Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Steve Jobs got away with a Plateless Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 12:50 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a matter of fact, it could be just two SL55s, and he just could be buying them. Like bought one, drove it for 6 months, then traded it in to the dealership for another one, asking to hold the first one for six months for him, then trade in the second one, buy the first one back and so on, so he could keep the older model
Just a thought...
Old 10-28-11, 02:44 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

when your that rich u dont really care

whats a parking ticket or a fine? or switching your car out every 6 months
Old 10-28-11, 03:04 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hollywood celebs get more attention than he did. It's just a sign of a huge ego.
Old 10-28-11, 03:42 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
when your that rich u dont really care

whats a parking ticket or a fine? or switching your car out every 6 months
How to tell when you are really and truly wealthy: You lease an identical new SL55 AMG every six months to avoid purchasing license plates.

"Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Rich Boy" (1926)
Old 10-28-11, 04:56 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving without a plate is not unusual in LA. Every time I drive through Glendale, I see dozens of cars with no plates.
Old 10-29-11, 08:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

If I could get a way with driving without a license plate, I would so do it. No red light camera or speed camera tickets.
Old 10-29-11, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
If I could get a way with driving without a license plate, I would so do it. No red light camera or speed camera tickets.
If your car was stolen, you might think otherwise. Professional thieves, of course, remove both the plates and the VIN-IDs, but many casual thiefs (and teenagers) just take a joy ride and leave the car somewhere.
Old 10-30-11, 04:09 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Very clever man. As far as his reasons, it was probably a bit of paranoia brought on when he was in his twenties. He was possibly concerned about his own safety and privacy and that of his family as well as the secrecy of meetings he had on behalf of Apple. In his mind, he may have thought that some people tracking the whereabouts of his specific Mercedes might have been able to better eavesdrop or glean new info on whatever Apple was designing/acquiring/partnering with/generally interested in. Hypothetically that would be bad for business.

Realistically, he wasn't as recognizable or even as pursued as, say, Brad Pitt. It doesn't matter. He was dogged about things he wanted to do and at this point in time he had a lot of money to accomplish whatever he wanted to, even if it meant being a part of the most monetarily wasteful car leasing arrangement just to avoid having a license plate.

It reminds me of those turtleneck sweaters he always wore. He had a whole closet full of 100 copies when he first got them custom made by a Japanese designer. He'd pull out another brand new one once he'd worn out the one he'd been wearing for a while. Stanley Kubrick reportedly did something similar: his closets were full of dozens of the same size, cut and color shirts, pants, jackets and even sneakers. Like Jobs' turtlenecks and SL55 AMG's, he kept pretty much the same style outfits for several years at a time.

Disposability has a new meaning when you're at that level. Or perhaps it's the monetary power to be able to buy a ludicrous number of the same things to future-proof yourself for the inevitable time you can't buy them any longer.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-30-11 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-31-11, 05:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If your car was stolen, you might think otherwise. Professional thieves, of course, remove both the plates and the VIN-IDs, but many casual thiefs (and teenagers) just take a joy ride and leave the car somewhere.
I realize it's only a census of one, but the casual thieves (and yes, they were teenagers) who stole my car immediately replaced the plates with (likely also stolen) temporary plates. I'd be extremely surprised if most thieves didn't do the same. It's a process that literally takes seconds and makes them far less likely to be caught....why wouldn't they?
Old 10-31-11, 06:49 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dang, you got me there. I considered the possibility of the car getting stolen. Of course if I were Steve Jobs, I'd just buy another.

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money...
Old 10-31-11, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if my cars ever get stolen, i surely don't ever want to see them again
Old 03-25-12, 11:52 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's funny is he would be identified quicker cause he had no plate!!!!!