Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2012 Buick Verano

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I test-drove another Verano a couple of days ago....this time with the leather package, which includes the engine-start/stop button and a few other niceties. The full-leather seats were not only noticeably more comfortable, cushion-wise, than the earlier cloth/leatherette seats I tried (they are the same as the top-line LaCrosse leather seats), but also more-adjustable for a person my size...I could get into a better driving position than with the base cloth seats. The ride quality, for some reason, also seemed smoother....though a small amount of road noise, as with the cloth-seat model, filters in on coarse-pavement, and the exhaust makes some muffled-noise on acceleration. Otherwise, it is like a tomb inside....just the way I like it.

Folks..........I think I'm falling in love.

If I don't get another Subaru, this car is now first on my shopping-list. No, the reliability has not been proven (I'm aware of that), but, on the surface at least, it appears to be much more solid and better-built than other American-market Buicks....and, of course, from the Opel platform, has some German features to it. And recent German Opels, despite a less-than-perfect past, have been improving in reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 11:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad you liked it M! Considering your affection for past GM vehicles, it seems like a good fit. They've certainly gotten better and better.
Old 03-13-12, 01:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I noticed in Consumer Reports that no Buicks are "Recommended", due to low or declining reliability. This includes the Enclave, LaCrosse (AWD & FWD) and Regal. Chevy Cruze (Verano's cousin) is in the same spot. If this information is accurate I hope GM/Buick corrects things. Buick seems to have a lot going for them now and it would be a shame to develop a reputation for questionable reliabilty..
Old 03-13-12, 05:28 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I test-drove another Verano a couple of days ago....this time with the leather package, which includes the engine-start/stop button and a few other niceties. The full-leather seats were not only noticeably more comfortable, cushion-wise, than the earlier cloth/leatherette seats I tried (they are the same as the top-line LaCrosse leather seats), but also more-adjustable for a person my size...I could get into a better driving position than with the base cloth seats. The ride quality, for some reason, also seemed smoother....though a small amount of road noise, as with the cloth-seat model, filters in on coarse-pavement, and the exhaust makes some muffled-noise on acceleration. Otherwise, it is like a tomb inside....just the way I like it.

Folks..........I think I'm falling in love.

If I don't get another Subaru, this car is now first on my shopping-list. No, the reliability has not been proven (I'm aware of that), but, on the surface at least, it appears to be much more solid and better-built than other American-market Buicks....and, of course, from the Opel platform, has some German features to it. And recent German Opels, despite a less-than-perfect past, have been improving in reliability.
I test drove this as well Mike (I test everything right? ) and while I agree with your assessments, try an Optima... the only "negative" is size, as it's a bit larger than my previous IS... but better in every other phase, and ranks higher in MPG, power, handling, interior IMO is superior and... higher safety ratings across the board... chose over the Sonata turbo for looks, price, service

My opinion , respect yours as always... before anyone asks, due to multitude of events, had to say good-bye to the IS... and a full review is coming on the Optima if I ever get some time...
Old 03-13-12, 06:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Buick has had a long relationship with Opel since the early '70's when they marketed their cars in the US. I believe it provided an object lesson for GM that was badly needed. I bought a '72 Opel 1900 Rallye and a friend bought a Chevy Vega - both were new offerings that year and the differences were enormous. The Opel was light and nimble while the Vega was a compact tugboat. Chevy was very proud of the all-aluminum 4 cyl engine, but it was pretty much a stone. The car was slow, heavy, poorly finished, and with that new engine, subject to engine failures of a catastrophic nature. The 4-speed manual transmissions were worlds apart, the Opel was light and positive with the softest but most positive (hydraulic) clutch pedal imaginable - the Vega shifted like a dump truck. The Chevy actually made the Pinto, introduced about the same time, look like an engineering masterpiece - and that's a stretch.

On the subject of instrument panels, I've wondered of late just who lays these things out? Years ago when the conventional "steam gauges" were set into the panel it became evident that the needles should all point either straight up or to the right when all was well under the hood. It was a visual reference thing - you didn't need to read exactly how many pounds of oil pressure you had when just a glance to ensure the needle was vertical gave you the information you needed. This is particularly important when the gauge faces themselves are small and have only a narrow range of movement. However the instrument was calibrated, however it had to be rotated in the bezel, a common position for the instrument needles made them easily interpreted at a glance. If you look at the instrument panels of aircraft, racing cars, or anywhere that critical information must be read quickly, you'll see this convention in place. Normal operation = everything points up, even on the big tach, shift points are just to the right of center. Why then do so many cars today ignore this in favor of "styling"?

I'm with you Mike, visibility of the instrument panel is critical. If the steering wheel rim doesn't block important gauges (and with only a few present, they're ALL important), my hands at 10 and 2 block them quite effectively. It seems the only solution is to adjust the wheel to some odd angle reminiscent of either a fighter pilot or an Italian bus driver, all the way down, or all the way up - with appropriate settings for the seatback. Funny thing is, that with the use of "idiot lights" to warn of everything from a tire going down to the tailgate open, the critical stuff like oil pressure, battery and the like, even the warning lights are being hidden all over the binnacle, with many conveniently hidden out of sight behind the wheel.

One unexpected plus for the interior of our old minivan: two weeks ago, appropriately dressed for our rodeo season, I got into the van with my cowboy hat on. OK, I removed it for entry, but with the chill wind typical of our rodeo season, I reached across the seat and screwed it on my head for warmth. Surprise! I had plenty of clearance (3+ fingers) between the rather tall crown and the headliner. That's unusual today, even in the "cowboy Cadillac" (pickup). I guess because no one but a cowhand or a construction worker wears anything taller than a ball cap anymore, headroom is no longer a consideration, having been given up in favor of a low silhouette.

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-13-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I noticed in Consumer Reports that no Buicks are "Recommended", due to low or declining reliability. This includes the Enclave, LaCrosse (AWD & FWD) and Regal. Chevy Cruze (Verano's cousin) is in the same spot. If this information is accurate I hope GM/Buick corrects things. Buick seems to have a lot going for them now and it would be a shame to develop a reputation for questionable reliabilty..
I agree that other Buicks have questionable build-quality (I've examined all of them). I'm also aware of the Cruze's worse-than-average problem-rate. I also agree that the Verano's reliability, in the American-market, has yet to be proved. But, despite these negative omens, several things, right now, seem to be going in the Verano's favor. First, it uses a number of different parts from the Cruze, in the drivetrain and interior, including a different engine. Second, its overall material-solidness and quality seems to be, on the surface, at least, a noticeable step above other Buicks (and most other GM-badged cars). Third, the Opel Astra, which shares many components, especially inside, already has a very good reputation in Europe.
Old 03-13-12, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The Chevy actually made the Pinto, introduced about the same time, look like an engineering masterpiece - and that's a stretch.
True in some things, but don't forget the Pinto's inexcusable placement of the fuel-tank outboard of the rear frame cross-rail (making it a potential fireball in a rear-ender), because Ford management was too cheap to add another cross-rail to protect the tank like the engineers recommended. This resulted in a class-action suit, which Ford paid out BIG bucks for.

I'm with you Mike, visibility of the instrument panel is critical.
That's where, unlike with most cars, the optional leather seats in the Verano seem to make a big difference for guys my size. They are not only more comfortable, easier to slide in and out of, and softer, but also seem to adjust in a wider range up/down and in seatback-rake. The top-row of instruments is definitely easier to see with the leather seats, and the steering-wheel adjusted accordingly. With the remote-engine-start package, the seat and steering-wheel heaters also go on automatically when the temperature drops below 45 degrees....so they are warm when you actually reach the car and get in (providing that someone doesn't steal the car and drive off while you're still in the house and the engine is idling)

Normal operation = everything points up, even on the big tach, shift points are just to the right of center. Why then do so many cars today ignore this in favor of "styling"?
The probable reason, IMO, that both primary and secondary-gauge-designs are not standarized today (though most of them are either digital or circular-analog) is that the addition of so many customer-requested and government-required devices has bloated the number of warning-lights of the dash so much (ABS, traction-control, VDC, tire-pressure, check-engine, Bluetooth, etc.....) takes up so much extra dash-space that the gauges have to be squeezed in with them any way that the dash-designers can fit them in.
Old 03-13-12, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I test drove this as well Mike (I test everything right? ) and while I agree with your assessments, try an Optima... the only "negative" is size, as it's a bit larger than my previous IS... but better in every other phase, and ranks higher in MPG, power, handling, interior IMO is superior and... higher safety ratings across the board... chose over the Sonata turbo for looks, price, service

My opinion , respect yours as always... before anyone asks, due to multitude of events, had to say good-bye to the IS... and a full review is coming on the Optima if I ever get some time...
I've checked out two new Optimas....one for a full-review and another for a CL-member turbo-requested update. I agree it's a well-designed, well-built sedan, and I like almost everything about it except for the stiff ride on the SX models and the feedback-centering of the steering weel while cornering. One nice thing that I like, though, about the Optima, is that unlike with most turbo-cars, you can get an EX turbo, (and the same powertrain) without the stiffer SX turbo's suspension (IMO, comfort-wise, that's a BIG selling-point). Most manufacturers force you to get the stiffest suspensions with all of their top-line turbo-vehicles.
Old 03-13-12, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Glad you liked it M! Considering your affection for past GM vehicles, it seems like a good fit. They've certainly gotten better and better.
Most of my prior affection for GM vehicles was WAY in the past...the ones I grew up with in the 60s and early 70s. After that, IMO, most of them, like other American-badged vehicles, became junk, quality-wise....and stayed that way until the last couple of years. The Verano, IMO, appears to be the best small car to come with an American-nameplate (despite its German-derived platform) in literally decades. The Chevy Cruze is also very nice, but somewhat less-so.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 11:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....I like almost everything about it except for the stiff ride on the SX models and the feedback-centering of the steering weel while cornering. One nice thing that I like, though, about the Optima, is that unlike with most turbo-cars, you can get an EX turbo, (and the same powertrain) without the stiffer SX turbo's suspension (IMO, comfort-wise, that's a BIG selling-point). Most manufacturers force you to get the stiffest suspensions with all of their top-line turbo-vehicles.
Agree 100%... for me, I like the stiffer suspension ... EX was too soft...
Old 03-13-12, 02:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree that other Buicks have questionable build-quality (I've examined all of them). I'm also aware of the Cruze's worse-than-average problem-rate. I also agree that the Verano's reliability, in the American-market, has yet to be proved. But, despite these negative omens, several things, right now, seem to be going in the Verano's favor. First, it uses a number of different parts from the Cruze, in the drivetrain and interior, including a different engine. Second, its overall material-solidness and quality seems to be, on the surface, at least, a noticeable step above other Buicks (and most other GM-badged cars). Third, the Opel Astra, which shares many components, especially inside, already has a very good reputation in Europe.
Have you considered the Regal? It too is Opel based and a bit larger. Although according to CR the Regal's reliability is declining and not recommended at this time. I do like the looks and dimensions of both the Verano and Regal.
Old 03-13-12, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The "Verano" has to be one of the worst names I have heard in a long time.
Old 03-13-12, 04:38 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

There was a time when Ford was known for producing fireballs, and not the good kind. Prior to the Pinto, they built the early Mustangs in which the top of the fuel tank formed the trunk floor. Drop something pointy in there, or get it bounced around a bit, and BOOM!!! More recently the cruise control fiasco of the mid to late '90's turned Crown Vics and Town Cars into Zippos when parked overnight. Something would short out in the cruise module and you had a major underhood fire. Bad enough on the street, but in your garage it was catastrophic. Worse, if that were an attached garage, it could kill you and your whole family as it burned down your home. Took 'em about three years to issue a recall
Old 03-13-12, 04:40 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The "Verano" has to be one of the worst names I have heard in a long time.
I agree! If two guys buy one are they "Two Gentlemen of Verano?"
Old 03-14-12, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Have you considered the Regal? It too is Opel based and a bit larger. Although according to CR the Regal's reliability is declining and not recommended at this time. I do like the looks and dimensions of both the Verano and Regal.
I did a full-review on the Regal some time ago, at CL-member-request. It had the same set of gauges that the Verano uses, and the interior was a little larger and roomier. But its ride was too stiff for my tastes..definitely un-Buick-like. The Verano is not quite as stiff, but, of course, is still a long way from the old Buick float-mobiles (I liked the soft ride on those old Buicks, but the handling was atrocious). The Verano also has, IMO, noticeably better overall build-quality than the Regal, inside and out.

Except possibly for the present-generation Chevy Malibu, the Verano is the first GM product in some years (since the original Saturn S-series of (1990-2000) that I would seriously consider buying. For my tastes, the designers have done an excellent job on this car (though I would miss my Outback's AWD and versatile cargo-space). My only real complaint is the complex stereo/clock video-screen (I like simple controls in a car)......but, hopefully, I could get used to it. (After all, I once flew airplanes, and that takes some practice)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-12 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive: 2012 Buick Verano