Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New model photos leaking like never before...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 01:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default New model photos leaking like never before...

What's up with all these "accidental" new model photos lately? First the Camry a few weeks ago, then the 3-series, now the GS. These aren't the first to have this happen. This phenomenon has been picking up greatly the last few years and no doubt it's all internet related. Back in the day, you'd see maybe a Brenda Priddy photo of a heavily disguised car out in the dessert. Then the car would make it's debut at a major autoshow, online through official company photos, or in a car magazine. Now, we have leaked photos from who knows who, often days or weeks before a car debuts.

Now personally, I like this, as it gives a sneak preview and bypasses some of the suspense. But if I were a car manufacturer, I'd be VERY pissed about secret info getting out. They go through great lengths to hide these cars and embargo the media from posting what they have seen. I wonder what recourse there is to those spilling the beans or if they are even traceable? I think the days of officially official debuts might be coming to an end.
Old 08-17-11, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
But if I were a car manufacturer, I'd be VERY pissed about secret info getting out. They go through great lengths to hide these cars and embargo the media from posting what they have seen. I wonder what recourse there is to those spilling the beans or if they are even traceable? I think the days of officially official debuts might be coming to an end.
I don't usually use coarse or vulgar language, but, IMO, for something like this, screw what the manufacturers think. Unless it is something that involves national security (and cars usually don't fit that category), I don't believe in corporate "secrets". I've posted a number of times on this subject before.....the whole idea of disgusing prototypes/redesigned models with bras, tape, panels, etc... and playing a cat-and-mouse game with spy-photographers is absurd. Always was.......always will be. Cars, even prototypes/redesigns, are freely-available and freely-sold to the public.......and should be treated as such even before they officially go on sale.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-17-11 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-17-11, 07:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't usually use coarse or vulgar language, but, IMO, for something like this, screw what the manufacturers think. Unless it is something that involves national security (and cars usually don't fit that category), I don't believe in corporate "secrets". I've posted a number of times on this subject before.....the whole idea of disgusing prototypes/redesigned models with bras, tape, panels, etc... and playing a cat-and-mouse game with spy-photographers is absurd. Always was.......always will be.
they put a billion into car development, rather obvious why they want to control the experience.
Old 08-17-11, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
they put a billion into car development, rather obvious why they want to control the experience.
So? The public puts up that much (or more) to buy the products. Why not let them (and us) see what they are getting?

New model photos leaking like never before...
Leak away, guys....the more the better.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-17-11 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-17-11, 07:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So? The public puts up that much (or more) to buy the products. Why not let them (and us) see what they are getting?

Leak away, guys....the more the better.
There's a simple explanation. If manufacturers were to let out the full details and design of an upcoming model, sales of the existing model would literally seize to exist.
Old 08-17-11, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
There's a simple explanation. If manufacturers were to let out the full details and design of an upcoming model, sales of the existing model would literally seize to exist.
Not really....for two reasons. First, not everyone is going to like the new designs. Second, most manufacturers (with Honda/Acura being one of the rare exceptions) typically give out incentives to boost end-of-model-year sales, especially on slow-selling models.

In fact, I've personally gone shopping with a number of friends/colleagues who didn't care about having the latest-designs...They were willing to settle for end-of-year models, and drove home with some good bargains.

But.....OK, I've vented enough here. I'll shut up now, and let someone else get a word in.
Old 08-17-11, 08:05 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of those so called "leaks" are in fact coming from the manufactures themselves. Just like when a new iphone is about to come out you get to see all those leaked images "accidently" showing up at apples' own web site, yeah right.

They are about as accidental as Janet Jackson's nip slip during super bowl's half time show.
Old 08-17-11, 08:12 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean they aren't just **** about rock chips?

j/k...There's gotta be some sort of reason because a lot of these prototypes are wrapped up very well. Some auto manufacturers will even go to extreme lengths to hide the shape of the car and apply materials to elongate the shape of the front/rear, i've even heard some use putty to help hide the lines of the cars. I can understand if your trying to make your competitors weary of what your working on next, but that's still a lot of work to go through for just that!
Old 08-17-11, 10:26 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Not really....for two reasons. First, not everyone is going to like the new designs. Second, most manufacturers (with Honda/Acura being one of the rare exceptions) typically give out incentives to boost end-of-model-year sales, especially on slow-selling models.

In fact, I've personally gone shopping with a number of friends/colleagues who didn't care about having the latest-designs...They were willing to settle for end-of-year models, and drove home with some good bargains.

But.....OK, I've vented enough here. I'll shut up now, and let someone else get a word in.
agree!!!
Remember when the new E-Class came out and the dealer across the country offering a huge $13~$18K discount to get rid of the remaining stock....it was a hell of a deal!! I remember it only lasted like 2~3 weeks before there's all sold except few dealer that only offer a $8k discount rather then $18K
Old 08-17-11, 10:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

The more leaks the better , Actually the Germans aren't as unneccessarily secretive of their new models as the Japanese, especially Toyota/Lexus . German mags like Autobild have had very accurate depictions of the next generation models of German cars years before they are actually available , and that didn't hurt them one bit , so what's the big deal ? ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-17-11 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-17-11, 10:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm just curious if any manufacturer has tracked down where the leak came from and what consequences that person had to face (if any at all).
Old 08-17-11, 12:28 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really don't care at all. Most of these leaks, even the good spy photos you can barely make out any significant detail. I just wait until the car is released so I can see the entire car up close and see all the detail and curves with my own eyes. Leak away, don't leak, who cares. As long as the car looks good when it is finally released.
Old 08-17-11, 01:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the internet, interconnected age, mon! Any yahoo with a cell phone can snap a pic and foil an automaker's big reveal in less than 1 minute.
Old 08-17-11, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm just curious if any manufacturer has tracked down where the leak came from and what consequences that person had to face (if any at all).
What are they going to do, take him to court? Most judges and juries would laugh at a frivolous case like that and let him walk. In fact, the company itself might be fined for wasting the court's time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-17-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 02:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the leaks are intentional in many cases to create some buzz about the vehicle. None of this stuff happens by accident

Quick Reply: New model photos leaking like never before...