Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2012 Buick Verano

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 05:40 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to replace my IS with a bigger car due to family considerations. Between the Verano with the 2.0T engine, and the Optima with the 2.0T, what would be your choice?
Old 08-15-12, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
I need to replace my IS with a bigger car due to family considerations. Between the Verano with the 2.0T engine, and the Optima with the 2.0T, what would be your choice?
I actually bought a new non-turbo Verano a few weeks ago as my new daily-driver, but have not sampled the turbo....it has not been released yet. The turbo is rumored to be pretty much the same car, with some new paint colors, the added power, and only slight suspension modifications. I have sampled both turbo and non-turbo Optimas, but only the turbo in the EX trim-level, not the top-line turbo SX. I personally like the EX turbo, as, unlike with most manufacturers, it offers the added power without the SX's stiff underpinnings. I don't like a stiff ride, and the slightly softer EX suspension, with the turbo, is firm enough, IMO, as it is. The Optima, while very well-built, can't equal the Verano's quietness or refinement. Both the Verano and Optima are still fairly new, and don't have a track-record for long-term reliability yet.

The VW/Audi 2.0T, BTW, is also a little honey of an engine...check it out in some VW/Audi models....especially with the DSG/S-Tronic transmission. I don't think you will be disappointed. I'm convinced that the HP/torque figures in it are overrated.

One last word of caution, though. If, as you say, you are going to need more family back-seat room than in your IS, then the Verano may not be the car for you. Its back seat is basically kiddie-sized or for small adults at most, just like the IS. You'll see for yourself when you look at it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-12 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, you guys can discount some of the Verano comments I made in the opening post of this thread. Since then, I tested and drove several more Veranos (as you would expect) before I bought mine a few weeks ago and took it home. Overall, and I don't know why, both the comfort and overall driving experience on the later ones I sampled this spring and summer seemed much better than on the original one I drove last winter and wrote up for this thread. But, as I replied to mrraider above, it still is no Chevy Suburban in family-carrying capablity....just a VERY quiet and refined compact sedan. And its long-term reliability, of course, is yet unproved.....but Buick has On-Star and an excellent 4/50 and 5/100 warranty if anythng goes wrong.
Old 08-15-12, 07:53 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall

One last word of caution, though. If, as you say, you are going to need more family back-seat room than in your IS, then the Verano may not be the car for you. Its back seat is basically kiddie-sized or for small adults at most, just like the IS. You'll see for yourself when you look at it.
My wife drives a Cruze and the backseat is much more accomodating than the IS. We have ample space for a child seat in the back.
Old 08-15-12, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My wife drives a Cruze and the backseat is much more accomodating than the IS. We have ample space for a child seat in the back.
OK, if it's just going to be kiddie-seats, then that's another matter. Still, check the Verano's rear seat-room for your needs. It shares a basic platform with the Cruze and Euro-market Opel/Vauxhall Astra, but is not necessarily the exact same in interior dimensions. The Verano may be suited for kids in the back, but definitely not for large adults.
Old 08-16-12, 04:55 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

OK, if it's just going to be kiddie-seats, then that's another matter. Still, check the Verano's rear seat-room for your needs. It shares a basic platform with the Cruze and Euro-market Opel/Vauxhall Astra, but is not necessarily the exact same in interior dimensions. The Verano may be suited for kids in the back, but definitely not for large adults.
How do you find the handling? I'm worried about leaving a FR layout like the IS. The ATS seems to be too small in the back to be practical.
As for WW/Audi, the Jetta is fugly and cheap, the PAssat doesn't offer the 2.0, the CC is too expensive, and if I'm in A4 territory, might as well get a g37. Plus I'm not too keen on exploring the "german ownership experience".
Old 08-16-12, 06:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As for WW/Audi, the Jetta is fugly and cheap, the PAssat doesn't offer the 2.0, the CC is too expensive, and if I'm in A4 territory, might as well get a g37.
CC, IMO is a great looking car especially with the new tails -- but it doesn't sell well and I've seen crazy deals in the paper every weekend.
here's a 2012 with 1000 miles on it for $24.9K before any negotiating http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28153744&Log=0

Last edited by bagwell; 08-16-12 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How do you find the handling? I'm worried about leaving a FR layout like the IS.
Well, of course, the Verano was not designed to be a sports-sedan, but its handling, from the Opel/German-sourced chassis, quick-ratio electric power steering, and 18" low-profile 45-series tires, is a long way from the old Buick boat-like response of yore. Unless you are a classic aggressive canyon-carver, for most driving, I don't think you will be disappointed. On the other side of the coin, however, don't expect the traditional Buick magic-carpet ride smoothness. The ride, IMO, is not uncomfortable, but you do feel the more-sharp bumps and impacts. What is really outstanding in this car, though, is the sound insulation. It is like a tomb unless you give the engine some quick revs or drive on a really coarse road surface.
Old 08-16-12, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

everything has better space than the IS, even Yaris :-).

I dont suggest CC though because seats are pretty low even compared to IS, so you have to drop the kid in with your back, not really that nice... my buddy with CC is going to buy regular Passat probably when 2nd one comes in.
Old 08-16-12, 11:31 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

I just test drove a Verano (bottom of ladder model). The ride is exemplary, and as smooth if not more than my Lexus. The steering is precise, but over boosted. The handling can be easily fixed with a set of better tires. The list of standard amenities on the higher trims, and the price point puts Lexus to shame! The trunk is pretty big, the seats fold down (are you listening Lexus?)

When the 2.0T comes out, I will be first in line with my cheque book.
Old 08-17-12, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just test drove a Verano (bottom of ladder model). The ride is exemplary, and as smooth if not more than my Lexus. The steering is precise, but over boosted. The handling can be easily fixed with a set of better tires. The list of standard amenities on the higher trims, and the price point puts Lexus to shame! The trunk is pretty big, the seats fold down (are you listening Lexus?)

When the 2.0T comes out, I will be first in line with my cheque book.
What did you think of the sound-insulation? That is easily one of the car's best features. The electric power steering, though with a fair amount of boost as you note, is also as smooth as butter.

I plan to test-drive a turbo, too, just out of curiosity, but I have no plans to upgrade. I like the standard version.

Also keep in mind that this is a brand-new vehicle in the American market, without a previous track-record for reliability like Lexus has. My non-turbo Verano seems to have exemplary build-quality and no defects, with the (possible) exception of a tiny RPM-flare that started in some of the tranny-upshifts.
Old 08-17-12, 06:33 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

What did you think of the sound-insulation? That is easily one of the car's best features. The electric power steering, though with a fair amount of boost as you note, is also as smooth as butter.

I plan to test-drive a turbo, too, just out of curiosity, but I have no plans to upgrade. I like the standard version.

Also keep in mind that this is a brand-new vehicle in the American market, without a previous track-record for reliability like Lexus has.
No. But the components are old. The 2.4L has been in the Malibu for ages. The 2.0T is in the Regal boosted to 270hp. and was used in the Sky/Solstice with a GMPP warrantied stage 1 kit that put out 340ft-lbs of torque! Note that GM has been using DI without carbon buildup issues, unlike my glorious 4gr-fse.

As for the quiet it's almost as quiet as the Volvo S60 I tested recently.
Old 08-16-14, 10:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My 84 year old neighbor just got a new 14 Verano. It looks like it is about the exact same size as my Corolla.

So far he likes it a lot, he is a bit dismayed by the lower than expected MPG he is getting. But the features he has got he is pretty impressed with. Although he did say that the center console is a overly button happy.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-16-14 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-16-14, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My 84 year old neighbor just got a new 14 Verano. It looks like it is about the exact same size as my Corolla.

So far he likes it a lot, he is a bit dismayed by the lower than expected MPG he is getting. But the features he has got he is pretty impressed with. Although he did say that the center console is a overly button happy.
Give him/her my congratulations...a wise choice. I assume the non-turbo model, right? I think he/she will enjoy driving it...as I do. It will also be a lot easier to park than the former big Buicks....people at that age sometimes have trouble parking accurately. Gas mileage, however, on the Verano, is not particularly good by compact-car standards. I don't average more than about 20 in town/stop-go suburban-driving, though I've done better than the 31 EPA on the highway....as much as 33-34. The car's weight, which is a combination of the generally robust Opel construction and the thick Buick sound-insulation features, does hamper its acceleration and stop/go mileage some....but the ability to use cheaper 87-octane gas helps.

It's actually taller than the Corolla, partly because of the 18" wheels, but not necessarily any more roomy inside.

The buttons on the center-console are more or less the same as other Opel-derived Buick interiors,, including the Regal and the Encore, though the Encore does not use an Opel-based chassis and the Regal got an interior update this year. The video Buick Intellink system is somewhat complex and takes getting used to (particular for some older people), but generally better than Cadillac's CUE or the Ford/Lincoln MYTouch. You also have to reset a number of features manually on the trip computer each time you gas up....more features than I had to reset on my Outback.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 12:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My 84 year old neighbor just got a new 14 Verano.
the target market then.

j/k mmarshall!!!!

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive: 2012 Buick Verano