Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vid-The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Post Vid-The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled)

Interesting as this has gone viral. Cliffs;
Guy in car with camera drives
Guy in Acura TSX plows into him in neutral (reverses), then demands $500 or will call cops
Guy in car with camera explains he has camera and caught everything
Guy in car uploads video to Youtube..goes viral, everyone hates TSX guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptT_...layer_embedded

Article here since it went viral and the news got word

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...-what-it-seems

Once upon a time, angry fender-bender victims who wanted to allege the other guy was an idiot or a crook were limited to an audience of family and friends.

But as two GTA motorists are finding out, all it takes in 2012 to transform a minor car accident into a reputation-threatening debacle is a dashboard camera, YouTube and the so-called wisdom of crowds.

Last Thursday, Ajax resident Raguruban Yogarajah and Mississauga student Herman Sham were involved in a fender-bender on the 401. Neither dispute that while they were stopped in cramped rush-hour traffic, Yogarajah’s black Honda Acura rolled backwards and bumped Sham’s Subaru.

Sham believes Yogarajah was trying to scam him, and 130,000 YouTube viewers largely agree.

But Yogarajah says it was a genuine mistake. He’s worried for his family’s safety since venomous — and sometimes racist — commenters started posting his personal information online. “I work two jobs. I don’t need to go scamming for $500 to live my life,” says Yogarajah.

Sham, 24, a photography student, captured Thursday’s fender-bender on a $40 dashboard camera.

The next day, he uploaded the footage to YouTube with the title “The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled).” In the video, he added word bubbles alleging Yogarajah demanded $500 on the spot to pay for the damage.

“Please be aware of these fake accident(s),” Sham wrote online.

Viewers — more than 125,000 in the last 36 hours — have added a running commentary of vitriol, threats and racism.

One called Yogarajah a “scumbag” and posted his home address in Ajax. “Don’t underestimate technology and the power of the internet,” the commenter wrote.

Yogarajah is worried and scared.

He says the first thing he told Sham was, “Did you bump into me or did I bump into you?” His car is a manual, and he says it probably rolled backward when he distractedly took his foot off the brake.

The video doesn’t seem to show Yogarajah’s reverse lights come on. He points to this as proof he didn’t reverse, while YouTube commenters use it as proof he disconnected them and his tail lights in advance. In the sunlight’s glare, it’s impossible to tell if either was working.

Yogarajah doesn’t deny he is at fault for the collision. But he got frustrated at the scene because, he says, Sham insisted Yogarajah had reversed on purpose. So Yogarajah called police himself (a move Sham admits was “weird”).

Yogarajah, 26, works at a bank during the week and as a telecommunications sales rep on the weekends, helping support his extended family. He says he saved up for three years to buy his car and wouldn’t think of damaging it for $500.

He does, in fact, have a lengthy rap sheet of Highway Traffic Act offences — 26 in four years — but most are for licence plate issues and speeding, and he has no criminal history. He believes police stop him more frequently than others because they are suspicious of a young man of colour driving a nice car.

The YouTube video clearly shows Yogarajah’s licence plate. Since it was posted, web denizens have posted not only his address but his sister’s, where she lives with her three children.

He says he’s spoken to the Toronto police and the RCMP on six occasions about the online threats, but all have said they have no jurisdiction over YouTube and some were dismissive of his safety concerns.

Sham says he wasn’t trying to ruin Yogarajah’s reputation. He only wanted other drivers to be aware that dashboard cameras can be useful for insurance purposes.

He says he believes now that Yogarajah may have accidentally put the car in neutral, and not intentionally reversed, though he still maintains Yogarajah asked for money. “I really don’t want to screw him, or anything.”

Sham’s car damage is minor.

“It would have been solved if he just gave me a chance to talk to him,” says Yogarajah.

“It’s a minor scratch. All this trouble for no reason.”

Last edited by LexFather; 02-15-12 at 08:47 AM.

Old 02-15-12, 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

lol.. guy tries to scam someone, has video to prove it, and then alledges it is all because he has been racially profiled.

thats freaking hillarious!
Old 02-15-12, 09:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Ever since that IS with the video cam getting hit by that ISF pulling out onto the street I've been contemplating the camera. This just furthers that notion I should get one
Old 02-15-12, 10:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am contemplating getting a camera. Whats a good and inexpensive model?
Old 02-15-12, 10:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

indeed, in a lot of countries (hong kong, taiwan, etc...) a lot of people put on cameras just to avoid problems like this
Old 02-15-12, 10:23 AM
LexFather

Egads they found the guy
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post7276608

this was of note

looks like the twin of the guy that tried to pull the same crap on me last year while I was diving through Brampton. He boxed me in and swerved in to me and claimed my new Benz did $1200 dammage to his mid 90's honda civic. Started threatening to call police after i told him hes a moron and not getting any money.. he then pretended to call the police as I tried not to laugh. at that point he told me the cops told him it would be an hour and instead of waiting he would take 600 to walk away with out insurance.. I told him no.. lets go through insurance.. he got agressive and started making threats.. at the point my passenger put out his smoke and pulled out his badge (york region police sergeant) and arrested the guy for fraud...The look on the face of the moron was priceless

Old 02-15-12, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

at the point my passenger put out his smoke and pulled out his badge (york region police sergeant) and arrested the guy for fraud...The look on the face of the moron was priceless
Hahahahahahahaha
Old 02-15-12, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha the passenger part was just awesome
Old 02-15-12, 11:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Accident my butt. Throw this guy in jail!
Old 02-15-12, 12:31 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm curious if he really did call the cops and if the cops came out...
with shady people everywhere, getting one of those cameras just seems like a better and better idea...
Old 02-15-12, 12:35 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

looks like the twin of the guy that tried to pull the same crap on me last year while I was diving through Brampton. He boxed me in and swerved in to me and claimed my new Benz did $1200 dammage to his mid 90's honda civic. Started threatening to call police after i told him hes a moron and not getting any money.. he then pretended to call the police as I tried not to laugh. at that point he told me the cops told him it would be an hour and instead of waiting he would take 600 to walk away with out insurance.. I told him no.. lets go through insurance.. he got agressive and started making threats.. at the point my passenger put out his smoke and pulled out his badge (york region police sergeant) and arrested the guy for fraud...The look on the face of the moron was priceless
that's awesome! if only justice like this happens everyday!
Old 02-15-12, 02:37 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I am contemplating getting a camera. Whats a good and inexpensive model?
The one in the video is $40, and the quality isn't too bad; don't know what brand it is though.
Old 02-15-12, 03:26 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, what a shame, what people have resorted to.
Old 02-15-12, 04:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an insurance agent, I got clients tell me a lot of this kind of stories.

A good one was: one of my client was waiting behind a BMW at the exit of Chinatown parking lot. The bmw was trying to get out on the street but there was a bus coming so she had to put the car in reverse trying to avoid the accident with the bus but hit my client's car. Then she got out the car, started yelling at my client stating that he hit her car from behind, pulled out her cell phone and called 3-4 friends out of the shops to "witness" the accident. My client didn't agree, so things started to heat up and the lady treathen him that she will hire laywer to suit him if he doesn't pay the damage of $3000. Police finally came but couldn't decide who's at fault since they each had their own story, so police was going to just write an incident report to let insurance companies figure out. At that time, a bus pulled over and the driver got out the bus and said" Yo'all wanna know what just happened? I was driving the bus passing by here and saw the entire accident. My camera recorded all this! "
If the bus driver never came out and prove this, my client would be at fault in this accident. But in the end,the lady got a ticket and had to pay for my client's damage!
Wow, the look on the lady's face was just priceless!
Old 02-15-12, 07:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I am an insurance agent, I got clients tell me a lot of this kind of stories.

A good one was: one of my client was waiting behind a BMW at the exit of Chinatown parking lot. The bmw was trying to get out on the street but there was a bus coming so she had to put the car in reverse trying to avoid the accident with the bus but hit my client's car. Then she got out the car, started yelling at my client stating that he hit her car from behind, pulled out her cell phone and called 3-4 friends out of the shops to "witness" the accident. My client didn't agree, so things started to heat up and the lady treathen him that she will hire laywer to suit him if he doesn't pay the damage of $3000. Police finally came but couldn't decide who's at fault since they each had their own story, so police was going to just write an incident report to let insurance companies figure out. At that time, a bus pulled over and the driver got out the bus and said" Yo'all wanna know what just happened? I was driving the bus passing by here and saw the entire accident. My camera recorded all this! "
If the bus driver never came out and prove this, my client would be at fault in this accident. But in the end,the lady got a ticket and had to pay for my client's damage!
Wow, the look on the lady's face was just priceless!
Was it this lady?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRC7RO2tOJQ

Quick Reply: Vid-The reason why you need a dash camera (scam foiled)