Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2012 Buick Verano

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Give him/her my congratulations...a wise choice. I assume the non-turbo model, right? I think he/she will enjoy driving it...as I do. It will also be a lot easier to park than the former big Buicks....people at that age sometimes have trouble parking accurately. Gas mileage, however, on the Verano, is not particularly good by compact-car standards. I don't average more than about 20 in town/stop-go suburban-driving, though I've done better than the 31 EPA on the highway....as much as 33-34. The car's weight, which is a combination of the generally robust Opel construction and the thick Buick sound-insulation features, does hamper its acceleration and stop/go mileage some....but the ability to use cheaper 87-octane gas helps.

It's actually taller than the Corolla, partly because of the 18" wheels, but not necessarily any more roomy inside.

The buttons on the center-console are more or less the same as other Opel-derived Buick interiors,, including the Regal and the Encore, though the Encore does not use an Opel-based chassis and the Regal got an interior update this year. The video Buick Intellink system is somewhat complex and takes getting used to (particular for some older people), but generally better than Cadillac's CUE or the Ford/Lincoln MYTouch. You also have to reset a number of features manually on the trip computer each time you gas up....more features than I had to reset on my Outback.
I suspect that the poor fuel economy has to do with the large 4 cylinder turbo and much, much larger 2.4 4 cylinder regular engine. The increased standard equipment levels likely have more to do with weight than a few more rubber seals here and there.

That Opel Astra platform is not exlusive to the Verano or Opel. It is the same Delta II platform that is used for the Cruze.
Old 08-16-14, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I suspect that the poor fuel economy has to do with the large 4 cylinder turbo and much, much larger 2.4 4 cylinder regular engine. The increased standard equipment levels likely have more to do with weight than a few more rubber seals here and there.

The Buick Quiet tuning is far more than just a couple of seals. Among other things, it includes five layers in the roof, three in the doors/windows, and two in the firewall.....plus specially-chosen tires and sound-deadening material sprayed into most of the exposed corners/cavities. This car rides quietly for a reason. I like the low noise level, even if it means a little more money at the pumps.

The MPG does pretty well on the highway, but, yes, stop/go driving is not the best.

BTW, thanks for pointing out that posting-error on my part for the Buick waterfall grille. That was a slip-up on my part....and didn't realize it was in the wrong thread until you replied. It was based on something I thought you said in the IS thread, which, in fact, you did not. Just ignore it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-14 at 03:20 PM.