Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 02:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also agree people should have the right to do what they want to their car but it should also be safe.

I've watched many of these Donks in our area and some don't appear safe to me. Not everyone is going to jack up the car correctly by welding a sub-frame so the car operates safely. It costs a pretty penny to do it right. I've seen some that can't u-turn. Some that ride lopsided. Some that look like the wheels are about to fall off. Some with the front or rear scraping the ground while the other end is skyward.

I don't condone that cause it could cause an accident endangering the lives of others.
Old 04-08-11, 05:10 PM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay. i know freedom of driving is part of American life.
but.
for vast majority of drivers on the road, driving is probably the MOST important thing they can do in their life. they can easily take away other people's life if they chose to. ask yourself, when was the last time you got to make a life/death decision for others?

yet i saw people take driving extremely lightly, irresponsible driving behavior, illegal mod, poor maintenance seems to be too common to point out nowadays. if we were to apply the same logic to air travel (which really isn't all that different), then people start freaking out because unsafe air travel is such a *disaster*.

let's not forget traffic accident caused on average 42k people die every year in U.S. please allow me to repeat, 42 thousand people die every year (compare to Japan's biggest earth quake in history that ONLY [no any disrespect] killed 18 thousand people so far). worldwide, that number become 1.2 million killed + 50 million injured.

people freaking out because of earthquake, lightning strike, disease, nuclear particle. but no know seem to care that for every 100 thousand people, 15 will die every year from car accident, and close to 700 people will be injured.

i don't know what you guys think, but i am all in for a safer environment. there is no better way to provide the safety other than tighten traffic control. if that means higher vehicle registration fee, much more expensive and tighter licenses test, or required road test every year, i am all in for that. if that means oversize wheels are road hazard, then we should ban it.

you hold a lot of responsibly behind the wheel. my only regret is the traffic regulation/driver education/vehicle mandatory inspection is WAY TOO LOOSE here. heck, DMV road test doesn't even include highway driving? what in the world?
Old 04-08-11, 05:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seanlee
let's not forget traffic accident caused on average 42k people die every year in U.S. please allow me to repeat, 42 thousand people die every year (compare to Japan's biggest earth quake in history that ONLY [no any disrespect] killed 18 thousand people so far). worldwide, that number become 1.2 million killed + 50 million injured.
Let's not forget to consider using more current information too, not that it pertains all that much to this thread.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) the number of US traffic fatalities was 33K in 2010, with fatalities steadily declining over the last 5 years (some signs of progress in US).

Sorry, now back to the impounding of cars with supersized wheels...

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-08-11 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 07:56 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Let's not forget to consider using more current information too, not that it pertains all that much to this thread.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) the number of US traffic fatalities was 33K in 2010, with fatalities steadily declining over the last 5 years (some signs of progress in US).

Sorry, now back to the impounding of cars with supersized wheels...
way to go.
why not post NHTSA's trafic fatalities for the past 10, 20 years to give a better picture? it was extremely low in 2010, but doesn't mean it was always that way, or will be that way.

let me make clear, i against any sort of illegal vehcile modification with a passion. especially after market HID lights. oversize wheels raises vehicle high and in turn can blind incoming driver with your head beam. that alone should make it illegal. do you agree or disagree?

Last edited by seanlee; 04-08-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 08:09 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

let me make clear, i against any sort of illegal vehcile modification with a passion. especially after market HID lights. oversize wheels raises vehicle high and in turn can blind incoming driver with your head beam. that alone should make it illegal. do you agree or disagree?
What's your opinion then if someone is driving a stock height F250 and someone else is driving a stock height Miata, and they are both heading towards each other? In this case, they are both stock, but the F250 with his lights on will still blind the Miata driver.
Old 04-08-11, 08:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

way to go.
why not post NHTSA's trafic fatalities for the past 10, 20 years to give a better picture? it was extremely low in 2010, but doesn't mean it was always that way, or will be that way.

1. Way to go, if you like living in the past focusing on 10 to 20 years in past. Yes it wasn't always that way, we used to ride horses.

2. I really don't care about what you "are against with a passion", so nothing to agree or disagree with. On topic, I can see where some Donk cars and some lifted trucks are illegal and unsafe.
Old 04-09-11, 11:12 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how this turned into 4 pages of serious discussion on the safety impact of giant wheels when its pretty obvious what Cincinnati is doing.
Old 04-09-11, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Legal or not, and city-impounded or not, I truly don't understand this Donk-craze (on street-cars) with the monster wheels, gaudy spoke-patterns, and rubber-band tires. Not only does it seriously mess up speedometer/odometer readings (I've covered that issue in other posts), but it can be a PITA to step-up and get in and out of these cars, center-of-gravity for handling can be seriously affected, the factory warranties (if on new cars) are probably voided, and there is little or no impact-protection over broken pavement and potholes, which can lead to wheel/tire damage (though, granted, some of the wheels are so big that they can laugh at small potholes). It just doesn't make sense to me.......as I see it, there are far more sensible ways to spend one's money.
Old 04-09-11, 07:59 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

its definitely unsafe. i think i read some where long ago that if the bumper is higher than center of the wheel it should have mud flaps.... it may change from state to state though.
Old 04-10-11, 07:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anyone here (other than Funkmaster Flex) appreciate these gaudy abominations that not only are unsafe but look like some ugly *** ****?
Old 04-11-11, 08:11 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

lols...don't like pimped car at all.........so in this case, those monster truck will also being impound??
Old 04-11-11, 09:03 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

^ According to the DOT, pick-up trucks technically are not regulated for bumper height. Monster trucks, AFAIK, are not street legal. However, they still must comply to headlight height laws as well as state license plate height laws. . . but to be honest that may even apply differently to pick-ups. I was trying to avoid commenting too much, but as was pointed out (and I was not aware before-hand), noise pollution regulation is a local issue and is not something enforced or even legislated nationwide. I got too used to CA's ways of regulating everything down to how many times you're legally allowed to wipe your rear end after takin' a deuce.

The cops (in the video I linked) also pointed out that the extra heavy wheels also put undue stress on the lugs nuts and bolts, as well as the wheel hub, which can lead to premature failure. I never thought about it from that angle, but it's definitely plausible. Hey, you can even be cited (and possibly towed) for driving on bald tires or racing slicks. It happens. Guess what? Become a repeat offender, and they'll probably give up ticketing you and just impound your car too. The thing is, big bling bling 40" 747 wheels are a lot more obvious than casual bald tire.
Old 04-11-11, 09:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
I like how this turned into 4 pages of serious discussion on the safety impact of giant wheels when its pretty obvious what Cincinnati is doing.

Because that would mean discussing the forbidden topic intelligently and it must be avoided at all costs.

So lets be direct.

Donk cars are modified
Donk cars are modified by Blacks in Cincinnatti
Cincinatti has had recent racial problems with police
Cincinatti is a 'poor' community
Police want to enforce vehicle equipment laws
Police impound Donk cars only while enforcing vehicle equipment laws
Owners have to spend approx $1K to retrieve cars even after passing inspection.
Police gave no explanation before implementing enforcement
Donk community asks why target is solely on their back.

Point of article is maybe Police can go a better job with providing information to community about why they are being targeted when they are still healing from the recent riots.

ok, now lets go back to posting safety or style opinions.
Old 04-11-11, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Because that would mean discussing the forbidden topic intelligently and it must be avoided at all costs.

So lets be direct.

Donk cars are modified by Blacks in Cincinnatti
Donking is not a black issue, or even a racial issue in general. In my area, I see as many Hispanics (as many, if not more than blacks) driving cars like this, and, yes, some white guys, too, and a few Asians. It does, however, appear to be pretty much a gender-issue, as cars like this are driven almost exclusively by males (it is rare to see a female owing or driving one....among other reasons, the difficulty of entry/exit). It's also, to an extent, an age issue. You don't see many guys over 30 driving Donk cars....most that I've seen appear to be in their 20s, an sometimes teens.
Old 04-11-11, 09:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Donking is not a black issue, or even a racial issue in general. In my area, I see as many Hispanics (as many, if not more than blacks) driving cars like this, and, yes, some white guys, too, and a few Asians. It does, however, appear to be pretty much a gender-issue, as cars like this are driven almost exclusively by males (it is rare to see a female owing or driving one....among other reasons, the difficulty of entry/exit). It's also, to an extent, an age issue. You don't see many guys over 30 driving Donk cars....most that I've seen appear to be in their 20s, an sometimes teens.

If this were a national article yes you may be right. But since this is specific to Cincinatti and not VA (or Donking in general) lets focus on THIS story.

ARTICLE:
It's here where one has to mention Cincinnati's history of ill will between police and black residents, a relationship that's reportedly healing after 2001 riots. Know what could sustain those improvements? Explaining decisions rather than making unannounced shifts

Quick Reply: Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels