Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Gen Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 10:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also if we recall the GS debuted GS 300/430/ engines and the IS debuted the NEW 2.5 and 3.5

Will that happen again?
considering that 4GR didnt get any updates at all, i cant see that but as a sign that it is going away, and possibly soon.
Old 07-09-12, 08:53 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
considering that 4GR didnt get any updates at all, i cant see that but as a sign that it is going away, and possibly soon.
4GR is used on GS250 available in Asia/Pacific region. Hopefully not on the 3gen IS.
Old 07-09-12, 09:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zen
4GR is used on GS250 available in Asia/Pacific region. Hopefully not on the 3gen IS.
i know, thats why i said it didnt get any updates... I am sure there will be IS300h and I have to wonder if thats perfect replacement for V6... it will be quite fast due to electric engines, have 200hp and get a LOT better mpg. Probably 38 mpg or so, combined...

Makes 4GR look like stone age.

But at the same time, they probably will offer small petrol engine in US at least just because people are not used to hybrids yet.
Old 07-10-12, 03:32 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i know, thats why i said it didnt get any updates... I am sure there will be IS300h and I have to wonder if thats perfect replacement for V6... it will be quite fast due to electric engines, have 200hp and get a LOT better mpg. Probably 38 mpg or so, combined...

Makes 4GR look like stone age.

But at the same time, they probably will offer small petrol engine in US at least just because people are not used to hybrids yet.
Some insights from a Lexus employee at Lexusenthusiast revealed that there will be a hybrid power train (IS300h probably) for Europe plus a gas one. And if the ES can achieve 40 MPG, I think the IS can aim higher since it's a lighter car and smaller car.
Old 07-10-12, 09:59 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asoksevil
Some insights from a Lexus employee at Lexusenthusiast revealed that there will be a hybrid power train (IS300h probably) for Europe plus a gas one. And if the ES can achieve 40 MPG, I think the IS can aim higher since it's a lighter car and smaller car.
But IS is RWD, and ES is FWD.It's achievable, but it's not cost effective to use a FWD engine in a RWD engined car.
Old 07-10-12, 11:10 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Somebody must have posted this already, but there is a picture from Lexus (http://blog.caranddriver.com/lexus-t...4-is-in-video/) floating around showing the 2014 IS with spindle grille. I think it's going to look good.
Attached Thumbnails Next-Gen Lexus IS-2014-lexus-is.jpg  
Old 07-10-12, 12:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Somebody must have posted this already, but there is a picture from Lexus (http://blog.caranddriver.com/lexus-t...4-is-in-video/) floating around showing the 2014 IS with spindle grille. I think it's going to look good.
That's not the 2014 IS, that's a shadow image of the 2013 GS.

Old 07-10-12, 01:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

yeah, although I dont think there will be a 4GR inside... they might IS300 or IS350 for Russia, but 4GR doesnt make sense if there is IS300h.

As to the FWD engine in RWD, I am sure they will reconfigure it but so what, they are going to put it into both IS and GS, as well as upcoming baby RX. Quite possibly into RX for some markets, since in China they already have 2.7l 4cly there and 200hp hybrid is better choice anyway.
Old 07-10-12, 03:18 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's not the 2014 IS, that's a shadow image of the 2013 GS.

Take a look at the link and let me know what you think. They're claiming it's the IS:
"Finally, the clip gives us a look at what appears to be the next-generation IS, which will come to market as a 2014 model. There’s nothing truly shocking here; it will adopt the same basic styling as its bigger brother, the GS. The spindle grille will be part of the deal, along with a more aggressive lower-fascia design. The new IS will make its debut sometime next year. We already knew the 2013 ES is coming to the New York auto show next month, but expect the 2013 LS to be revealed at the L.A. auto show later this year."
Old 07-10-12, 04:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Take a look at the link and let me know what you think. They're claiming it's the IS:
"Finally, the clip gives us a look at what appears to be the next-generation IS, which will come to market as a 2014 model. There’s nothing truly shocking here; it will adopt the same basic styling as its bigger brother, the GS. The spindle grille will be part of the deal, along with a more aggressive lower-fascia design. The new IS will make its debut sometime next year. We already knew the 2013 ES is coming to the New York auto show next month, but expect the 2013 LS to be revealed at the L.A. auto show later this year."
well they can claim whatever they want, as you can see with your own eyes, flip is right and they are wrong... i think it is better not to read blogs from C&D, M&T and others, you most likely will get false info from interns.
Old 07-10-12, 05:19 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

That's not an official car and driver article. It's just a "blog" article hosted on car and driver. Huge difference.
Old 07-10-12, 10:35 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cino
But IS is RWD, and ES is FWD.It's achievable, but it's not cost effective to use a FWD engine in a RWD engined car.
yeah, although I dont think there will be a 4GR inside... they might IS300 or IS350 for Russia, but 4GR doesnt make sense if there is IS300h.

As to the FWD engine in RWD, I am sure they will reconfigure it but so what, they are going to put it into both IS and GS, as well as upcoming baby RX. Quite possibly into RX for some markets, since in China they already have 2.7l 4cly there and 200hp hybrid is better choice anyway.
I'm with spwolf.

The employee said it was a 4 cylinder hybrid gasoline so it must be the ES300h but fixed and modded for RWD such as the new IS and the upcoming GS300h (I can't think of a new hybrid 4 cylinder engine). It will also stick with a v6 but no idea whether it's the current 4GR or a new one. Since the GS and the ES had their engines carried over, I'll vote for the same.

The author also messed it up... twice. He made a mistake with the "IS" being the GS and also with the "ES" being the CT.

This is obviously not the ES, that's the CT F Sport.

This is the ES:

Old 07-10-12, 11:34 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

I'm with spwolf.

The employee said it was a 4 cylinder hybrid gasoline so it must be the ES300h but fixed and modded for RWD such as the new IS and the upcoming GS300h (I can't think of a new hybrid 4 cylinder engine). It will also stick with a v6 but no idea whether it's the current 4GR or a new one. Since the GS and the ES had their engines carried over, I'll vote for the same.

The author also messed it up... twice. He made a mistake with the "IS" being the GS and also with the "ES" being the CT.

This is obviously not the ES, that's the CT F Sport.

This is the ES:

Thank you for clearing that up. I think it's very unfortunate such people are confusing their readers who merely want to know about future products. Seeing incorrect information from "professional" sources irks me to no end. The only thing that comes close to the 2014 IS is down below. I believe most have seen this, but it was shown in VERY quick procession of teasers in January. It has not resurfaced since. Its grille and light shape differ from the '13 Lexus spindlerange(LS, GS, LX, RX, and the CT200h) so since Lexus showed it themselves, this might be it. No one seems to believe me due to the "quality" of the stills, but there's a 70% chance it's the XE30 IS.
Attached Thumbnails Next-Gen Lexus IS-2014-lexus-is-xe30-front-spindle-grille.jpg   Next-Gen Lexus IS-2014-lexus-is-xe30-front-spindle-grille-2.png   Next-Gen Lexus IS-2014-lexus-is-xe30-1.png  
Old 07-11-12, 10:07 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks fellas. It is annoying how much misinformation is out there when it comes to speculation about new models.
Old 07-15-12, 10:49 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Has this picture been posted on here before?
Attached Thumbnails Next-Gen Lexus IS-292320_403275009731164_304581663_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus IS