regardless of if FWD will be available - and it only makes sense, if you have S250 CDI, then you can have FWD RL...

... but i have problem with the fact that there will be 300hp on front wheels and 50hp at back wheels.

No matter how you slice it, it wont feel good.

yes, it will spend a lot less fuel and be lighter, maybe even faster, but it will still have 300hp up front and 50hp at the back. No matter how hard they work to eliminate torque steer, you cant - not for what it matters in the "flasgship" car.
The exact details of the eSHAWD system are unknown but it is rumored to have closer to 400hp then 350hp in the RL(X) with around 350 with the combined IC engine and main battery/motor connect to the DSG and then around 50hp(25hp to each wheel) with much more torque going directly to each of the rear wheels. It may be able to channel some or a lot of the 310-350hp from the ICE/main electric motor to the rear wheels also. This system sounds very complicated, I hope it works pretty seamlessly and is still able to provide a good driving experience.
Old 03-28-12, 09:12 PM
LexFather

From what we know thus far the old SHAWD system (hey another ridiculous name) will be replaced with an eSHAWD system (hey it didn't have enough letters) where the front wheels are powered by the engine and the rears by the electric motors. Again no doubt it will be brilliant in a vehicle no one will track. Its a moot point. We know the car never met sales goals, is one of the worst selling cars worldwide and AWD only increases cost. With the move to eAWD I am assuming they will offer a FWD RL an an entry way to the RL like the TL. FWD flagship baby!

I don't understand, do you have a Lexus rebuttal in every thread? LFA (no hyphen FYI) has been explained in depth on what it means. Lexus aint' changing the name of the car 3 times What on earth does the $375,000 exotic LFA have to do with this? Lexus Fuji Apex. It actually means something, not more made up monkey crap.

We should start a thread on it.
Legend
RL
RLX
SLX
MDX
RDX
ILX
Integra
CSX
EL
TL
CL
TSX
NSX
Vigor
MDX
RDX

Do they want to keep confusing the hell out of the consumer? There is no method to their naming scheme.

I said it a million times, just bringing the name back "Legend" would add sales just on the name alone. RL, RLX? Is it a SUV? Is it a new shirt by Ralph Lauren?

Rock says

Old 03-28-12, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand, do you have a Lexus rebuttal in every thread? LFA (no hyphen FYI) has been explained in depth on what it means. Lexus aint' changing the name of the car 3 times What on earth does the $375,000 exotic LFA have to do with this? Lexus Fuji Apex. It actually means something, not more made up monkey crap.
my point about the lfa was only in response to your endless vociferous rants / threads / posts against honda and acura. where lexus has been very consistent about 2 letter names suddenly we have a 3 letter one, and no, i had no idea it had something to do with a mountain in japan, but that's pretty obscure, but i digress, it's no big deal.

i agree with you that acura has been all over the map and is kind of a mess.

hopefully they get it together... it's good for everyone.

but them adding x to the rl isn't really so strange, they've pretty much gone to 3 letters.

I said it a million times, just bringing the name back "Legend"
you know that's no happening - words just aren't in for anyone in luxury worldwide.
Old 03-28-12, 09:39 PM
LexFather

my point about the lfa was only in response to your endless vociferous rants / threads / posts against honda and acura. where lexus has been very consistent about 2 letter names suddenly we have a 3 letter one, and no, i had no idea it had something to do with a mountain in japan, but that's pretty obscure, but i digress, it's no big deal.

i agree with you that acura has been all over the map and is kind of a mess.

hopefully they get it together... it's good for everyone.

but them adding x to the rl isn't really so strange, they've pretty much gone to 3 letters.

you know that's no happening - words just aren't in for anyone in luxury worldwide.
You mad about the rants, that have been gloriously accurate yet you defend over and over with sometimes overzealous attempts? Which is worse? The LFA is a $375,000 supercar, with 500 made. It is unlike any other Lexus product. The name is
Lexus
Fuji
Apex

The PINNACLE of Lexus engineering. It is explained, it makes perfect sense. Lexus didn't just give it random name where people are guessing what it was. They didn't name it LF in 2011 and then change the name to LFA in 2012. There is absolutely NO RELATION to the RLX name change from RL from Legend. None. FYI it has nothing to do with a mountain in Japan, it is in reference to the Fuji Speedway owned by Toyota, the world famous race track.

The point is quite simple. The car is already the worst selling in class, it looks barely noticeable it has no following and they intend to change the name AGAIN like that is the cars major issue? So now they intend to have past RL's resale plummet further? When a luxury brand with a clue has a car with opportunities, they fix the opportunities, they don't change the name constantly. That is some GM/Ford crap.

We both know the saying "its the product stupid". I will wait to see the car (seems to also gained the GS/5 series curved c-pilllar now) but unless its simply drop dead gorgeous and/or tens of thousands less than the competition, Acura's poor Legend/RL/RLX will continue to suffer the same poor fate since 1996.

Old 03-28-12, 09:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Adding an "X" to the name will do nothing but confuse customers. Honda/Acura is (still) clearly struggling to get oxygen to the corporate brain.

With a number of auto manufacturers, "X" is a code for AWD. In the Cadillac and Infiniti lines, for example, virtually every vehicle with an "X" in the name offers it. BMW sedans/coupes use xi for AWD.......a variation.
Old 03-29-12, 06:03 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't care what it's called as long as it is beautiful, powerful, efficient. However, the name Legend sounds wonderful. Back in the early 90's, Legend was my dream car before I even thought or knew about the name Lexus.
Old 03-29-12, 06:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The exact details of the eSHAWD system are unknown but it is rumored to have closer to 400hp then 350hp in the RL(X) with around 350 with the combined IC engine and main battery/motor connect to the DSG and then around 50hp(25hp to each wheel) with much more torque going directly to each of the rear wheels. It may be able to channel some or a lot of the 310-350hp from the ICE/main electric motor to the rear wheels also. This system sounds very complicated, I hope it works pretty seamlessly and is still able to provide a good driving experience.
they cant have 100hp from the batteries, they can have 50-60 hp from the batteries max.

And there wont be any channeling of power to the back is not going to happen, it would make no sense at all, you would have the double the weight and you would gain nothing with electric motors.

so you would have 350hp at the front, or 300hp + 50hp at the back... in fact, very similar to what RX450h does, except done supposedly sportier.

not bad, but not flagship material.
Old 03-29-12, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You mad about the rants, that have been gloriously accurate yet you defend over and over with sometimes overzealous attempts? Which is worse?
not mad and not defending honda or acura, they've made so many mistakes in recent years and chose a weaksauce strategy and it's pretty much failed. clear enough? i'm sure we agree on that. i just don't see the point in gloating and ranting about it endlessly.

The car is already the worst selling in class, it looks barely noticeable it has no following and they intend to change the name AGAIN like that is the cars major issue? So now they intend to have past RL's resale plummet further? When a luxury brand with a clue has a car with opportunities, they fix the opportunities, they don't change the name constantly. That is some GM/Ford crap.
they're in a mess but maybe they concluded they had to abandon the RL name (because as you say, it was not well received) and maybe they're trying to use the X for all cars that are SHAWD - i don't know. it's easier to be a critic than an author.

your trashing of the RL could be applied to the lexus HS for example, an abysmal failure. i know, you'll say it wasn't lexus' 'flagship' which is true, but there's not much point in going over that over and over. lexus and toyota seems to be trying to regain their mojo now, after what you will probably agree were some rough years (either PR or product). again, i want toyota and lexus (and really all brands) to blow us away! the fr-s (sorry, i've lost track if it will be offered as a toyota, or only a scion, plus the subie) is spectacular! well done toyota/subie! i'd actually love to see a luxo version made for lexus to be a boxster fighter! anyway, you don't like me talking about lexus in acura threads so i'll stop.

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I don't care what it's called as long as it is beautiful, powerful, efficient.
qft - thank you.
Old 03-29-12, 08:47 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should just go back to the name Legend. I'm tired of the letters. I'm actually fond of car models having actual names.
Old 03-29-12, 08:59 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

They should hire better designers and things will improve.
Old 03-29-12, 09:01 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
They should just go back to the name Legend. I'm tired of the letters. I'm actually fond of car models having actual names.

Agreed, and there's a new batch of strippers running out of ideas for stage names.
Old 03-29-12, 09:10 AM
LexFather

not mad and not defending honda or acura, they've made so many mistakes in recent years and chose a weaksauce strategy and it's pretty much failed. clear enough? i'm sure we agree on that. i just don't see the point in gloating and ranting about it endlessly.

they're in a mess but maybe they concluded they had to abandon the RL name (because as you say, it was not well received) and maybe they're trying to use the X for all cars that are SHAWD - i don't know. it's easier to be a critic than an author.

your trashing of the RL could be applied to the lexus HS for example, an abysmal failure. i know, you'll say it wasn't lexus' 'flagship' which is true, but there's not much point in going over that over and over. lexus and toyota seems to be trying to regain their mojo now, after what you will probably agree were some rough years (either PR or product). again, i want toyota and lexus (and really all brands) to blow us away! the fr-s (sorry, i've lost track if it will be offered as a toyota, or only a scion, plus the subie) is spectacular! well done toyota/subie! i'd actually love to see a luxo version made for lexus to be a boxster fighter! anyway, you don't like me talking about lexus in acura threads so i'll stop.

qft - thank you.
Paul, I am unsure why you continue to bring up Lexus issues here. We have talked about them, we are aware of them, no one is denying them, like the HS. The thing is at least the HS is a flop of a single car, Acura is a flop of an entire brand. No sense continuing, I've been right all along.

Quick Reply: Acura RLX